Version 14 released

DavidW

DavidW,

the readme still includes "Improved Golem" from Tactics under the "Components with no overlap with SCS II:" voice. I suspect that since version 13 this is no longer true instead?

I don't actually know. As far as I recall I don't muck with scripts. I'd have to check (but I'm away from home atm so can't for a week or two)

David, your macros that patch REGEXP GLOB are missing a SOURCE_SIZE check. I tracked two of them down:

SCSII/Spell/spell.tph, ACTION_MACRO ~mirror_image_AoE~

scsII.tph, ACTION_MACRO ~make_short_spells~

I was lazy about installing the official patch and the G3 fixpack, and the installer bailed out on IPLOT01K.itm, because it was reading out of bounds. Adding SOURCE_SIZE checks fixed this.

There is another bug which caused Smarter Mages option 2 to fail at install if any mod adds new effects to SPWI921.spl's casting feature block. This includes the components Chant, Mental Domination, and Hypnotic Pattern of SpellPack which patch all spells in the game so they break the caster's concentration of these 3 spells.

The bug is located in scsII\mage\mage.tph ACTION_MACRO ~mage_alacrity~

The macro starts searches for effects starting with the feature blocks and progressing to the effects in the first extended header, while using the number of effects in the extended header for counting how many times it loops. This means that if there are any effects in the feature block, those effects will be counted while leaving out an equal number of effects in the first extended header. Since opcode 188 is the last effect in the first extended header in SPWI921.spl, it will certainly leave it out, the variables will not get set, and when it tries to use those variables to clone the effect, the installer will bail out.

Also, the macro is not flexible enough to account for additional extended headers in case there is a mod that adds any. Furthermore, it does not increment the effect offsets of the abilities that follow the ability the effect was added to, and bails out if it doesn't find an opcode to clone.

I haven't fixed this bug, and I suspect the installer will bail out at ACTION_MACROs ~mage_pro_elements~, ~mage_make_timestop~, ~mage_smart_clones~ for the same reasons.

Nothing short of completely rewriting these macros/or using Gort's macros will solve this.

-Galactygon

OK, thanks.

(I don't really support non-Fixpacked installs, let alone non-official-patched installs, but I'll add a SOURCE_SIZE sometime if I get a chance.)

In general, many parts of SCSII make a tradeoff between maximal compatibility with all theoretically-possible changes, and realistic time to implement the mod in the first places. In plenty of places I make intelligent guesses about what features of a spell (or whatever) can reasonably be expected to be changed by other conceptually-compatible mods; sometimes those guesses don't work for some given mod. (That's especially relevant since, post-SCSII's release, there's been an uptick in the release of mods that do lots of modifications to the spell files. I think for my original SCSII release I did an install check with DR, but I don't systematically check with new mods these days. Blame laziness and RL. I am amenable to sorting out compatibility problems like this as and when they come up, time permitting.

DavidW,

the readme still includes "Improved Golem" from Tactics under the "Components with no overlap with SCS II:" voice. I suspect that since version 13 this is no longer true instead?

I don't actually know. As far as I recall I don't muck with scripts. I'd have to check (but I'm away from home atm so can't for a week or two)

Not compatible, SCS overwrites both Tactics' scripts. That said, there's 'golem.ssl' in 'misc' folder, containing ranged attacks and chasing, but I can't see it being compiled anywhere.

Archived