Dak'kon's Zerth Blade

Demivrgvs

Many of you asked me to work on this and I've delayed it quite a lot, but I should be able to finally include a revised version of this sword within v3.

Mercurier sent me a base template to work on (the sword is updated via dialog without touching baldur.bcs), and we may develop the concept a little bit if we wish.

Planned Features:

a) at least 2 upgrades (a +3 version and a +4)

b) blade properties based on wielder's class

a) we may even opt to make it start as a +1 weapon depending on where we place it.

b) this is anew feature which I'd like to develop (scripts should be able to detect kits, am I wrong?). Due to the weapon's background only few classes should be allowed to wield this weapon (Blade, Fighter/Mage, Kensai and Monk) and the wielder must have a good INT score (at least 13 imo). F/M would develop it as the original sword (AC and spell slots), while other classes may develop it in a slightly different way (e.g. Monk get apr bonuses, Kensai can get improved criticals, ...). Let me know what do you think about it, else we'll keep it just for Blade and F/M.

Item allocation: what about having the Cambion in the Planar Prison wield this sword instead of Adjatha The Drinker? I cannot think of a better place for it then a quite powerful fighter/mage you encounter on another Plane! :thumbsup:

This is the current "revised" background directly taken from Planescape: Torment and only slightly adjusted. Feel free to suggest improvements on it too.

"This sword was the weapon of choice of the famous githzerai Dak'kon who was killed by a powerful entity while working for a creature known as the Nameless One. Perhaps the strange circumstances of his death preserved this blade, as it would otherwise have lost its form when his will no longer shaped it.

On the githzerai's home plane of Limbo, solid matter is something of a rarity. Limbo itself is a soupy mass of elements, and only through force of will can the githzerai shape these elements into stable matter.

A substance called "karach" is a material that can be shaped with the mind. Dak'kon's blade is composed of this substance and through mental discipline alone, the wielder must maintain the integrity of the blade. He can shape it slightly depending on his skill, adjusting its length, sharpness of the edge and to a lesser extent, its magical properties. Presumably more powerful and experienced minds may be able to manipulate the blade in new ways.

It is not known whether all githzerai zerth carry such weapons, but certainly a weapon that depends on the integrity of the wielder would be entrusted only to those who had learned to discipline themselves.

This blade probably had special religious significance for Dak'kon, as he had wound a series of parchments around the hilt of the blade which appear to be mantras dedicated to Zerthimon."

b) this is the new feature which I really hope to develop (scripts should be able to detect kits, am I wrong?). Due to the weapon's background only few classes should be allowed to wield this weapon (Blade, Fighter/Mage, Kensai and Monk) and the wielder must have a good INT score (at least 13 imo). F/M would develop it as the original sword (AC and spell slots), while other classes may develop it in a slightly different way (e.g. Monk get apr bonuses, Kensai can get improved criticals, ...). Let me know what do you think about it.

Instead of scripts you can always use .eff files for bonuses for classes and "talk to the item" option for upgrades (and you can add there some wisdom/intelligence/charisma requirements).

b) this is the new feature which I really hope to develop (scripts should be able to detect kits, am I wrong?). Due to the weapon's background only few classes should be allowed to wield this weapon (Blade, Fighter/Mage, Kensai and Monk) and the wielder must have a good INT score (at least 13 imo). F/M would develop it as the original sword (AC and spell slots), while other classes may develop it in a slightly different way (e.g. Monk get apr bonuses, Kensai can get improved criticals, ...). Let me know what do you think about it.

Instead of scripts you can always use .eff files for bonuses for classes and "talk to the item" option for upgrades (and you can add there some wisdom/intelligence/charisma requirements).

I know, but it's a pain to add tons of abilities via EFF file (take a look at SSoB), while having different .itm files is rather simple if the dialog can detect your class.

Alternatively I may just leave this sword for F/M-like classes and develop another sword in a similar way (e.g. Malakar can be changed into a weapon of choice for kensais).

Ouch, I've didn't read that you can do it without baldur.bcs getting involved. What about .eff, you can do something similiar to that what I'm doing for Faiths and Pantheons - instead of granting effects via .eff you can make few .itm files and when item is held by a character with another class, use .eff for replacing it with this class's version. :thumbsup:

About requirements, what do you think about making every version of sword having greater requirements? You know, to have first version you need 11 wisdom; for +3 13 wisdom and for +4 17 wisdom? Also I think that every class from these allowed should get different attributes requirement. Kensai's and Monks rely on their Wisdom, Fighter/Mage on Intelligence, Blade on Charisma. I think that every mental attribute allow you to focus and understand something, just in this or another way.

Alternatively I may just leave this sword for F/M-like classes and develop another sword in a similar way (e.g. Malakar can be changed into a weapon of choice for kensais).

This sounds like a sensible option, if the other avenues means a lot of work.

Ouch, I've didn't read that you can do it without baldur.bcs getting involved. What about .eff, you can do something similiar to that what I'm doing for Faiths and Pantheons - instead of granting effects via .eff you can make few .itm files and when item is held by a character with another class, use .eff for replacing it with this class's version. ;)
Mmm, interesting...but I'm not sure which solution is better.

About requirements, what do you think about making every version of sword having greater requirements? You know, to have first version you need 11 wisdom; for +3 13 wisdom and for +4 17 wisdom? Also I think that every class from these allowed should get different attributes requirement. Kensai's and Monks rely on their Wisdom, Fighter/Mage on Intelligence, Blade on Charisma. I think that every mental attribute allow you to focus and understand something, just in this or another way.
It makes sense yes.

This sounds like a sensible option, if the other avenues means a lot of work.
Yep, but conceptually I'd prefer the first solution because else almost all katanas in-game would work like that, and I don't want to give such impression. Speaking of which, Valygar's katana should probably work in a similar way. :thumbsup:

Archived