Elminster's Allusions

-JR-

I've been pondering Elminster's words from Baldur's Gate I to you the first time you meet him, if you respond politely to his query.

“That I would. The Inn is but a short distance to the north, and its doors are open to all. I have no doubt that thy friends shall be there, waiting with open arms. You shall find the protection to the north of shelter, friendship, and another kind, if thine eyes be well enough open and thy mind alert, but more of this I cannot say. My sympathies for any hardship the road may have inflicted upon thee, though I am certain everything shall turn out for the best. My, but I have wasted too much of thy time and said too much already. I shall take my leave and wish thee all the best.â€Â

"You shall find the protection to the north of shelter, friendship, and another kind, if thine eyes be well enough open and thy mind alert"

Anyone have any ideas what he's talking about?

What he actually says in my un-modded BG1 install:

That I would. The Inn is but a short distance to the north, and it's doors are open to all. I have no doubt that thy friends shall be there, waiting with open arms. My sympathies for any hardships the road may have inflicted upon thee, though I am certain everything shall turn out for the best. My, but I have wasted too much of thy time and said too much already. I shall take my leave and wish thee all the best.

Archived