Potential Bug: A quarter of Enemies refused to attack

tpvic

Help needed! Your time and assistance will be highly appreciated and I'd thank you in advance

Problems

Almost a quarter of the enemies, including mage and melee type, refused to attack my group. They simply stood there, turned hostile, refuse to attacked even my group was attacking them. E.g., the very first assassin Tarnesh met outside the friendly arm inn, and many other here and there.

Files needed for debugging

Since all the files needed for debugging are way too big, i zipped them (432kb) and uploaded it to rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/362649024/Debug.rar.) It contains weidu.log, SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG, BiG_World_Debug.txt.

Background

After my installation of BWP 8.3, I tried BG1, BG2, TOB half an hour each to test the stability. During these trials, I did not encounter any problems I mentioned above, i.e., tarnesh attacking my group normally. However, after I started to play more than 10+ hours, I discovered the AI issues which occur to me consistently.

At first I thought some of the files are compromised for some unknown reasons leading to such issues since I've no problem running the first time. So I simply deleted the Bgii- SOA folder and used my backup (I made a backup of the whole Bgii-soa folder (abt 16gb) right after the installation.) However, the problems I mentioned still persisted.

I used BWP8.3 setup to download the recommended version plus several other mods that are included in the standard version (When running the BiG World Install.bat, I chose "Standard", "keep them all" regarding unsuitable and fun mode, No kits installed, SCS & SCSII AI, "full plate and packing steel".) I don’t believe these mods are causing the problem but I list here just in case

Installation: BWP 8.3 Recommended version +

□ Baldurash

□ Bigg Quest pack

□ A Mod for the Orderly: 2nd time use nanoquest version

□ Tashia

□ Valen

□ Saerileth

□ Gminion

□ Ding0's quest pack

□ Solaufein Flirt Pack v4.0

□ keto

□ Gibberlings Three Anniversary

□ Romantic Encounters

□ Song and Silence

Bg2 tweaks

® Use BG1 weapon style

□ Ding0's Tweak Pack

□ Full plate and packing steel

□ Bigg Tweak Pack

□ Item revisions

® Use 1npc backstab definition

□ Change level1npcs_without_Druid_Remix_input.txt to

® 10100000

□ Follow the manual to install bg1 weapon style after level 1 npc

The link of my weidu.log (http://rapidshare.com/files/362390989/Weidu.log)

My BiG_World_Debug.txt is too large to attach here so I uploaded it to rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/356493083/BiG_World_Debug.txt) You may find some useful information here: I installed BWP several times but each time I have encounter the following error during the installation:

When installing SCSII:

ERROR: illegal 8-byte read from offset 3112 of 3052-byte file K#ANNA1.CRE

ERROR: [K#ANNA1.CRE] -> [override/K#ANNA1.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("K#ANNA1.CRE: read out of bounds"))

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [smarter general AI], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 2777 files for [sCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 6000.

Uninstalled 2777 files for [sCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 6000.

ERROR: Failure("K#ANNA1.CRE: read out of bounds")

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Smarter general AI

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [dw#sprfi.spl] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

ERROR Installing [Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 766 files for [sCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 6152.

Uninstalled 766 files for [sCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 6152.

ERROR: Failure("resource [dw#sprfi.spl] not found for 'COPY'")

….

Automatically Skipping [Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat] because of error.

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat

I suspect SCSII may be the one causing the problem however during my first trial I encountered NONE of the issues, i.e. enemies AI works.

In the BiG_World_Debug.txt you may find that there was error during the generalized_biffing. I ran the generalized_biffing again and it succesfully finished biffing.

The SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG is too large to attach here as well so I uploaded it to rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/362379601/SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG)

It seems I solved my problem and would like to report what I have done in case there is anyone encountering the same problem. It looks like it is indeed caused by the SCSII installation error due to the incompatibility b/w spell revision and SCSII, which has been fixed by the latest patch of SR (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/42220-fixes-for-the-big-fixpack/page__st__160) So basically I reinstalled the whole game with the latest patch and so far everything runs smoothly. However I still need to observe for a while since last time everything did look great in the beginning but suddenly the enemies AI just stopped working.

<b>Edit:</b> I received a formal response from SCS creator David W and it has been confirmed that the installation error is indeed caused by the incompatibility b/w Spell revisions and SCS. It can be fixed by the hotfix I mentioned above.

