Murdaugh Not Giving Quest

FightCat

Hello

I got Icewind Dale Complete from GOG.com patched with Icewind Dale Fixpack released here.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get Murdaugh in Lonelywood's Whistling Gallow Inn to give me the quest of Ice Rose.

I even tried the cheat of resetting the dialogue somebody over at Gamebanshee forums claimed as follows:

By poking around in the dialogue file and experimenting, I finally reset Murdaugh's text to give me his quest. I'm not sure if it helped to have the character with the highest intelligence and/or charisma talk to him after resetting (since it wasn't working before) but the fix was very simple.

1. Bring up your cheat console window by pressing alt-tab. (Make sure cheats are enabled!)

2. Now, reopen the console, and type SetGlobal("Know_Murdaugh", "GLOBAL", 0)

3. Talk to him again, and ask him about himself, or ask why he is so articulate.

4. You should now be able to get the Ice Rose quest!

When I type the cheat code I get a reply saying "Nice try cheater", nothing else.

Anybody knows how I can get through this ? I just don't want to miss that huge amount of experience before progressing any further.

Thanks in advance.

Uh, it's me again.

Not long after posting this, I found out a workaround via some tool myself. Here is the solution for future reference:

- I had cheats enabled via Cheats=1 in my icewind.ini before I had done this. I don't know if it's a necessity but here are the terms anyway.

- I got Variable Checker from over here and extracted to some random folder. You need Java Runtime to be installed prior to using the tool. (head over to java.com in case you have not already)

- Run varcheck.jar by double-clicking it. Should your .jar files be associated with other programs such as, in my case, Ovi Suite (Nokia mobiles software), you have to shift-right click to get the "open with..." context menu. Then you should choose/browse to choose Java Platform SE binary etc.

- You may encounter some error dialog box, ignore.

- Browse to the save folder you would like edited. Remember, it's not the mpsave folder, rather the very own folder of the specific save file.

- After your file is loaded, click the topmost dropdown box labeled Global Variable and scroll to choose KNOW_MURDAUGH (1) (it's "1" since you should already have met him so that you are having this issue).

- With KNOW_MURDAUGH selected, write 0 instead of that 1 next to the variable. Click Upd... and click Save File... down there. You're done.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Thanks so much to the author of the tool.

Regarding Murdaugh, you have to: 1. Learn he's a bard. 2. Offer to buy him a dring and pester him until he tells you his tale - in song. The dialog sequence should be (2,1,4,1,3,1,3). It works for me, anyway.

Make sure Cheats=1 is in the Game Options section of the Icewind.ini file.

[CTRL]+[TAB] enables the in-game console.

CHEATERSDOPROSPER is the command for vanilla IWD, GETYOURCHEATON if you have the expansions installed.

Guest Wraith_Sarevok
Regarding Murdaugh, you have to: 1. Learn he's a bard. 2. Offer to buy him a dring and pester him until he tells you his tale - in song. The dialog sequence should be (2,1,4,1,3,1,3). It works for me, anyway.

Make sure Cheats=1 is in the Game Options section of the Icewind.ini file.

[CTRL]+[TAB] enables the in-game console.

CHEATERSDOPROSPER is the command for vanilla IWD, GETYOURCHEATON if you have the expansions installed.

Not sure if it's a bug or not, but if you DON'T buy Murdaugh a drink on the very first time you talk to him, you will miss the story (and possibly lose the glacier rose quest) completely. There's no option to ask him about it the second time you talk to him.

I found this out on a play of my game (IWD + HoW + TotLM + G3 Fixpack v1), although I brought him the glacier rose AFTER hearing the story. I did not have the GameText update installed.

Archived