Root of the Problem properties

Guest Hurricane

Guest Hurricane

1) The enchanted club "Root of the Problem" (blun10) cannot be sold because it has a price of 0 as if it was a normal club, although in BG1, this item used to have a price value of 2750. Other enchanted clubs also have proper prices and can be sold.

2) Also, the Root of the Problem in BG2 is lacking its lore value, even though nothing indicates that the item is supposed to be identified by default (the player receives it as a support for a quest but it's name/characteristics are not mentioned, it's not an item forged by Cromwell etc.). The Root's original lore value in BG1 was 55.

These two properties of the club seem to have gotten lost when the devs transferred the item from BG1 to BG2. I'd recommend restoring the values to what they used to be in BG1. Any other views on this?

Guest Hurricane
The price, at least, is addressed by 'Sellable Items' in BG2 Tweaks.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that option. Although looking at the Tweak itself now, I must say that I'm reluctant to use this as a solution. Some of the other changes also made by the Sellable Items Tweak really seem like cheats, whereas the change to the Root feels more like a necessary fix that doesn't belong into the same category. Maybe the price correction for the Root should be transferred to the Fixpack? What do you guys think?

On the other issue, I'm in favor of restoring the lore value. Most of the items received from NPCs don't come identified, else it must be justified. When the spirit in the Druid Grove hands the weapon to the player, it only says that it is a club that used to belong to Marek, the founder of the Grove. I think this is a fairly generic description and doesn't differ from what usually happens when the party reveices unidentified items. When comparing this to the opposite case, such as the identified Helm of Glory obtained as a reward in the Temple District, I think there is a considerable difference. Telwyn clearly states the full, correct name of the helmet and points out its practical usefulness. Also, the Root of the Problem is *not* a quest reward, but is given to the party at the introduction of a quest. Just my opinion, standing by for support and opposition.

Guest Hurricane

Huh, true, the figurine also comes identified. And this time the item even appears in the player's pocket without the spirit mentioning it at all. Very strange. Well I guess this obstructs any real effort to achieve overall consistency in this situation.

Archived