Custom spell (.spl) creation tutorial?

ericp07

Hello,

I find myself in need of learning to create a spell, to cause my mod NPC to change her color scheme (for clothing and such) upon certain conditions. When I search for information, I see mostly links to kit creation, but I'm not creating a kit for this *L* Is there an appropriate tutorial (or more than one) I should read?

Thanks!

Eric

Just fire up dltcep or maybe ni, look at existing spells and thrn create your own. The list of effects is also on iesdp.

That was my thought, just wondered if there was anything written about it. I use NI for such things, as there's no dltcep for Mac, to my knowledge. I see where I can modify "color 1", "color 2", and "color 3", but I don't know what exactly those refer to. I'll see if iesdp will shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Eric

I believe those are RGB values, and an unused alpha byte that may not even show up (it may be "Unknown"). But those should only be for coloring/shading, not for component colors.

Component colors are "Set item color", and those have the location drop-down and the gradient picker. With a timing mode of 1, they should modify the color field in the saved CRE file directly as long as you choose the right component location (major/minor and hair and such). I can't remember if you can change all the locations, but you can at least do major color and minor color, permanently. These changes will also be reflected in the in-game GUI (even if the gradient is not one that is normally available for manual selection, it will correctly show up on the picker button in the inventory window).

I believe those are RGB values, and an unused alpha byte that may not even show up (it may be "Unknown"). But those should only be for coloring/shading, not for component colors.

Component colors are "Set item color", and those have the location drop-down and the gradient picker. With a timing mode of 1, they should modify the color field in the saved CRE file directly as long as you choose the right component location (major/minor and hair and such). I can't remember if you can change all the locations, but you can at least do major color and minor color, permanently. These changes will also be reflected in the in-game GUI (even if the gradient is not one that is normally available for manual selection, it will correctly show up on the picker button in the inventory window).

I had a feeling the three slots I saw weren't what I wanted, and I've since sorted all this out by creating three custom .spl files, one for each color scheme (where the NPC animation's major and minor colors change). It's been suggested that, if I wanted any other colors to change, I should do that in .itm files, but I don't think that will be necessary. I'll just make sure her upgraded armor will be in colors appropriate to season by duplicating the armor, and changing the colors, then making that version available when the time comes.

I know, this is an excessive level of detail, but that's the way I am :)

Thanks!

Eric

Archived