Unsual question

Strontium Dog

OK, I fouled up my last game due to adding moinesse avatars which meant that every time I tried to rest the game CTDed automatically. Unfortunately this happened more towards the mid-point of the game, not before.

Anyway, things are mostly solved now, but the instructions for vista seem confusing and I may have left out or wrongly included a space or quotation-mark or whatever. Can someone give me a precise set of instructions for how to adapt to vista? Thanks.

One last thing, I am doing a complicated mix of some spells from the spell_rev mod, some from the spell-50 mod and some from the spell-pack mod. Unfortunately, unlike the other two, spellpack doesn't easily allow one to avoid installing the spells one doesn't like in each component. I checked the spellpack .tp2 file and found out which files have to be put into the override folder for the "wall of fire" spell to be displayed in shadowkeeper indicating its' been installed. The trouble now is that the spell seems to be installed, after looking at shadowkeeper, but there is no description added for the wall of fire spell. How do I add the description? All it says is something like "say_desc" and "say_undesc" or something. Would it work if I just added the spell-description to a separate notepad file with the 15190/15191 descriptive numbers next to that description, and just put it in the override folder?

Thank god I decided to check this forum just now. I'm in the early part of a BWP install right now, and hadn't thought to check if there were any hotfixes for the Spell_rev version 3. I'll deal with that right now as otherwise my game is screwed.

Can someone give me a precise set of instructions for how to adapt to vista?
Erhm, what instructions for how to adapt to vista? BG2 mods?

Easy, Do never install to Program Files sub-folder, instead install the game to the Games -sub-folder or somewhere else... then when ever you wish to install a mod, always disable your User Account Control, the path is: Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off -> Uncheck the box next to 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer', and push OK, and then restarting the computer, in annoyance...

You then can install mods as many as you like, or use the BWS to do it for you, and then you can take the same route and enable the UAC again... if you are so cheesed person that you actually need it, and you'll then need to restart again to enable it.

The trouble now is that the spell seems to be installed, after looking at shadowkeeper, but there is no description added for the wall of fire spell. How do I add the description? All it says is something like "say_desc" and "say_undesc" or something. Would it work if I just added the spell-description to a separate notepad file with the 15190/15191 descriptive numbers next to that description, and just put it in the override folder?

In a word... no. After looking at the component, I'd suggest you modify the SpellPack .tp2 and install the spell that way, because it does more than just set the spell's name and description.

Looking at the component, most of the actions are clearly labelled as far as which spell they deal with:

COPY ~SpellPackB5/SpellsAndEffects/Priest/Level05/Spell_InsectPlague~		  ~override~
COPY ~SpellPackB5/SpellsAndEffects/Priest/Level05/Spell_Ironskin~			~override~
COPY ~SpellPackB5/SpellsAndEffects/Priest/Level05/Spell_SmashingWave~		  ~override~
COPY ~SpellPackB5/SpellsAndEffects/Priest/Level05/Spell_WallOfFire~		  ~override~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR506.spl~ ~override~  SAY NAME1 @15060  SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @15061  // Ironskin
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR512.spl~ ~override~  SAY NAME1 @15120  SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @15121  // Smashing Wave
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517.spl~ ~override~  SAY NAME1 @15170  SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @15171  // Insect Plague
 COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517.cre~ ~override~
	~SPPR517Z.cre~ ~override~  SAY NAME1 @15170  SAY NAME2 @15170 // Insect Plague [Creature]
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519.spl~ ~override~  SAY NAME1 @15190  SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @15191  // Wall of Fire

//\\ Readjustments for spells //\\

// Ironskin
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR506.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR506A.spl~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x20 16384	// Usable only by druids&rangers
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR506A.spl~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x27 7	// Sectype is Combat Protections

// Smashing Wave
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR512.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512A.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512B.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512C.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512V.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512W.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512X.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512Y.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512Z.spl~ ~override~
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR512V.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR512W.spl~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x27 10	// Sectype is Offensive Damage

// Insect Plague
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517A.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517B.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517C.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517D.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517E.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517F.spl~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x20 0	// Usable only by all priests
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517A.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517B.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517C.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR517D.spl~ ~override~
 WRITE_SHORT 0x27 11	// Sectype is Disabling

// Wall of Fire
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519A.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519B.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519C.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519D.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519E.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519F.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519G.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519H.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519I.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519Z.spl~ ~override~
 LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~fire_destroys_webs_spl~
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519D.spl~ ~override~

But there are some that aren't as clear:

COMPILE ~SpellPackB5/SpellsAndEffects/Priest/Level05/Scripts~

// Updating projectiles
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR506.spl~ ~override~
 SPRINT projectile_file ""
 LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~ADD_PROJECTILE_FILENAME_SPL~
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517Y.spl~ ~override~
 SPRINT projectile_file "LC_TRAV5"
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR512B.spl~ ~override~
 SPRINT projectile_file "LC_SWAVE"
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR512X.spl~ ~override~
 SPRINT projectile_file "LC_NRRW1"
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR512Y.spl~ ~override~
 SPRINT projectile_file "LC_NRRW2"

If you look at the earlier commands, you'll see that the Wall of Fire files all have names starting with SPPR519 or WOF, so anything dealing with some other SPPR file probably belongs to a different spell and should be skipped.

