NearInfinity sees Unknown Game?

ericp07

Hello,

After restoring critical files and reinstalling BG2 Fixpack, NearInfinity no longer recognizes my SoA/ToB game properly. Please remind me how to fix this.

Thanks,

Eric

Either put the "NearInfinity beta 20.jar" or whatever into the game folder and start it there... or start the NI and go: Game -> Open Game... -> and find the "CHITIN.KEY" -file.
After restoring critical files and reinstalling BG2 Fixpack, NearInfinity no longer recognizes my SoA/ToB game properly. Please remind me how to fix this.
If you're using one of the 1.33 builds, we look for the existence of the MacPlay logo movie, so it should work unless your keyfile is screwed up. (If you know the logo movie won't be in your key for whatever reason, you can still create the files as below to force the game type.)

If you're using the last official build or earlier, game type is determined by the Windows executables only, so you need to have "baldur.exe" and "BGConfig.exe" files in the game folder to trick it. But you should probably be mostly using the later builds anyway.

If you're using one of the 1.33 builds, we look for the existence of the MacPlay logo movie, so it should work unless your keyfile is screwed up. (If you know the logo movie won't be in your key for whatever reason, you can still create the files as below to force the game type.)

If you're using the last official build or earlier, game type is determined by the Windows executables only, so you need to have "baldur.exe" and "BGConfig.exe" files in the game folder to trick it. But you should probably be mostly using the later builds anyway.

Solved! I didn't have a dummy file named BGConfig.exe, but I had the other one, so I duped baldur.exe, renamed it to BGConfig.exe, and now NI recognizes the game as it should.

I don't know if there's a more recent build than the one I have, but Get Info reveals the date modified to be sometime in 2008...

Thanks,

Eric

Archived