The Excitement Begins Anew!

Gibberer

I've acquired Icewind Dale II, long overdue, and have decided to simply go for yet another of Domi's highly praised mods instead of doing the plain vanilla of self-invented parties.

As always, any problems are my own fault. :D

So let's see if I'm going to come crying for help with this download.

Although I was wondering why I had to pick female elves, female halflings or male dwarves to serve as the gnome's avatar? Hope I didn't mess up already... :)

Looking good so far!

So are there any opinions of a party including Sir Nord, Hildury, Peony, Salomeya and Valeero?

Prefering a mage or sorcerer I figured that not only would Sir Nord and Hildury do the heavy lifting but it was probably better to have them together for game purposes.

Sal to be the thief(not much on halflings), Peony because you need an extra mage, and Val as a toss-up. Basically any cleric was going to be the final party member.

And can the other party members be found in the game if you wish to change membership, other than your prime character?

Wind Nord, Hildury and Salomeya are good in any party. A good choice. Peony is fun, too, and yes, you'll need a healer, so Valeero's a good bet. If you're running a male PC, you'll have some fun romance competition going on with that party, too. All of the characters have entertaining and abundant banter with each other and with the PC.

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the IWD2 engine, you can't recruit party members as you go. The party you start out with is the party you'll have for the whole game. When I played, I gave Salomeya theif levels, and I was quite happy with that arrangement. So balance-wise, you should be good to go.

You really don't need a lot of rogue levels to get through IWD2, at least not if you put your points in detecting traps and opening locks. You can always go back to leveling her as a bard after a while, or alternate between one thief level and one bard level (that's what I did). I know a lot of people think that 3E was terrible (at least until 4E came out...), but there are definitely some things about it that I *love*. The ability to level in multiple classes and then go back again? Awesome. Even with my mage characters, I'll usually take a fighter level just to get access to martial weapons and armor use without having to burn feats on it.

You can import different characters if you feel like it at different stages of the game. It will be a bit discontinous, but all the NPCs have the versions on different levels.

Working so far, although a fortress is taking longer than I thought. Do one room, return to a safe place to rest, do another... :)

Archived