Modded v6 Walkthrough

I finished the first run through. It was straight vanilla, not even fixes in the included tweaks.

I've reinstalled and started a new game with Kulyok's IWD NPC's conversion and more. This one's for fun. Here's the log.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #15 // BIFF everything
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #20 // convert animations
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #60 // Convert GUI
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #100 // copy over portraits
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #110 // convert soundsets
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #210 // convert music
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #430 // Thieves use light crossbows
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #560 // Resting in towns
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #570 // Collected string updates
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #600 // Decompress NARR files
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #730 // wipe death movie
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #760 // Clear out BG2 sample characters
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #840 // Misc string fixes
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #850 // EXE modifications
~IWD_IN_BG2/SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #5000 // BIFF misc files
~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Fixpack (fixes residual errors in the converter - MUST BE INSTALLED)
~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Game ends when the main character dies
~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Spawns are always at maximum difficulty
~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Add map notes
~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Restore (most) BG2 spells and make scrolls available
~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Never lose access to Orrick the Gray's trade goods
~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // IWD NPC for IWD-in-BG2 conversion, v1
~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // Alternate class for Korin -> Korin, multiclass cleric/ranger
~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // Alternate class for Nella -> Nella, multiclass fighter/druid
~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // Alternate class for Teri -> Teri, multiclass thief/mage
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Allow Thieving and Stealth in Heavy Armor: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2295 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> Use Cleric Level Progression Changes With Normal Cleric Spell Table: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For All Creatures in Game: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Items (Icelus): v9
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3210 // Minimum Stats Cheat: v9

Just entered the Kuldahar Valley and I've noticed a couple of things. Graphically the fog of war is cleaner and the smoke from chimneys is properly transparent. I also didn't have a phantom Hrothgar following me around. Still don't have the random treasures appearing in containers, though. I also had to rerun the beetle battle below the Easthaven tavern - one of the critters managed to get all the way out of the tavern and apparently screwed up the global setting...

I thought about it, and maybe this is a better choice than adding to the already existing thread with the old, totally unmodded walkthrough. I've reached the Vale of Shadows and cleared the first two tombs.

Only one new problem of note: fighter/druid leveled up druid and gained 13hp (should be 5 or 6), mage/thief leveled up mage and gained 7hp (should be 3 or 4).

AR3301 - Therik and the two zombies at the entrance do not attack even when attacked. Their footprint is clearly red (enemy).

AR3501 and beyond - Skeleton archers fire once and then close for melee (no ammo). It seems the AROW_P1/P2 and RNGP1/P2 randoms are present but with only one instead of five.

Regarding the level-ups, I've watched and checked and it seems they're getting a +2hp for both classes instead of +2 fighter types and +1 the other classes, but not going beyond the maximum hp/level otherwise. Why the 13 and 7 I've no idea, unless it's tied to dropping the difficulty from core to average for level-up (max hp/level so my barbarian doesn't see hp strangeness) and it's setting all previous levels/dice to max and adding con bonuses (all cons tweaked with SK after reaching Kuldahar).

Finished with the Vale and Temple of the Forgotten God with no problems, as well as the first level of Dragon's Eye.

Dragon's Eye level two has two major problems.

Freeing Mother Egenia:

GlobalGT("SPRITE_IS_DEADTalonite","GLOBAL",9)

[currently 8 after killing everything into the zigurat, requires troll201-206 (all dead), talonite_priest1 & 4, talonite_priestess2 & 3 (all dead), troll206 and priestess3 missing from SPRITEISDEAD - failed to increment?]

Freeing Sheemish:

Global("LKingDead","GLOBAL",1) [set]

GlobalGT("Pathdead","GLOBAL",4)

[cannot find this global, requires lizard_man_shaman_kid, kid2, kid3, wraith_spider_kid_1 -- have SPRITEISDEADlizardmanshaman = 1, lizard_man_shaman_ = 1, wraith_spider_kid_ = 1 - names too long to read properly and so fail to increment?]

I'll manually set the globals and continue from there.

always thought that the sprite is dead variables were capped at 18 characters... or there was at least a discussion about needing to keep them that short for some reason...

were these variables carried over from IWD un-moddified or were they changed along the way? Perhaps there are some small differences between how the engine reads the information in the two games....

One correction from my previous post - the talonite priestess' are being truncated to SPRITE_IS_DEAD_TALONITE_PRIESTESS = 1, no _2 or _3. This alone would stop the increment of SPRITE_I S_DEADTalonite at 8, and troll206 would be uninvolved.

