How to increase base weapon damage and make game backup

Gay Lord

Hi all!

I have two questions I hope somebody can help me with.

1) I feel the base damage for 2H weapons is too low, and I'd like to to increase it. I'm undecided between 1-12 and 1-16, as I feel the damage increase from the d8 of longswords to d10 for greatswords and halberds is too small and doesn't justify losing your off hand slot.

I don't know of any mods that do this... would it be easy to do myself? Is it just the case of editing a few lines of code or something?

2) I tried reinstalling my copy of BG some years ago and couldn't, as one of the disks is scuffed. I tried again recently, and huzzah, it worked! I'm getting ready to start a new game, but now that I've successfully installed, I really want to make a backup.

I'm concerned that if I try to copy the cds as you normally would, it might not copy correctly, or at all. Is just copying the game files sufficient? Could I just burn the game folders to a dvd and be good to go, or would things like registry entries be necessary? I'm using Windows XP.

Any help or advice appreciated! Happy holidays.

2) I tried reinstalling my copy of BG some years ago and couldn't, as one of the disks is scuffed. I tried again recently, and huzzah, it worked! I'm getting ready to start a new game, but now that I've successfully installed, I really want to make a backup.

I'm concerned that if I try to copy the cds as you normally would, it might not copy correctly, or at all. Is just copying the game files sufficient? Could I just burn the game folders to a dvd and be good to go, or would things like registry entries be necessary? I'm using Windows XP.

You can always copy the whole game directory to a DVD, the installation needs to be Full-install, or a safe place in you hard drive, make a backup CD image from the play CD, in BG2 - SoA(without the ToB) it's CD2, in ToB it's the ToB CD. Then you need to remember to always use the exact same game directory, or you can always go and edit the baldur.ini file with Notepad and direct the [Alias] headers to the game directory and CD2-CD5's... and you need to start the game from the BGMain.exe if you don't have the game registered to be installed to the game directory where it stands...
1) I feel the base damage for 2H weapons is too low, and I'd like to to increase it. I'm undecided between 1-12 and 1-16, as I feel the damage increase from the d8 of longswords to d10 for greatswords and halberds is too small and doesn't justify losing your off hand slot.

I don't know of any mods that do this... would it be easy to do myself? Is it just the case of editing a few lines of code or something?

Item Revisions on this site changes the base damage of a few different weapons, including making 2H Swords deal 2d6 instead of 1d10 points of damage. The main component also tries to give two-handed weapons slightly more in terms of enchantments compared to one-handed weapons obtained at the same point in the game (in BG2). If you want to make your own custom adjustments to weapon damage, you could try looking at the code in item_rev/components/weapon_changes.tpa. If you need any help, feel free to post on here or send me a PM.

Mike, thank you. I had looked around but somehow hadn't noticed this. I've installed Item Revisions and am much happier now. Thanks!

Jarno, thanks for your help also. I had tried so many times previously to install and failed, that I had given up. Now that it miraculously worked, I want to make absolutely sure that I don't lose it again. Thanks to you. :)

Archived