Shar-Teel

Guest FatPope

Guest FatPope

I made the (presumably silly) mistake of modding BG tutu without knowing anything about what I was doing. Anyway, I was using a number of mods, but for this occurance shall we say mainly the BG1 NPC project. I decided I wanted to see what the BG1 romances were like, but after murdering Dynaheir and taking Viconia over Branwen, Shar-Teel seemed the only option. Unfortunately I had decided charisma was to be my dump stat so I had 3 char (4 after the tome), which, of course was too low to commence any sort of engagement with this insane lady.

So...I found the overide folder, and with reckless adandon modified it utterly (well minorly) to allow me to proceed in my nefarious endeavour. The "_SHARTJ.DLG" file seemed to hold what I desired so I gaily set about setting all charisma (CHR) values to 2 instead of their real versions.

All seemed to go well, until the next talk with Shar-Teel. Now she seems set upon smearing mud on my face over and over and over and over....etc, regardless of what I do. I'm all for sexy mud smearing but this seems a little bit much! I tried moving to a different location but it still continues. Unfortunately I'm forced to admit that I know nothing about what I'm doing. Modding usually involves editing a few choice files (with my trusty notepad++) and that's that, but in this case I've had disasterous results.

Please do tell, what should I be doing???

Please do tell, what should I be doing???
Reinstalling, methinks, from the looks of it. Or possibly restoring a backup of the file(s) you messed with, but it sounds like you probably didn't do that.

If this was a defect in the mod, it should be corrected there, but it's very hard to surmise that based on what you did.

My offhand guess is that you have run afoul of a trigger mismatch - the .bcs and the .dlg work together, and if the values don't match, you get an infinite loop. I agree with Miloch - a full reinstall (unless, of course, you backed up your game and save before experimenting...).

Guest FatPope

Well I did make backups and I assume restoring them will bring everything back the way it was. The issue is not how to return to the original setup but rather how to actually achieve my intended result of changing the required charisma value.

You mentioned a bcs file. I had a look through the "_SHARTD.bcs" file but it doesn't seem to be terribly meaningful to me. Is there, perchance, a handy editing tool used for such changes, or how does one go about modding this area of the game?

Archived