Masterwork Items

Ardanis

Mmm, I have to think a little about something like that, but one thing strikes me as particularly strange: how can you include +1 enchanted unique weapons in the "need to be nerfed" list?

Blade of Roses +1 would become a non-magical singing sword and ? :) Sword of Flames +1 a non-magical scimitar which inflicts fire damage?! :p

It did strike me as weird too. Since either there'd be many +1 uniques rendering obsolete plain +1 items, or there'd be non-magical flaming items. But, ain't that great for dealing with PFMW? Can't work on liches, sure, but overwhelming amount of PFMW users are generic wizards without special immunities.

PS If only weapon's extra damage could be blocked in issue-free way...

Blade of Roses +1 would become a non-magical singing sword and ? :) Sword of Flames +1 a non-magical scimitar which inflicts fire damage?! :p
Well, they become excellent/masterwork weapons... and in my mind that says flagged as none magical when viewed what it can hit, +0 to damage and original attack speed, still retaining the +1 to Thac0... just like the masterwork weapons in IwDII.
Ehm...a non-magical sword made of fire is a non-sense! :D Call me PnP purist or whatever, but I do think non-magical weapons cannot have magical abilities.

PS If only weapon's extra damage could be blocked in issue-free way...
What are you talking about? Off-hand weapon adding bonuses to main hand?

I don't see any reason to nerf the enchantment level of these +1 weapons, I think Blade of Roses and the Flaming Scimitar is fine as is. Personally I never use either weapon due to their low enchantment level already, and they would be more attractive if you systematically reduce the enchantment level of other weapons. However, if you reduce the enchantment level on these, then they will still be relatively less attractive, which is not good. If you really feel like nerfing them, you can keep them as +1 enchantment level while removing the +1 to damage/THAC0 bonus (otherwise you get absurdly good masterwork weapons to use against PFMW enemies).

Ehm...a non-magical sword made of fire is a non-sense! :) Call me PnP purist or whatever, but I do think non-magical weapons cannot have magical abilities.
Yeah, making a sword out of pure fire is nonsense, see, the weapon has a quoting/outer-layer that ignites what ever it hits, the blade itself is not made of fire, but from normal metal, or the damage would be totally fire based and something to the effect of 5-20 and with no strength bonus.
otherwise you get absurdly good masterwork weapons to use against PFMW enemies
You think it'd be absurdly good? There's Mirror Image, and casters often go under AC boosting spells. And if the weapon has no thaco bonus, it'll be only base value plus STR and proficiency.

Even if 10-12 party won't have high attack rate and thaco will remain modest, there're usually no opponents worth of cheap spellcasting interruption. And by the time such opponents appear, PCs can hold their own with convenient means.

What are you talking about? Off-hand weapon adding bonuses to main hand?
Elemental damage interrupting spellcasting. Were Pro Fire/Acid spells able to absord such attacks without harming MI, I'd say things would be balanced.

Well, that makes a point about +1 uniques remaining untouched. I guess.

Archived