Issue with item-revisions and ashes of embers mods

Strontium Dog

I'd wanted to install the item_revisions mod along with the ashes of embers mod components(ie sensible weapons proficiencies for mods etc., the latter of which allow mages to wield two-handed swords if they so choose and the multi-class grandmastery fix(of bg2tweaks?) which also conflicts with some other mod(item_revisions, I believe). From what I understand the clash between item_revisions and ashes of embers is only in the weapons-descriptions section, not the actual alteration of the weapons by the item_revisions mod, so I can install both without harming the game, as such, allowing mages to use swords etc.. How do I force this install of both mods since I think installing one forces the PC to skip the other's installation? I suppose I could install both of them before starting the whole BWP install, but I'm afraid that some other mod in the BWP install might ruin those 2 mods in some way.

Another alternative is to keep the ashes of embers mod and not install the item-revisions mod but to somehow alter the stats of the various ueber-powered weapons in the game. I , anyway, ignore the overpowered weapons added in by mods like Exnem's, I'm just concerned re cloak of mirroring or crom faeyr or soul reaver or silver sword weapons and similiar. How do I alter such weapons? it's easy to alter creature stats via shadowkeeper, but I suppose I have to use nearinfinity to alter the weapons, correct? trouble is that I have no idea how to do this and the mini-tutorial I saw online was, IMO, largely useless.

How do I force this install of both mods since I think installing one forces the PC to skip the other's installation?
Why are you asking this in here, and not in SHS's Megamod Help forum? As you see, the Ashes of Embers was in the eXpert install at least in v8.2... so you needed to manually install it anyway. I would suggest that you change these lines:
%IFXES%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%0%SK% 0 2 3 4 --logapp | %M%
%IFXGS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%3%SK% 0 2 3 4 --logapp | %M%
%IFXHS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%1%SK% 0 2 3 4 --logapp | %M%

%IF% BWP_AOE_Kits %IFXES%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%0%SK% 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 --logapp | %M%
%IF% BWP_AOE_Kits %IFXGS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%3%SK% 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 --logapp | %M%
%IF% BWP_AOE_Kits %IFXHS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%1%SK% 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 --logapp | %M%

%IFXES%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%0%SK% 12 16 17 18 19 20 21 --logapp | %M%
%IFXGS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%3%SK% 12 16 17 18 19 20 21 --logapp | %M%
%IFXHS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%1%SK% 12 16 17 18 19 20 21 --logapp | %M%

And change it so that it contains the T instead of the X, so it kinda looks like this:

%IFTES%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%0%SK% 0 2 3 4 --logapp | %M%
%IFTGS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%3%SK% 0 2 3 4 --logapp | %M%
%IFTHS%ashesofembers%S%ashesofembers%L%1%SK% 0 2 3 4 --logapp | %M%...

While remembering to install the BiG World with Tactical install, and you'll get what you want.

From what I understand the clash between item_revisions and ashes of embers is only in the weapons-descriptions section, not the actual alteration of the weapons by the item_revisions mod, so I can install both without harming the game, as such, allowing mages to use swords etc..

Correct. There shouldn't be any checks in either mod to prevent installation of the other, so feel free to install AoE on top of IR. If it were me, I'd probably try to modify the AoE .tp2 so it didn't modify any descriptions, as I'd prefer the strength/dex requirements and "Not Usable By" sections to be inaccurate than the actual item properties. If you want to do this, you'd need to search for any SAY DESC @X or SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @Y lines that you find underneath a COPY_EXISTING action (but not those under a COPY action) and comment them out with //.

Here's an example of commenting out one of them.

COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h30.itm~ // Scimitar Belm
~override\sw1h30.itm~
 //SAY DESC @278
 //SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @13
 WRITE_LONG 0x1e 0x00000000 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x29 00 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2B 02 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2D 00 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2F 00 // Usability Restrictions
 WRITE_BYTE 0x26 09 // STR requirement
 WRITE_BYTE 0x2C 09 // DEX requirement

And here's one you shouldn't comment out, since it is assigning the description to the resource that AoE adds to the game, not adjusting the description of something that IR or another mod has altered.

COPY ~AshesofEmbers\Armour\scal01.itm~
~Override\scal01.itm~
 SAY NAME1 @216
 SAY NAME2 @216
 SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @217
 SAY DESC @217

and the multi-class grandmastery fix(of bg2tweaks?) which also conflicts with some other mod(item_revisions, I believe)

There shouldn't be any conflicts between this component and IR.

Interesting, thanks. But I thought that using /* and */ was the way to comment out lines. Does using just // cancel out anything in that 1 line the // appears in.

I did aske in megamod help forum of spellhold studios but I figured I'd get more detailed info here given that people would know more, here, re the item_revisions forum.

Interesting, thanks. But I thought that using /* and */ was the way to comment out lines. Does using just // cancel out anything in that 1 line the // appears in.

Yeah. There are two ways to comment out stuff. Using /* and */ cancels out everything in between the two symbols, allowing you to comment out multi-line stuff with ease. // cancels everything after it, to the end of the line. Each have their uses.

Thanks, Mike. I spent a lot of time commenting out the various relevant lines in the ashesofembers .tp2 file, but it was worth it in the end. My trouble now is this:- when installing my BWP megamod, if I leave in the 0(zero) in the item_revisions component section, the main component of item_revisions oddly does NOT get installed; when I, out of frustration, used reverse logic and removed that 0(zero) component from next to the If%etcitem_rev wordage, then mysteriously the PC stopped its installation of BWP temporarily in order to specifically ask me which item_revisions components I wanted to install. Unfortunately, although that worked, I hadn't put in the correct directory for BG1 so the install failed. Hopefully, next time it'll install ashes of embers and the rest of the BWP without a hitch.

Archived