code etiquette

phordicus

some might consider coding an art, but for those that don't, there's usually only one perfectly efficient and optimized way to code a particular task. in my fledgling education as a compatibility-enhanced modder (aka, i won't overwrite your entire game), i am finding it impossible to do anything better or differently than the examples i am learning from. is it okay to just cite where the original code is from?

some might consider coding an art, but for those that don't, there's usually only one perfectly efficient and optimized way to code a particular task. in my fledgling education as a compatibility-enhanced modder (aka, i won't overwrite your entire game), i am finding it impossible to do anything better or differently than the examples i am learning from. is it okay to just cite where the original code is from?

Yep.

It is nice to do so in the comments in-code, and helps others learn because they can research other (and source) implementations. But for just about everyone out there in this hobby, code is freely given/shared. Modders who create characters sometimes (often, almost always, probably) get touchy about intellectual property dealing with in-game lines for NPCs and quests, etc., and often try to license that aspect of the mod, but figuring out how to make the game work and sharing those ideas is pretty much a "take it and fly, my friend" thing.

Though every mod in existence probably should have a paragraph thanking Weimer and The Bigg, linking any and all projects they might be involved in- because without weidu, we have no decent way of building these mods!

Archived