Dispelling Spells on Death?

Sorrow

I have a problem - I have a nasty spell that casts another spell on victim every turn until the victim makes a save.

The problem is that the spell doesn't stop working after the character dies, which leads to spamming the message window with tens of messages.

Is there any way to dispel the spell when the character dies?

I have tried to ApplySpellRES a cure on death, but it seems that the spell isn't applied at all.

Why script it at all? Just use a repeating effect opcode on the spell, or mess around with stacking effects and durations or the like.

However, if you are going to script it, you can certainly include a check in the triggers to make sure it isn't cast on a dead target.

It would probably not work if you need to save against the secondary spell (the one you cast through the casting of the primary spell), because the primary spell doesn't get a clue that it should stop.

Dispelling the primary spell would probably work I think, but then it would probably have to be done with a strange script that checks whether you saved against the secondary and I can hardly imagine it to be an easy code (with globals and checks to investigate whether you saved the effect of the secondary spell and couple that back to force-dispell the primary spell or something).

You should look at the Bigby's spells and True Sight to see how they work. They surge an effect after a certain time delay, so that may be what you are looking for instead of casting a second spell (well, true sight does cast a secondary spell but on an area and not a target, and the primary is on itself).

Why script it at all? Just use a repeating effect opcode on the spell, or mess around with stacking effects and durations or the like.

However, if you are going to script it, you can certainly include a check in the triggers to make sure it isn't cast on a dead target.

I'm talking about dispelling which is in creatures script, not the spell itself.

The spell simply casts itself on the target again and again until it saves.

I can't use scripting for applying the spell every turn, because it usually gets horribly messy.

Archived