Some thoughts.

novisionary

Hello all.

When playing IE games I always regret having to leave all these wonderful NPC's behind.

Is it possible that gemrb will allow for more than 6 characters in a party?

I have not tried gemrb out yet, so I don't know much about it.

Is the engine complete, that is can games be played from start to end?

Is it likely to be completed in the foreseeable future?

I am currently learning some basic programming, so I can't be much help right now, but I would really like to help out a bit. Is this project looking for donations? I might have some extra money around christmas, if not then probably next summer, if it helps things get done I'll try to do something.

Hello all.

When playing IE games I always regret having to leave all these wonderful NPC's behind.

So do i...

Is it possible that gemrb will allow for more than 6 characters in a party?

Short answer is: no.

It is possible to write some mod. Check out this forum, there should be 'long answer' somewhere.

Is the engine complete, that is can games be played from start to end?

Is it likely to be completed in the foreseeable future?

No, it is not completed and, as far as i know, there is lot work to be done. But it is playable. It is very alive project. Find my topic 'what does not work...'. I reported there lot of bugs and they were repaired already.

I am currently learning some basic programming, so I can't be much help right now, but I would really like to help out a bit. Is this project looking for donations? I might have some extra money around christmas, if not then probably next summer, if it helps things get done I'll try to do something.

For sure: you can play it and look for bugs. It is helpful.

Regards.

bg1, bg2 and iwd were completable the last time anyone tried them. bg1:totsc remains untested, iwd:how has some remaining issues, iwd:totl was not tested much yet, bg2:tob also has some severe issues, while pst and iwd2 are far from completable.

Any help would be appreciated, but the project doesn't really need money. There could be a drive to buy some wierd gizmo for one of the developers to create/speed up the port of gemrb, but we have plenty of other issues to solve (shared on all platforms), so this doesn't sound so sensible. Our bottleneck is people power. :cringe:

It should be possible for me (or other people willing to learn OCaml) to create a mod that extends "most" scripts to Player7 and higher. However, I don't see myself doing so in the short term (as much as GemRB's efforts are laudable, I'm too lazy to work on a platform that isn't yet accessible to the layman).

no ocaml needed, just decompile, hack (I bet it can be done with some clever regexing) and recompile. I'll definitely try this sometime in the future, if nobody beats me to it. There are more important things in line though.

no ocaml needed, just decompile, hack (I bet it can be done with some clever regexing) and recompile.

Coding such an extender externally to WeiDU will make it hard to manage your tool in a mod installation, and coding it in TP2 is asking for headaches. Coding a TP2 BAF_EXTEND_PLAYERX (value) command is probably the less painful solution (plus, OCaml has an immensely powerful switch..case construct, which is solid Australium when doing this type of work).

Chu patching shouldn't be outrageously hard to do even in TP2 (see: Widescreen).

It is good you already considered what (and how) to be done to achieve this, anyway.

I just don't know what did you mean by gemrb is not available to the layman?

It is compatible with weidu or other IE modding tools in all sense and intent.

If anything to be said, gemrb is not available to the player of every IE versions.

But i think, IE modders (whom i thought layman should mean) already could do anything and more they were able to do with the original IE.

I understand. As of current plans, we'll care with ToB (the missing part of BGT) after HoW is finishable.

The plan is to finish HoW this year. The ToB part shouldn't be too difficult as we don't start from scratch.

I expect this to happen before March next year. Depending on how many of us will test/fix bugs. No new major features need to be added, just bugfixing.

This sounds good!

I have got this to work with a few problems I hope to work out.

If I intend to try to help out, I guess I will only be useful as a beta-tester, what is it that needs to be tested specifically, it seems ToTSC is being worked on now, should I start out with that?

Archived