Artist Michael Whelan's artwork not to be used

ericp07

No professional artist will allow you to crop and redistribute his work (without paying for licensing).
So the RtW team paid for the art?

Try checking NWN for content, depending on what you're looking for. Probably not technically "legal" to modify/redistribute that either, but neither is to do so with BG2 content.

I'll check NWN. Thanks! I've searched the 'net countless times over the years, always looking for images that would suit my RPG characters. It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever see a picture that says "Erysseril" to me unless I work with an artist on a custom piece, as I did with Nix.

- E

Too bad that modding communities tend to attract more technical types than artists.

100% agree! My visual artistic skill consists of drawing Snoopy, either an himself or as the WWI Flying Ace on his Sopwith Camel :)

- E

I don't know if you found someone yet, but over at the Deviant Art forums, you can find someone to commission. Or you can browse the artists and ask them if they'd make something for you.

I gave up on the DA community, as a few artists initially expressed interest, then dropped the ball, so to speak. I'm sticking with the portrait Nix made for me. Just thought it would be nice to include alternate portraits, the way so many cool mods do.

I haven't seen the portrait Nix made for you.

If you want to send me a link to the portrait and all the details about the character's physical appearance, I can give it a try. :)

Bless your heart :)Here is the existing portrait (if I linked correctly, it should be the largest size), and the appearance details are posted below (couldn't upload an .rtf file to RapidShare). The portrait was based on this photo, but a new portrait need not be based on it, especially if the description conjures up a completely different mental image!

Thanks so much! I look forward to whatever you might come up with for this :)

Eric

Erysseril's physical details:

She appears as an adult elf

Her hair is strawberry blonde, about halfway down her back, thick, wild and wavy. She usually wears it down and free.

She stands 5'6", and weighs a little over 122 lbs.

Erysseril is physically strong and solidly built for an elf, with broad shoulders, a slightly heavy chest and heavy yet long torso, tapering to narrow hips. She appears physically dense with stoutness, for an Elf (but not stocky, like a Dwarf) with long, thick, muscular legs. She's athletic, yet feminine. She looks very healthy, and used to outdoor life.

Her skin is coppery, with green accents around her ears and chin. She has a clear complexion.

Sharp, angular features define her face.

Predominant feature: eyes (large, sea green, almond-shaped Elven eyes).

She's very healthy and physically fit.

Wow that's a nice portrait!

I'll try my best! :laugh:

I do like a "realistic" look, however that applies to fantasy :hm: As an artist, your own interpretation of the details is always best. This character's usual mood is calm and mildly happy. Someone commented that the skin tones should be adjusted to be more in line with the BioWare NPC portraits, but neither he nor I knows how to achieve that.

Best wishes,

Eric

The portrait Nyx made for you is closer to a BG2 portrait than anything I could make, simply because I don't use "soft" brushes when I paint, they give too much of a "doll" complexion.

For the skin tones, I have been experimenting and researching a suitable palette, I didn't know there were specific BG2 skin tones though..

I love playing with facial expressions, and they usually change at least a billion times before the portrait is finished, I just follow my muse. :laugh:

Finally, unless you give me a reference of an armor you like, I don't have the skill to paint armors yet and won't be able to provide her with battle attire. I can probably do chainmail, but it's a very tedious thing to paint. :)

Just let me know if there are more details you want included in the portrait. :hm:

The portrait Nyx made for you is closer to a BG2 portrait than anything I could make, simply because I don't use "soft" brushes when I paint, they give too much of a "doll" complexion.

For the skin tones, I have been experimenting and researching a suitable palette, I didn't know there were specific BG2 skin tones though..

I love playing with facial expressions, and they usually change at least a billion times before the portrait is finished, I just follow my muse. :laugh:

Finally, unless you give me a reference of an armor you like, I don't have the skill to paint armors yet and won't be able to provide her with battle attire. I can probably do chainmail, but it's a very tedious thing to paint. :)

Just let me know if there are more details you want included in the portrait. :hm:

Skin tones are consistent with those of D&D Forgotten Realms Sylvan Elves. I was trying to find an image of leather armor that resembles leaves from a forest formed into a suit of armor, but couldn't find anything suitable. When not armored, her usual traveling attire includes a light, fine, sleeveless tabard and a short cape, both forest shades of green with sunny yellow highlights. They would be of a simple cut, embroidered with natural designs. Her unicorn pendant is a must, as she wears the symbol of her faith: a sleeping unicorn's head, facing left.

That's all I can think of.

Thanks again!

Eric

Archived