Artist Michael Whelan's artwork not to be used

ericp07

Passing this along, per Mrs. Whelan's request, in response to my having asked for permission to use a cropping of one of Mr. Whelan's art pieces as an alternate portrait for my mod:

Re: Cropping of Whelan art

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:59 PM

"Customer Service" <customerservice@michaelwhelan.com>

To:

"Eric P."

Thanks so much Eric - and if you can pass along that these people are violating artists' copyrights - that would be a great favor!

Audrey

On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Eric P. wrote:

> --- On Mon, 2/14/11, Customer Service <customerservice@michaelwhelan.com> wrote:

>

> From: Customer Service <customerservice@michaelwhelan.com>

> Subject: Cropping of Whelan art

> Date: Monday, February 14, 2011, 10:43 AM

>

> From our FAQ's:May I use one of Michael Whelan's images as a

> signature tag or to illustrate my role-playing game character or for

> any other online purpose?

>                 No. Altering any Michael Whelan image is strictly prohibited.

>

> Michael sincerely appreciates all your enthusiasm and support and

> it is difficult for him to say "no" to fans, but he cannot allow any

> altering of his images. Every presentation of his artwork reflects on

> his craft and he cannot guarantee quality reproduction on any site

> except this one.

> If an image is taken from a book cover or other illustration, there

> is also the author, musician, or publisher's copyright to consider.

>

> HI Eric -We really appreciate you asking, but this FAQ came about because of someone taking a dragon from one of Michael's paintings and plopping it into a landscape from a Roger Dean painting. Then the "artist" had the audacity to call it her own work! When we contacted her, she claimed that she didn't get the dragon from our website, but from some other "fantasy art" site and it was just the dragon, so she didn't know it was a cropped version of Michael's work. If we hadn't caught her, the image could have been all over the web as her artwork. 

> So - sorry to be so tough - but no.

> Sincerely,Audrey Price (Mrs. Whelan)

Feedback is welcome, especially if anyone has gotten permission for specific images.

Thanks,

Eric

That would be cool, if I had something to offer as compensation (besides credit in the readme). I don't.

- E

i'll explain more.

career-hopeful artists tend to emulate careered artists. this means it's probable you can find one who emulates whelan's style.

just from the few (fledgling) artists that i've known, they like little jobs like this because it's a genuine business transaction that they can include in their portfolio.

because of the size of the job and that you're helping their exposure, a simple BG2 portrait could be had very cheaply. depending on your own skillset or connections, these things can sometimes be worked out in trade.

you just need to do a little research to find these artists.

SHS has a forum thread for this kind of request, or you could find a DeviantArt person who's style you like and request; if it really matters to you that it be a bigger name, then comissioning from a known artost is also possible (but I have never seen it done and then you have a copyright mess to deal with.)

That would be cool, if I had something to offer as compensation (besides credit in the readme). I don't.

- E

i'll explain more.

career-hopeful artists tend to emulate careered artists. this means it's probable you can find one who emulates whelan's style.

just from the few (fledgling) artists that i've known, they like little jobs like this because it's a genuine business transaction that they can include in their portfolio.

because of the size of the job and that you're helping their exposure, a simple BG2 portrait could be had very cheaply. depending on your own skillset or connections, these things can sometimes be worked out in trade.

you just need to do a little research to find these artists.

There were a few artists on one artist site to whom I pitched the idea. The only two who expressed interest dropped the ball, which discouraged me. I'll look for other similar artists, and get the word out to more people, just in case someone bites.

As for my own skills, when it comes to graphics, I don't create, but I do a lot of image enhancement, adjusting color balance, contrast, sharpness, etc.

Any recommendations for artists or art gallery sites are welcome! I'd be searching through Elfwood, but for some reason, individual images don't display in my browser anymore, but only thumbnail galleries show on-screen. I haven't figured that one out.

Thanks,

Eric

SHS has a forum thread for this kind of request, or you could find a DeviantArt person who's style you like and request; if it really matters to you that it be a bigger name, then comissioning from a known artost is also possible (but I have never seen it done and then you have a copyright mess to deal with.)

RTW's wallpaper (large file!) was made on commission by a professional artist.

That is a b-e-a-utiful picture! :) I'm familiar with the artist's work, but I haven't thought about her for a while now. Thanks for the reminder! I'll ask her about this, too. Nothing to lose :)

- E

Yes indeed, it was through the SHS request I made that I received the one portrait I currently have for Erysseril. Aside from that, none of the requests I've made at SHS have yielded any results, so I'm finished making requests in that forum, probably forever. As for DeviantArt, I still feel discouraged, but I'll keep trying. The artists there are friendly, but I've gotten no joy from those I've contacted, which is a shame, because they all do incredible work.

Thanks,

Eric

That is a b-e-a-utiful picture! :) I'm familiar with the artist's work, but I haven't thought about her for a while now. Thanks for the reminder! I'll ask her about this, too. Nothing to lose :)

- E

Heh, Selena Fenech shot me down, too. The quest continues...

- E

No professional artist will allow you to crop and redistribute his work (without paying for licensing). If you want cheap/free labor, put an ad somewhere in your local Academy of burger flipping Arts.

It's not easy being a cheap bastard :)

Still scouring the 'net...

- E

No professional artist will allow you to crop and redistribute his work (without paying for licensing).
So the RtW team paid for the art?

Try checking NWN for content, depending on what you're looking for. Probably not technically "legal" to modify/redistribute that either, but neither is to do so with BG2 content.

Archived