GEMRB on Android

Guest Chas Grady

I don't know if alx3apps has used the sdl 1.3, but the two finger scroll seems not work.

Exactly what do you mean with pseudo right-click ?

ask him about building with SDL 1.3.

if scrolling etc isnt working then it would appear that they are still using sdl 1.2 for whatever reason. Maybe they still think gemrb doesnt work with 1.3 (it does as of 0.6.5)

pseudo right click means touch+hold for 0.5 sec to emulate a right click event in gemrb.

all of those touch gestures require SDL 1.3, but once they build against 1.3 they will start working (assuming that android SDL development is par with iOS. if its not then they could concentrate on bringing touch input to android SDL rather than gemrb. gemrb already supports these gestures and i doubt we want 2 potentially conflicting touch gesture implementations in the code)

pseudo right click means touch+hold for 0.5 sec to emulate a right click event in gemrb.
Oh yes that works from long time, but i don't think that this is the best solution.

Probably it is only my personal opinion but may be better some virtual button to toggle/emulate right/left click on tap.

Or yet to use one finger only to track, and if i tap with another finger on the left of that track-finger it is a left click, instead if i tap on the right of the track-finger it is a right click.

Pardon, my horrible english doesn't permit to explain myself in a better way :cool: .

About already implemented touch enhancements - sounds cool. But android version won't compile with SDL1.3 and I haven't skills enough to fix it. Beholder knows about that problem. So for now I live with TouchScrollAreas=1 :cool:

when was the last time you tried? was it against the current gemrb git or some other branch? its quite possible that the android branch simply is lacking some of the SDL 1.3 code. It was only a couple days ago that i fixed an SDL 1.3 compile problem (missing variable declaration)

If you tell me what compile error you are getting i may be able to help you.

just a thought, but even if for whatever reason the android devs cant build with SDL 1.3, if they can catch android touch events, they could push SDL_UserEvent events and put a small ifdef above the event processing loop to convert them to touch events. they would just have to copy relavant portions the SDL 1.3 event header so they can use the requisite structs. It would be easier and preferable to re-implementing existing features.

Considering the common use in combat, wouldn't it be better to make it the left mouse button, and the right button instant?

well its certainly open for debate, but lets get touch gestures actually working on android first. Beholder ought to jump on IRC sometime and have a chat with me.

the 2 finger scroll is part of gemrb not sdl; it just requires SDL touch events which should be provided by sdl 1.3. If 2 finger scroll isn't working then it would seem that the SDL buit in this instance doesn't support touch events. I have googled around and i cant find anything regarding SDL touch on android. can any android dev look into this?

Decided to use for nightly build SDL1.2 and project version I've used for 0728_testonly version. I think It's the most stable and fast now. For proper multitouch support we need a developer with enough skills and spare time.

If someone will want to build it for android himself and will need help - PM me.

Archived