spelling mistake found

Two dudes in Trademeet make the same mistake. Here are the full strings.

#43623 = ~Oh, I know that... that it must have been very difficult. To save us from the beasts, I mean. But... but we are no better off. Not so long as those genies horde our very food...~

#47263 = ~I slew the beast, naturally, after a valiant struggle. A few minor scorch-marks were all I suffered for felling the beast, and its horde was mine! More gold than you could possibly imagine!~

#63028 = ~Plus, I have been able to acquire a fair horde of treasure from the endless supply of beings Carston conjures up with that machine. And usually I have little to fear from thieves and looters in here.~

The red dragon in Watcher's Keep talks about his treasure "horde".

Should be "hoard".

This game is riddled with English errors. My favorite one is when characters say "thee should" do this or that. "Thee" is an objective pronoun.

Also note when Kirinaldo says "But how did thy ever come to return so quickly?" "Thy" is not a pronoun or even a noun at all.

I also like it when characters say things like "You murdered even I!" Since when do people say "You murdered I!"?

I think, also, that Mazzy said something like "...my companions, whom were murdered." It not only sounds wrong, it is wrong. You wouldn't say "them were murdered." You would say "they were murdered" and therefore "[...], who were murdered."

This game is riddled with English errors. My favorite one is when characters say "thee should" do this or that. "Thee" is an objective pronoun.

Also note when Rodrigo says "But how did thy ever come to return so quickly?" "Thy" is not a pronoun or even a noun at all.

I also like it when characters say things like "You murdered even I!" Since when do people say "You murdered I!"?

I think, also, that Mazzy said something like "...my companions, whom were murdered." It not only sounds wrong, it is wrong. You wouldn't say "them were murdered." You would say "they were murdered" and therefore "[...], who were murdered."

Well, if you know your language so well, then you should also know that people have different words for same things etc. because they live in different regions on this world and the English is not needed to be the British or the US version to all the characters and so some of them can be Scottish...

And thy is possessive pronoun, so I would suggest to you to investing it to your language skills... and to the knowledge that the English today is not the same as it is tomorrow.

And thy is possessive pronoun, so I would suggest to you to investing it to your language skills... and to the knowledge that the English today is not the same as it is tomorrow.

Hmm...but that dictionary lists it as an adjective, not a possessive pronoun. Possessive pronouns include words like "yours", "his", "hers", and "thine", and can be subjects or objects in sentences. "Thy", though, can never be a subject or an object in a sentence, because it is not a noun. You can never say something like "The books are here; thy will be handed to you," or "My book was lost. What happened to thy?"

Calling up an answer from Answers.com without actually knowing the answer yourself is no way to argue...

...and I'd like to add that I'm sick of the excuse that "English is evolving." Yes, it is, but a sentence must always have a logical syntax. Freely interchanging subjective and objective pronouns is not just a superficial evolution of speech, it is a fundamental change to (and a degradation of) the grammar of English.

Ah...you may not be entirely wrong in calling "thy" a possessive pronoun. Look at this excerpt from Wikipedia:

Often, though, the term "possessive pronoun" is also applied to the so-called possessive adjectives (or possessive determiners). For example, in English: I lost my wallet. They are not strictly speaking pronouns because they do not substitute for a noun or noun phrase, and as such, some grammarians classify these terms in a separate lexical category called determiners (they have a syntactic role close to that of adjectives, always qualifying a noun).

So, calling "thy" a possessive pronoun is considered okay, although strictly incorrect.

I would like to add that, barring grammatical mistakes, I think the language of Baldur's Gate is a gem. I particularly like the remarks made by people you "just bump into" as you travel around. There is a playful sense of humor underlying many of them. The game is full of amusing stereotypes of characters - peasants, beggars, nobles, villains, brigands, soldiers, courtesans, and more - in addition to all the "serious" characters, namely, the characters connected with the main story and the NPCs who travel with you. These characters are all portrayed entirely through words, so the language the game employs is instrumental.

Ah...you may not be entirely wrong in calling "thy" a possessive pronoun. Look at this excerpt from Wikipedia: --- So, calling "thy" a possessive pronoun is considered okay, although strictly incorrect.
:hm: That's because there is(could have been) actual unsaid work based on the status of the subject... "But how did thy lordship ever come to return so quickly?" This word s not necessary to be said when the position is obvious, and still is kept in high regard. If it wasn't, like the speaker was the King instead of the subject, it would go: "But how did you ever come to return so quickly?"

... ah, the sodalities...

Archived