Use IWD2 rules for BG2?

Guest SyntaxError

Guest SyntaxError

I own both IWD2 and BG2 and I much prefer the story of BG over IWD but I much prefer the IWD ruleset. I know there is a mod for IWD called icewind gate that attempted this, but it was incomplete and I'm wondering if it would be possible to use GemRB to accomplish this.

I'm especially intereseted in using GemRB over IcewindGate as icewind dale 2 was never made for mac (and even if it were it would have been PPC)

I'm a programmer (tho a bit of a noob) so I'm not afraid of learning python or anything if somebody can just point me in the right direction.

Sadly, this won't be possible anytime soon, since a lot of the iwd2-specific code is still missing (new rules and all). Even if we did support iwd2 enough yet, you'd have to fix/finish iwg2 first to convert the resources appropriately (or maybe it is good enough already, I don't know).

You're of course very welcome to help us scratch this itch.

Guest SyntaxError

That's too bad. Guess I'll stick to the regular BG rules for now.

I'm certainly looking to contribute when the semester is over. I don't know python, but I can learn.

I was thinking I would try making a port for iOS even though I have and android phone ;)

Guest SyntaxError
This is almost all done in c++, since currently practically only the gui glue is written in python.

I thought all the rules and such were python as well.\

I do know c++ but haven't used it in 4 years. I'm not really looking to doing anything complex at this time; I'm quite busy with school and my own projects.

Even if something is coded in c++, it doesn't mean it is hardcoded to a game type.

Many of the rules are governed by .2da and python script. Actually, this is one reason i don't want gametype hardcoded into the engine ;)

The goal is definitely an engine that needs little or no data change to make a crossover possible.

Even though, the priority is to make the original engines work.

:):DYou are in luck.

Nameless One did a Delta version that is much smoother. I have played through the game and am nearly at Suldanesselar. It plays much more smoothly than Wes Weimer's Beta version. Most of the time you won't be aware that you are playing a mod rather than an official Black Isle game.

You can play the ToB expansion too.

There are problems with translating a lot of the BG 2 features, Icewind Dale 2 lacks a lot of things found in BG 2. Or maybe they can be scripted but no-one currently knows how.

Icewind Gate 2 Blog at Bioware Forums

Certainly the Delta does not have a lot of the complications reported in the Sorceror's Place walkthrough for the Beta version.

GemRB would be the way to go, you can customize everything to your heart's content.

Icewind Dale 2 seems a touch nerfed: no Detect Evil, no working True Sight, no Imprisonment...

Archived