SCSII settings in a BWP setup

Guest Karmapowered

Guest Karmapowered

Hello,

I am discovering this fine mod through a BWP (beta) setup of the game I have recently started, and I am enjoying myself a lot so far.

I would like to ask the differences between the different options that I am given by the BWP setup, namely :

Sword Coast Stratagems II (EN)
Increase difficulty of level-dependant monster groupings
7030 - mildly increased difficulty
7031 - significantly increased difficulty
7032 - almost maximum difficulty (maximum for everything except liches)
7033 - maximum difficulty

7040 - Improved random encounters

7032 is activated by default.

I assume 7040 actually activates the improved AI of random encounters.

Is there a way to keep improved random encounters, without giving them (in my opinion) an unhealthy amount of healing/invisibility/fire giant strength potions ?

I like to play my game with using the least potions as possible, but if enemies keep guzzling them, it tends to make each encounter a battle of attrition between them and my party.

Thank you for your work on this otherwise excellent mod :)

I like to play my game with using the least potions as possible, but if enemies keep guzzling them, it tends to make each encounter a battle of attrition between them and my party.
SCS2 (probably) doesn't give random creatures potions, but rather lets them use any they have. You may be interested in Aurora's Realistic random treasures component, or upping the settings if you've already got it installed, say to option #5 (50%) or #6 (75%) which will have the net effect of removing half or 3/4 of the random potions and similar such loot on enemies. Note that some enemies have non-random potions specified on them, so this wouldn't affect that. Also, the BGT Spawn mod increases the number of random spawns, which also has the effect of increasing random loot such as potions (Aurora's component was actually designed to help balance that).
Guest Karmapowered
SCS2 (probably) doesn't give random creatures potions, but rather lets them use any they have. You may be interested in Aurora's Realistic random treasures component, or upping the settings if you've already got it installed, say to option #5 (50%) or #6 (75%) which will have the net effect of removing half or 3/4 of the random potions and similar such loot on enemies. Note that some enemies have non-random potions specified on them, so this wouldn't affect that. Also, the BGT Spawn mod increases the number of random spawns, which also has the effect of increasing random loot such as potions (Aurora's component was actually designed to help balance that).

Thank you, Miloch.

Your replies are always concise, and helpful.

I was under the impression that during my very first BG2 playthrough enemies wouldn't have as many potions. Since it quite dates by now, I may be wrong however, and it just may be that they always had them, but incorrectly used them.

Reading through the mod's readme, SCSII doesn't seem to "cheat", which matters most to me.

I still have issues with trolls using potions, for example, or orc mages casting contigencies, but I guess this is a purely personal preference, and if the game was designed in such a fashion, I will just have to learn and adapt :)

Please have a nice day.

Guest Fennek

A possible way to tackle the "problem" of trolls etc. using potions would be to split the "Potions for NPCs" component into two sub-components. "Potions for humanoids" (humans, elves, dwarfs, half-orcs etc.) and "Potions for monsters" (orks, trolls etc.). Trolls and all the other monsters can certainly find potions (and some monsters might even produce them), but it might be a bit more "realistic" if (one can choose that) only "civilized" races have a good deal of them...

i don't have a clean install to look at, but it sounds like there could be a humanoid-check trigger block that could easily be slipped in before install.

incorrect terms but you get the jist.

TRIGGER=Humanoidable
OR(3)
	Race(Myself,Elf)
	Race(Myself,HalfElf)
	Race(Myself,Gnome)

Archived