Following this logic, the scripts folder only contains a sppr515.baf, so we won't need to include the COMPILE command. Most of the projectile-related code doesn't appear to be for Wall of Fire, but there is one action that deals with multiple spells at once, including SPPR519:

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR517Y.spl~ ~override~

Removing the other spells from the action gives us this modified version:

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519B.spl~ ~override~

So, removing all of the other spells, we are left with this code to install just the Wall of Fire spell:

COPY ~SpellPackB5/SpellsAndEffects/Priest/Level05/Spell_WallOfFire~		  ~override~

COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519.spl~ ~override~  SAY NAME1 @15190  SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @15191  // Wall of Fire

//\\ Readjustments for spells //\\

// Wall of Fire
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519A.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519C.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519D.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519H.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519I.spl~ ~override~
  ~SPPR519Z.spl~ ~override~
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519D.spl~ ~override~

// Updating projectiles
COPY_EXISTING ~SPPR519B.spl~ ~override~

Thanks, that is most interesting. Unfortunately, I've already installed the BWP megamod as of yesterday and biffed it etc. so I dare not uninstall and re-install the spellpack mod. I'm hoping that the files I've added into the override folder plus 1 or 2 you mentioned which I may have missed will work out. It seemed a simpler spell to artificially add in, given no extra projectile files etc.

Re Vista:- In the BWP installation guide readme, there is a paragraph re vista:-

"SPECIAL CASE WINDOWS VISTA

1 Open the Start menu and write into the seach field "cmd.exe"

2. Right-click on "cmd.exe" and select in the context menu "Administrator"

3. A command line window opens.

4. Write into the line C:\Windows\system32> behind the arrow the directory where you had installed

the megamod: cd "\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA" and press Enter.

5. Then write into the line C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA> behind the error "BiG

World Install v6.bat" (the version number could have also changed) and press Enter.

Now the installation starts normally as also under other Windows operating systems.

Please look at the introduction video: http://kerzenburg.nightisforum.de/files/BGT-Vista-en.htm

"

I can load the game fine despite having vista and placing my 2 BG folders in program files and program files( x86), respectively. I was just concerned that if I didn't do the above instructions that my game might be slower than usual, or something. And when I tried duplicating the above, it wasn't recognised by the pc as a meaningful command.

Re Vista:- In the BWP installation guide readme, there is a paragraph re vista:-

"SPECIAL CASE WINDOWS VISTA

4. Write into the line C:\Windows\system32> behind the arrow the directory where you had installed

the megamod: cd "\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA" and press Enter..."

I can load the game fine despite having vista and placing my 2 BG folders in program files and program files( x86), respectively. I was just concerned that if I didn't do the above instructions that my game might be slower than usual, or something. And when I tried duplicating the above, it wasn't recognised by the pc as a meaningful command.

That's because you have to replace the 4th points code:
cd "\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA"

With the current game folder that would be:

cd "\Program Files (x84)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA"

And that will take you to the folder... but that's totally unnecessary as you can start the 'BiG World Install.bat' in the windows too without dos commands at all, which is why I do not understand why that whole thing is in the BWP.pdf at all... but next time DO NOT INSTALL INTO THE GAME to the Program Files sub-folder... hint hint hint, and you can avoid most of that.

Well, it worked fine when I installed BG1 into the program files folder and BG2 into the program files( x86) folder. However, when I tried to install BG1 into the main program files( x86) folder as well, and inserted the correct code into the BWP install-pack, BG1 failed to be transferred as usual into the BWP installation, no doubt for the reasons you cited.

Anyway, after checking in the game, the wall of fire spell worked fine once I transferred the relevant files to the override folder. I suppose it's not including those 1 or 2 commands relating to other (spellpack?) spells being cast at the same time, and it doesn't include that fire_destroys_webs thing, but that's all. Anyway, it's a cool spell and very useful, even if it lacks a description.

1 last thing:- I would really, really appreciate it if versions 1 and 2 of the spell_revisions mod were permanently kept available for download - and indeed version 3 when version 4 comes out, and so on. I realise that this is an ongoing mod with constant changes being made. But, quite honestly, I disagree with some of those changes sometimes, and have kept version 2 of spell_rev on file, so that I can use 3 of the spells from that version, instead. Since this is the only spell-altering mod that fortunately allows one to pick and choose exactly which spells one wants, I would deeply appreciate it if you could include all earlier versions for download, so that we can have an even greater variety to choose from. Thanks.

1 last thing:- I would really, really appreciate it if versions 1 and 2 of the spell_revisions mod were permanently kept available for download - and indeed version 3 when version 4 comes out, and so on. I realise that this is an ongoing mod with constant changes being made.
Erhm, well, the Spell_rev is a project kind of mod, so the v2 can actually be considered as the v1.000002, and then if you wish to have the v1, v2, v3 and the v4 available, you would need to have the corrections that are in the later versions of the mod... so you might as well forget about vx and go always with the latest... as you'll have combinational incompatibilities within the spells if you choose this or that approach.
Erhm, well, the Spell_rev is a project kind of mod, so the v2 can actually be considered as the v1.000002, and then if you wish to have the v1, v2, v3 and the v4 available, you would need to have the corrections that are in the later versions of the mod... so you might as well forget about vx and go always with the latest... as you'll have combinational incompatibilities within the spells if you choose this or that approach.
Well, the 3 spells that I took from the version 2 and put in version 3 had only up to 3 file-items that needed to be replaced, and then everything was fine as the spell-description/numbers were, of course, the same in both cases. I agree that more ancient versions would be too dissimiliar, but version 2 and 3 are very similiar indeed. Ah well, I guess I'd better just be very careful not to delete the spell revisions version 2 that I have on my pc.

Archived