Thoughts of lawful characters in SoA

mjavthegray

PS Yes, it just struck me now - a lawful character shouldn't even attempt to rescue Imoen, because she has broken the law of Cowled Wizards and was taken a prisoner on legal grounds.

Just because lawful characters see an inherent value in laws, order, truth, and the like, that doesn't make them guidelines-following robots incapable of own thought. Not all lawful characters are alike, and they don't HAVE to approve of ALL laws automatically (oh slave trading is legal here? Let my paladin help you gather more, then). Neither does that prevent them from doing things supposedly in clash with their alignment (lying to a golem in order to escape a dungeon and save your life? Yeah, real difficult choice there).

By your rationality, chaotic neutral characters should be doing idiotic things like jumping off a bridge 24/7. Because, you know, they're supposed to be crazy.

On topic, I agree with David. The world doesn't make it easier for your code of ethics in life, and is under no obligation to do so. This, I believe, is part of what the devs tried to show. IIRC Aran himself alludes to the lesser evil option. It's always harder to be a good, law abiding, afable guy than not giving a crap about others and things that don't directly concern oneself. If not, everyone would do it.

Another roleplaying option I like for lawful good characters is going to Spellhold via the shadow thieves and then storm their compound once you're back in Athkatla (Questpack provides this option).

PS Yes, it just struck me now - a lawful character shouldn't even attempt to rescue Imoen, because she has broken the law of Cowled Wizards and was taken a prisoner on legal grounds.

Just because lawful characters see an inherent value in laws, order, truth, and the like, that doesn't make them guidelines-following robots incapable of own thought. Not all lawful characters are alike, and they don't HAVE to approve of ALL laws automatically (oh slave trading is legal here? Let my paladin help you gather more, then). Neither does that prevent them from doing things supposedly in clash with their alignment (lying to a golem in order to escape a dungeon and save your life? Yeah, real difficult choice there).

By your rationality, chaotic neutral characters should be doing idiotic things like jumping off a bridge 24/7. Because, you know, they're supposed to be crazy.

On topic, I agree with David. The world doesn't make it easier for your code of ethics in life, and is under no obligation to do so. This, I believe, is part of what the devs tried to show. IIRC Aran himself alludes to the lesser evil option. It's always harder to be a good, law abiding, afable guy than not giving a crap about others and things that don't directly concern oneself. If not, everyone would do it.

Another roleplaying option I like for lawful good characters is going to Spellhold via the shadow thieves and then storm their compound once you're back in Athkatla (Questpack provides this option).

You know, I just thought I'd throw this out there: traditionally, betrayal is the utmost of evil acts. ;p

The Shadow Thieves may walk a morality line, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're evil or deserve to be backstabbed, but hey, that's just me. ???

You know, I just thought I'd throw this out there: traditionally, betrayal is the utmost of evil acts. ;p

The Shadow Thieves may walk a morality line, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're evil or deserve to be backstabbed, but hey, that's just me. ???

While I agree with you, Keldorn, while visiting the Shadow Thieves once you sided with them, clearly say that he will slay them once we are finished with our quest. Should he fall for the "utmost of evil act" ? :D

While I agree with you, Keldorn, while visiting the Shadow Thieves once you sided with them, clearly say that he will slay them once we are finished with our quest. Should he fall for the "utmost of evil act" ? ???

By that reasoning, he should fall for attacking to kill Viconia or Edwin without due process (other than casting Detect Evil).

By that reasoning, he should fall for attacking to kill Viconia or Edwin without due process (other than casting Detect Evil).

No-no, Edwin attacked him ???

About Vic, yes, I agree.

He just cast it too early before she had a chance to change Alignment. I just wonder why he doesn't have the balls to attack Drizzt. :D

It's not like anything happens in game when a lawful character breaks a law.

The Shadow Thieves may walk a morality line, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're evil

You are wrong. Shadow Thieves are an evil organization and most of its members are neutral evil. Aran Linvwail seems to be neutral, though.

Any Lawful character with a modicum of Wisdom or Intelligence would quickly realize the corrupt nature of Amn's government and would not feel so beholden to it uphold it in it's entirety. While I expect one would try to work for lawful ends and organizations in the choice of allies the situation is limited. If the choice is between the upstart vampires (who are disrupting the order) or the existing thieves guild (who are practically part of the government) the options are not ideal but still provide a clear choice for lawful characters.

Archived