Help, I cant beat Shade Lich

Guest Arcc

So.. Im playing solo game as a human dual class Conjurer/Cleric. Im now lvl 19 Conjurer, going to dual Cleric at lvl 21. I just finished "Unseeing Eye" quest and im now trying to beat the Shade Lich in the same dungeon. But I dont understand how because every spell I cast on him doesnt effect him. Even I cast all the remove magic protection spells I have, like secret word, pierce magic, spell thrust, lower resist, ruby ray. I first try to cast those and after I do comet and skull traps and pretty much any offensive spells I have. None of them does any dmg and it doesnt say if he's immune or what.

I dont understand what else I can do anymore? Thanks for any help.

- Arcc

I've taken a quick look at his cre and he doesn't seem to have some sort of invulnerability-glitch (there was a similar issue back then with Glabrezus).

What I can tell you is that many of the spells you've mentioned (Skull Trap, Spell Thrust, Secret Word, Lower Resistance) are completely useless against all liches, because they are immune to 5th lvl spells or lower. Furthermore he probably cast Spell Trap, which means your first Ruby Ray of Reversal (or Pierce Shield/Spellstrike) removes it, and then you have to cast another one in case he has other spell protections (though he doesn't seem to have any Spell Deflection/Turning memorized).

Have you installed the component to make Breach work on them? If yes, remember to use it because he probably has Protection from Energy to make him immune to almost all forms of magic damage.

On the other hand, I really don't know how can he possibly be immune to Comet, as it's an HLA which bypass both magic resistance and spell protections. ???

I've taken a quick look at his cre and he doesn't seem to have some sort of invulnerability-glitch (there was a similar issue back then with Glabrezus).

What I can tell you is that many of the spells you've mentioned (Skull Trap, Spell Thrust, Secret Word, Lower Resistance) are completely useless against all liches, because they are immune to 5th lvl spells or lower. Furthermore he probably cast Spell Trap, which means your first Ruby Ray of Reversal (or Pierce Shield/Spellstrike) removes it, and then you have to cast another one in case he has other spell protections (though he doesn't seem to have any Spell Deflection/Turning memorized).

Have you installed the component to make Breach work on them? If yes, remember to use it because he probably has Protection from Energy to make him immune to almost all forms of magic damage.

On the other hand, I really don't know how can he possibly be immune to Comet, as it's an HLA which bypass both magic resistance and spell protections. ???

Uh, WTF :-( ......... how to fix this shit then ? I dont want to cheat..

He might've cast Protection From Fire (or higher level variant) to make himself immune to Comet damage - some mages pair PFME with another elemental resistance.

Secret Word and friends work on Liches, but don't dispel higher level buffs (E.G. Spell Trap).

Since you don't have a way to dispel his Improved Invisibility, a passable strategy is to protect yourself against his spells (SI: Necro, some sort of Spell Trap/Deflection/Turning, Pro Magical Energy, recast protections if dispelled), use summons to absorb some more spells, and then wait for him to run out of Mantles, PFMWs and whatnot; when he loses those protections, you can kill him with Melf's Meteors or similar.

Hmm ok.. Thanks a lot for helpful tips.

I just dualed to cleric yesterday when I hit lvl 21 Conjurer. I've never dualed before so I was surprised that I lose all my mage abilities until I get lvl 21 or 22 (which one is it ??) in cleric. So im struggling to find easy quests to get good exp as lvl 12 cleric now. I've already done most of the quests that can be done before moving to Asulym. Im now in Planar Sphere and its quite hard as lvl 12 cleric X_X ... any tips ? ^_^

You'll need to wait for Cleric 22 to get your Wizardly abilities back (that's roughly 3M experience points, whereas getting to 21' as Conjurer was 4M XP).

Clerics are strong on defense (summons, buffs, heals, disabling spells) but don't have great damaging capabilities: the only notable damage spell is Holy Smite, which mages are buffed against, and unlike mages you'll never attack more than once per turn. As such your strategy should revolve around protecting yourself against offensive spells (Pro: Fire, Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Chaotic Commands), disabling enemies (Silence, Hold Person, Greater Command) and then attacking with an army of summons. The Rod of Resurrection provides unlimited, instantaneous healing (for when you're hit with an unavoidable ADHW).

If you want to use less honorable tactics, try having your summons absorb the big spells and deal some damage while you wait out as much as possible under Sanctuary.

Hmm ok.. I noticed that the spell Aerial Servant is quite nice.. they hit like 20-40 dmg each. I can summon now 2 of them to deal dmg while I tank. Worked so far. After Sphere im now lvl 13 and soon 14. (exp. 1327161/1350000)

So to be more specific as for what quests I've done.

Waukeen Promenade:

- Circus

- Mercaneries in Den of the Seven Vales

Slums District:

- Slavers

- Planar Sphere

Temple District:

- Unseen Eye

- Sculpture quest for temple

- Cleared the "Private House" with Celestial Fury inside

Government District:

- Nothing ? Not quests to be done in here really, just took quests to be done elsewhere like Umar Hills and Planar Sphere

Docks:

- Both Shadow Thieves quests. The main story and the side quest where you can get your own thieves guild if you're a thief

- Harper Quest where I bring the body there and get the bird from inside

Graveyard:

- Cleared all the tombs and fetched the teddy bear for the little ghost

Bridge:

- Solved the main murder mystery

- Killed the guy with red clothing and his friends

- Killed the mercaneries in one of the inns there

- Killed some of the guards in one of the estates (and 1 peasent -4 rep, im evul!!)