In addition, it seems there is an incompatibility b/w SCS and Sarah Mod. It has already been noted by the creator of SCS and Sarah mod. The workaround suggested by David W is as follows:

"the “Sarah†mod has a corrupted creature file on which SCSII is choking at install time. I’ve logged this with the mod’s author and may write a compatibility block into SCSII itself in due course; in the meantime, you can work around it by removing  “k#anna1.cre†from the override directory before SCSII installs and putting it back afterwards " by David W

I will forward the information to the BWP forum so that the workarounds can be incorporated into BWS until the incompatibility are fixed.

Question: since I have never played baldur gate 1 before, are those xvar protectors in the xvar village supposed to just stand there and won't attack even if attacked? The xvars and shamans did put up one hell of a fight, but not those xvar protectors. I was wondering whether it is normal. Thanks!

Question: since I have never played baldur gate 1 before, are those xvar protectors in the xvar village supposed to just stand there and won't attack even if attacked? The xvars and shamans did put up one hell of a fight, but not those xvar protectors. I was wondering whether it is normal. Thanks!

That has been my experience also, there are several clumps of 4-6 Protectors that just won't move unless you start bashing their heads in. And sometimes not even then... :)

Those Xvarts are from Dark Side of the Sword Coast which napped the code for it from Big Picture. Unfortunately those Xvarts still use Big Picture scripts, which means they'll be standing around doing nothing, unless you install the core component of Big Picture (AI and some gameplay enhancements). But BP AI and SCS AI are absolutely incompatible. An Installation with both AIs should be avoided at all costs.

10th

Those Xvarts are from Dark Side of the Sword Coast which napped the code for it from Big Picture. Unfortunately those Xvarts still use Big Picture scripts, which means they'll be standing around doing nothing, unless you install the core component of Big Picture (AI and some gameplay enhancements). But BP AI and SCS AI are absolutely incompatible. An Installation with both AIs should be avoided at all costs.

10th

So in short - another reason to avoid DSotSC?

Is this an incompatibility between:

1) BP-DSotSC

2) BP-SCS

3) BP-DSotSC-SCS

I don't think SCS is involved in this cause it looks like the Xvarts can't move cause they spawn on top of each other or something. And their spawns are controlled by BP (Improved Xvart Village) and DSotSC which add Protector spawning blocks to the area script ... (I remember moving within melee range and the protectors start to attack and it looks like they have 4 hands :p) If it's just BP and DSotSC, would someone with an ongoing install report this in the BP Forums?? :)

@Dakk

DSotSC has - as far as I know - only two instances where it is dependend on other mods:

- Duergar Skeleton Conjurers don't summon skeletons unless you have TDD installed and fixed either their dialogue or their script.

- the Xvart village, as it's an adaption of the BP-component, but without changing the script from BPsomething to original game scripts WTA/WDAsomething.

Apart from those two issues and some items, which don't work as advertised - Stormcloud Kraken's Bane for instance, it's a very good mod and I inlclude it in everyone of my custom BWP installs, just like SCS and SCS II :)

@Lollorian

It's not a problem with BP per se, it's rather a couple of adaption bugs in DSotSC itself. Those bugs are still unfixed (unless you count erebusant's local installation :p ), as there's been no new release of DSotSC in quite some time.

10th

It's not a problem with BP per se, it's rather a couple of adaption bugs in DSotSC itself. Those bugs are still unfixed (unless you count erebusant's local installation :hm: ), as there's been no new release of DSotSC in quite some time.
Tbh I linked to the BP Forum cause horred the plague looked much more active than erebusant :hm: (and I thought there was a much better likelihood of this thing being immediately fixed in there :p)

So, if erebusant's local install already has this fixed, it will probably be included in the next DSotSC as well (he recently said it'll be out in the next couple of weeks :D) If peeps still wanna remind him (cause I haven't seen this kinda stuff in the DSotSC forums) you might wanna go ahead :)

Thx for all the info. At least now I know i'm not alone. Fortunately it's not a game breaking bug.

I've already put a friendly reminder on DSotSC forum.

I have contacted SCS developer david w and included his formal response on the second reply. It seems there is an incompatibility b/w SCS and Sarah mod which may cause problems as well. There is a workaround in his reply. I will forward his solutions to the BWP team.

Archived