Some questions about the game.

Franpa

(Baldur's Gate II)

What happens when you wear multiple items that provide an "Armor Class"? Are they stackable somehow? For instance I have a piece of armor that provides Armor Class: 1 and Bracers of Defense that provide Armor Class: 8, how do they stack/combine, does the best piece of equipment take priority? If yes, what purpose do Bracers serve?

Why does "Armor Class Bonus" list a positive buff while "Armor Class" lists a low/negative buff?

Why do "Armor Class Bonus" items provide you with a lower Armor Class if they provide you with a POSITIVE buff? From my logical understanding, adding positive numbers to a negative/low number should move the players Armor Class out of/away from negatives which is a bad thing.

Why does the rule set assume a low class is better then a high class? What real life classes revolve around going backwards in level to improve your skills?

How do you determine the amount of damage a Bow & Arrow/sling etc. style attack will deliver?

What do you do with quest items after having finished the related quest? Just drop them on the floor?

Why do storekeepers not buy Bolts? that's kinda picky.

Isn't the Core Fixes in the Fix Pack meant to fix typos and stuff? There's still quite a few I've encountered in my dialog choices (Red text during conversations).

What happens when you wear multiple items that provide an "Armor Class"? Are they stackable somehow? For instance I have a piece of armor that provides Armor Class: 1 and Bracers of Defense that provide Armor Class: 8, how do they stack/combine, does the best piece of equipment take priority? If yes, what purpose do Bracers serve?
The best Armor Class takes priority. In your example, you'd end up with AC 1 from the armor, and the Bracers of Defense AC 8 would be wasted on your character. Bracers of Defence are mainly designed to improve mage defences.

Why does "Armor Class Bonus" list a positive buff while "Armor Class" lists a low/negative buff?

Why do "Armor Class Bonus" items provide you with a lower Armor Class if they provide you with a POSITIVE buff? From my logical understanding, adding positive numbers to a negative/low number should move the players Armor Class out of/away from negatives which is a bad thing.

Why does the rule set assume a low class is better then a high class? What real life classes revolve around going backwards in level to improve your skills?

Armor Class is a measure of how hard it is for someone to hit (and injure) your character. THAC0 is a measure of how hard it is for you to hit (and injure) another character. Don't ask why the makers of AD&D decided that a lower value in one of these stats would represent an improvement.

Every character has a default Armor Class of 10. By wearing armor or using certain magics, you can improve your base armor class, giving you an AC less than 10. You can only benefit from one item that improves your base AC at a time. Fighter/mages can't cast the spell Armor and then equip some studded leather for an extra little boost.

However, dexterity, shields, enchantments, and spells can alter your AC as well, and these changes stack with armor and similar enhancements.

For adjustments, just remember, "bonus" = good, "penalty" = bad, "+X" = good, and "-X" = bad... for the most part.

With saving throws, a +X bonus is good for the person rolling the saving throw, and a -X penalty is bad for that person.

How do you determine the amount of damage a Bow & Arrow/sling etc. style attack will deliver?
Damage from projectile + damage bonus from launcher (if applicable).

Isn't the Core Fixes in the Fix Pack meant to fix typos and stuff? There's still quite a few I've encountered in my dialog choices (Red text during conversations).
Typos should get fixed in the Game Text Update component. If you've discovered any, you can post them over in the GTU Light thread and they should be added to a future version of the Fixpack if everyone agrees they are in error. When I notice typos in-game, I find the easiest thing to do is just take a screenshot. I can continue playing and when I have some free time later I can look over the screenshots.
How do you take a screenshot? From my testing the Print Screen key results in a black image.

Look for a "ScrnShot" folder in your game directory.

Print Screen key doesn't generate them (It does however copy a blank image to the clipboard), I was more or less asking what key to press to have them saved.

How do you take a screenshot? From my testing the Print Screen key results in a black image.

Look for a "ScrnShot" folder in your game directory.

Print Screen key doesn't generate them (It does however copy a blank image to the clipboard), I was more or less asking what key to press to have them saved.

Weird. PrintScreen works just fine for me, and copies the image to the said directory.

How does "Level Drained" status affect the party members current amount of experience as well as future experience earned? Does it negatively impact how fast that character levels up? Do you lose experience from the level drain effect? While it is in effect, does the amount of experience required for the next level, change?

If PrintScreen isn't saving screenshots, this may be a graphics card issue. It could also be a Windows Vista issue, but I'm not sure if you have that. If so, disabling User Account Control may enable saving screenshots.

What do you do with quest items after having finished the related quest? Just drop them on the floor?

That's up to you. You can toss them wherever, or put them in a container, or horde them for sentimental value.

Apparently they realized how counter-intuitive this was, because in 3/3.5th edition, armor class is calculated the other way around - the higher, the better.

Archived