I've also completed:

- de'Arnise Hold

- Umar Hills (the temple ruins main quest and killed the golem in wizards house)

- Temple Ruins (killed shadow dragon etc)

- Trademeet (killed djinnis, druids and got the relic from the tomb and talked to the boy in one of the houses)

- Druid Grove (cleared all)

- Windspear Hills (cleared all except Firkraag, at this point I was cleric at around lvl 10 so it was impossible, before at Shadow Dragon I was still mage at around lvl 19)

So.. im now standing at lvl 21 Conjurer and 13 Cleric. Still quite long way until I can hit Cleric lvl 22. There must be some quests I've missed so please tell me. I think I want to complete as many quests as possible before I head to Spellhold.

Thanks for any help ^^

Sorry for double post but I forgot to mention that I dont know how to start the Cleric Stronghold quest. Tried to google it but couldnt find anything useful. When I try to talk with any of the Temples in Temple District they just tell me that my aid is not needed at the moment. Do I have to rescue Imoen before I can get that quest or what's wrong?

The Cleric Stronghold is unlocked after clearing out the Unseeing Eye - which means that you're locked out of it, since you did it as a wizard (similarly, you're locked out of the Wizard Stronghold).

There's a quest you can start by casting Lesser Wish, but you're locked out of it since you killed the mercenaries in Delosar's inn in the Bridge.

Easy quests you've not listed:

There's another two quests in the Temple District: one starts by talking to the guy who sent you to the Sculptor, the other in the Radiant Heart if your reputation is at least 11.

In the Graveyard, there's a Paladin whose son recently died, you can recommend him to an orphan for some easy XP.

Harder-but-doable quests:

In the Bridge district, you could do the Planar Prison (start it by going downstairs in the Five Flagons and watching the play).

You can do the first level of Watcher's Keep.

Stand-alone fights:

Windspear: Since you're level 13, you can try to kill Firkraag (Finger of Death him and reload until it works).

Bridge: you can try to kill the Elemental Lich (Bridge, near the Red Cloak dude) and another unnamed Lich (Tavern in the Gate district). Either abuse the run out of door cheese, or try to get a lucky hit with False Dawn and/or Mace of Disruption.

Temple: in the Sewers there's a couple of fights; also, one of the keys you get in Windspear leads to a Mind Flayer lair.

Casting Lesser Wish and asking for experience creates a fight with some Golems (there's a potion-swap cheese to cast spells off scrolls). Similarly, if you have low Wis and cast LW you can ask "I wish to be protected from Vampires now" to summon four hostile Vampires (the latter is a repeatable wish).

There's also Kangaxx and the Staff of Magi fights, but I doubt you can do them at this stage.

Thanks.. I'll go try Firkraag with using Finger of Death. I got lvl up and lvl 7 cleric spells available now. Also I guess I'll try killing those damn liches even though before they seemed like impossible.

Is there any way to increase my character attacks? I only got 1 attack per round. I know I could use potion of speed for haste effect and 2 attacks. But I got boots of speed and I dont want to always depend on potions ???

I don't think that Clerics have any reliable way to increase attacks per round, which makes them useless at offense. There are some items that cast (Improved) Haste on self, but I can only think of Potions of Speed, a pair of bracers you get in the Underdark, and a short sword you can't wield.

When I cast Sunray against the shade lich and the lich in the city gates zone, I get a message saying something like

Anomen: xxx was immune to my damage.

Is this a bug or is this correct behaviour?

I'm on my mac with BG2:EE and scs v28. Btw breach does not work either. I've used several anti spell protections attacks and I see messages like

spell shield dispelled

spell protections removed

magic resistance lowered by 26% (from casting pierce shield)

But no matter how many times I use rubies etc and breach, never can my fighters hit the lich. I had to use death fog on the lich at the city gates and to batter the shade lich before he got his protections up (cheating I know ).

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v14

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells: v14

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring, Spell-Trap, and Physical Mirror Animations: v14

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3160 // Keep Drizzt's Loot, Disable Malchor Harpell: v14

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3170 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark: v14

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2041 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy and player Harm spells both do 150 hp of damage: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Allow individual versions of Spell Immunity to be placed into Contingencies and Spell Triggers: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Make Power-Word: Blind single-target: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2111 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at their level (not twice their level): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Add an extra copy of some hard-to-find spell scrolls: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // True Sight/True Seeing spells protect from magical blindness: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Change Carsomyr so that its Dispel on contact power grants a saving throw: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4180 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4240 // Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells (each may be taken only once): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6020 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to spellcasters -> Only selected spellcasters in Throne of Bhaal get HLAs: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6044 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat on difficulty settings of Hard or higher: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6500 // Improved golems: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8000 // Make the starting dungeon slightly harder: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8030 // More resilient trolls: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8060 // Improved de'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix") -> Spirit trolls have the same powers as in the original game: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8100 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8110 // Improved Sahuagin: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8150 // Slightly Improved Watcher's Keep: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8160 // Improved Fire Giant temple: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8170 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave: v28

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8180 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: v28

lich immune to sunray? he probably just get lucky with save vs. spells. not a bug imo.

the rest looks like the infamous spellshield bug. after pierce shield and a couple of ruby rays lich should be vulnerable to breach, practically butt naked. maybe he just refreshed he's protections via triggers and contingencies??

Spell Shield has been long fixed. It's about Breach not affecting liches correctly, one has to edit out dw#licim.spl not to include level 5 spell immunity.

If lich was protected from Magical Energy, he won't take damage from Sunray. He probably also made the save vs instakill.

Archived