Compatibility with Ascension (BPv180)

Hi,

with the release of BPv180, which split the mod into many more components, it seems the filechecks SCS is performing to determine whether or not Ascension is installed are not working as they should.

I ran a BWS install with only BP Ascension selected from the BP mod. That means that the following new BP components were not present in my install :

[improved Abazigal]

[improved Demogorgon]

[improved Gromnir]

[improved Illasera]

[improved Yaga-Shura]

When installing SCSII, Smarter Illasera & Yaga-Shura refused to install :

SKIPPING: [smarter Illasera]

The non-Ascension version of Illasera is already improved by the "Smarter Mages" component of SCSII

SKIPPING: [smarter Yaga-Shura]

The non-Ascension version of Yaga-Shura is already improved by the "Smarter General AI" component of SCSII

According to dabus over at SHS, SCSII tests for the following files in order to install these components :

REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~illas01.itm~ @3309

REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~yagaft.bcs~ @3310

The first file

gets installed if component Improved Illasera is installed. Seconds bcs does not exist in the BP-folder and I could not find it in the tp2 either.

Strangely Smarter Abazigal and Smarter Gromnir installed even though their BP counterparts were not... :)

Since David seems to have been missing for a while, is there anyone here knowledgeable enough to shed some light on this ?

REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~illas01.itm~ @3309

REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~yagaft.bcs~ @3310

The first file

gets installed if component Improved Illasera is installed. Seconds bcs does not exist in the BP-folder and I could not find it in the tp2 either.
That is a question I guess for horred why he removed yagaft.bcs in BP v180. SCS2 could of course use some other predicate, like yaga01.spl. The other one for illas01.itm should still work if Improved Illasera is installed, as dabus said.
maybe dabus missed the file somehow ?
I checked it too, and it was in BP v179 but not BP v180. Maybe some other mod in your list installed it - you could do a change-log on the file to find out.

Ok... something's off, it seems I am missing a folder here, every change-log command returns :

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error("weidu/bwp_backup/0/MAPPINGS.0: No such file or directory")

I do not, in fact, have a bwp_backup folder anywhere. On another hand, it's the first time I did changelogs, so maybe I am missing something obvious...

I did find yagaft.bcs in 2 folders :

scsII\backup\6220 (that's the improved Yaga component itself)

generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\25 (also to be expected from the biffing)

EDIT : right, so I created an empty MAPPINGS file where weidu was looking, and got the following :

Mods affecting YAGAFT.BCS:

00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-BPV180.TP2~ 0 20 // Improved Yaga-Shura: v180a BWP Fix

00001: ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ 0 6220 // Smarter Yaga-Shura: v13 BWP Fix

so it would seem BP did in fact install this file ? :)

so it would seem BP did in fact install this file ?
Oh. Yeah... was looking in the wrong place. It gets compiled from BPv180/ascend/tough/yaga/baf/new (can we bury it in maybe some more folders? :)).

I'm not sure what bwp_backup is, but clearly it hoses your ability to do change-logs if you didn't mess with it. Might want to report that on SHS.

It gets compiled from BPv180/ascend/tough/yaga/baf/new (can we bury it in maybe some more folders? :)).

Ok, so that renders the SCSII somewhat inaccurate...

The tougher bosses were originally also made by David Gaider, but they were distinct components from Ascension...

The SCSII readme for "Smarter..." talks about updating the "Ascension version of...". But this is not really the case. If Ascension is installed but not the "Tougher...", then Illasera & Yaga are not detected and the SCSII "Smarter..." component does not install. So those two are actually tied to the presence of their respective "Tougher..." version, not Ascension. On the other hand, Smarter Abazigal and Gromnir can be installed no matter whether their tougher version is installed or not, and are (maybe ?) depending on Ascension to install. :)

I'm not sure what bwp_backup is, but clearly it hoses your ability to do change-logs if you didn't mess with it. Might want to report that on SHS.

Done. It may be related to the beta version of BWP which I'm using.

There's a general ambiguity here, since the "ascension" mod also contains an "ascension" component. To make matters worse, the ascension component of the ascension mod upgrades one version of (e.g.) Yaga-Shura, and another component of that mod upgrades another version of Yaga-Shura.

I can probably make the readme less ambiguous.

As for the broader issue: I've got relatively little patience or interest in editing SCSII to allow for some changed version of Ascension. Ascension, more than basically any other mod, really has to preserve backward compatibility!

Archived