PW:Kill

DarkWon

So here is how I made it work. Its the same as before except:

Effect 1: Save vs. Death at -6 or die

Effect 2: Suffer 10d4+25 magic damage (35-70; average 50)

So most characters who would have died from this spell before, still die instantly :) Because low HP enemies die instantly still, it shouldn't break the AI..and even if they use it when you're on 59hp its going to hurt you even if it doesn't kill you

Do u want to use it Demi, or still think its overpowered??

I've replied to this elsewhere for some reason, but I think you deserve a reply here in case you missed the other one. :)

Well, 50 points of magic damage on a successful save is overpowered imo.

My main issue actually is that I don't like having a PW spell deal damage at all (it's an Enchantment spell with SR). If we need to improve this spell I think I'd vote to use V3's PW Sleep as template. In this case you would have:

1. targets with less than 60hp die with no save (as per vanilla, no save)

2. those with 60 hit points or more are allowed a save vs spell to avoid being killed

This would make PW Kill a sort of "improved" Finger of Death. The latter deals damage even on a successful save, the former don't, but can kill a wounded enemy with no save, and has almost instant casting time.

What do you think?

P.S Look out for few issues with your solution in case you want to keep it. For example Death Ward doesn't protect from your secondary effect, and you can kill Mory Swords with your PW.

Guest Guest_xler_*
I've replied to this elsewhere for some reason, but I think you deserve a reply here in case you missed the other one. :)

Well, 50 points of magic damage on a successful save is overpowered imo, as it would kill most mages even on a successful save.

Doesn't PW:stun essentially "kill" mages most of the time? Not many mages have more than 90 hit points, and 4 rounds is plenty of time to remove protections and bash a helpless mage to death. I probably wouldn't use PW:Kill over PW:stun OR blind even if it was a lvl 7 or lvl 8 spell. it definitely needs something in my opinion. i agree that it shouldn't do any actual damage.

Doesn't PW:stun essentially "kill" mages most of the time? Not many mages have more than 90 hit points, and 4 rounds is plenty of time to remove protections and bash a helpless mage to death. I probably wouldn't use PW:Kill over PW:stun OR blind even if it was a lvl 7 or lvl 8 spell. it definitely needs something in my opinion. i agree that it shouldn't do any actual damage.

Xler, I think you are confused with PW:Stun, the threshold for PW:Kill is 60 not 90hp. I made mine do 50 average dmg, as I found 60 slightly excessive. Maybe even 50 is excessive...but the only reason it's there is so that it doesn't break David's "coup de grace" style use of the spell by enemy mages

Demi, what you suggest would of course be the optimum solution. I made it the only way I could within the constraints of my meager knowledge. True, if it is an enchantment then it shouldn't do damage...I assume it works by stopping the targets will to live.

Xler, I think you are confused with PW:Stun, the threshold for PW:Kill is 60 not 90hp. I made mine do 50 average dmg, as I found 60 slightly excessive. Maybe even 50 is excessive...but the only reason it's there is so that it doesn't break David's "coup de grace" style use of the spell by enemy mages
Well the average human mage in game has 40 Hit points on level 10, so he needs to be level 30 before he has the 60 HP, so it is excessive... but then again there are other spells that have 60HP instant kill, so that can't be over come... So perhaps if we adjust the HP table...

Yes the average mage only has 9 or 10 in CON in game(as it has it's base on AD&D), so the CON hit point bonus is 0, and there comes the term "average".

I'm not saying its not useful at times. I'm sure it is. I've just never had the fortitude to lug it around until I meet a less than 60hp enemy. At level 18+ any enemy that low hp usually last about....1 round?

Making it >60hp save or die was actually very easy. I don't know why I thought I couldn't do it. Works perfectly.

Archived