If what plainab says is true, then the globals for lizard_man_shaman_kid#, wraith_spider_kid# and talonite_priestess# would be truncated, and possibly stop the related globals (SPRITE_IS_DEADTalonite and Pathdead) from incrementing as well.

Can I manually change the IncrementGlobal commands in the AR4002.bcs, or are there other files that need changing as well?

@ plainab: It looks like vanilla IWD handles the variables differently than BG2. At least the .bcs is handled differently. This conversion sets the globals from the .bcs while IWD appears to set them from somewhere else.

my understanding was that 'sprite is dead' gets incremented whenever a creature of given script variable name is killed. which is why the script variable name was originally known as the death variable name instead.

I just remember that some people brought up some issues with having a script name longer than 18 (even tho the field can hold 32 characters). I think mainly it was in using the script name in association with script related sprite is dead checks. Cause SPRITE_IS_DEAD is already 14 characters and even tho the cre file allows up to 32 characters for a script name limiting it to 18 characters means that the checks like: SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADudumb02","GLOBAL",3) would work properly 14+18=32 I don't think the global variable field can be greater than 32 characters.

i know it doesn't solve your current issues with testing out the IWD in BG2, but it may shed light on why some of the stuff is behaving the way it does

GlobalGT("Pathdead","GLOBAL",4)

[cannot find this global, requires lizard_man_shaman_kid, kid2, kid3, wraith_spider_kid_1 -- have SPRITEISDEADlizardmanshaman = 1, lizard_man_shaman_ = 1, wraith_spider_kid_ = 1 - names too long to read properly and so fail to increment?]

found where this gets set. IWD uses a different version of the creature file and as such can set/increment SPRITE_IS_DEAD via scripting variable name, can set another death variable and can increment a third death variable as well.

examples:

LMSHKID.cre script variable name= LMShKid (i assume this got changed to lizard_man_shaman_kid)

when killed increment the SPRITE_IS_DEAD LMshkid but it also increments Pathdead

TOWNIEF1.cre no script variable so there is no SPRITE_IS_DEAD

but it does set Townie_Dead and increment Kill_Innocent

So there is potential for many different global/local variables needing to be worked around because of BG2's limited creature file abilities in comparison to those of IWD.

Okay, I tried something with AR4002.

In the AR4002.ARE file I changed the names of actors 37 thru 40 and 60 thru 64 as follows:

Talonite_Priest_# to TalonitePriest# (2 actors, these two for consistency only)

Talonite_Priestess_# to TalonitePriestess# (2 actors)

Wraith_Spider_Kid_# to WraithSpiderKid# (2 actors)

Lizard_Man_Shaman_Kid_# to LizardShamanKid# (LizardManShaman# was still too long) (3 actors)

In the AR4002.BCS file I likewise changed the above nine character references.

All globals set, Sheemish and Mother Egenia recognized they were free! :) One more bug resolved!

Looks like you were right, plainab. Globals need to be less than 33 characters to set correctly.

Finished Dragon's Eye level 3. Only one problem noted. When I returned to level 2 Mother Egenia did not remain at her location above the entrance to level 3 but began moving to the base of the ziggurat. She should remain above the entrance to level 3 until Dragon's Eye is cleared.

Finished Dragon's Eye level 4 with no additional problems. Just one item of note, the component for maximum spawns is not to be trifled with. It certainly has hit me with a few surprises (an extra group of lizard men on level 1, extra yuan-ti archers and mages on level 4). Heading into the final chambers of level 5 now and wondering what surprises may await...

Finished the Severed Hand with only one new problem. Seems Kaylessa's quest won't finish because some globals are too long. I got the required globals to work by:

1. Changing the names of the creatures in AR5402.are and AR5403.are from Shadowed_Elven_Sword and Shadowed_Elven_Arche to ShadowedElvenSword and ShadowedElvenArche

2. Changing all occurences of the names in AR5402.bcs and AR5403.bcs so (I#DV_/SPRITE_IS_DEAD)Shadowed_Elven_Sword and (I#DV_/SPRITE_IS_DEAD_Shadowed_Elven_Arche become (I#DV_/SPRITE_IS_DEAD)ShadowedElvenSword and (I#DV_/SPRITE_IS_DEAD)ShadowedElvenArch

Until both were done the SoldiersDead global would not increment.

yep, it's obvious that someone changed things for ease of understanding what is going on in conversion but really should have left alone....

tip: check the quest stuff before hand and shorten variable names as needed

yep, it's obvious that someone changed things for ease of understanding what is going on in conversion but really should have left alone....

tip: check the quest stuff before hand and shorten variable names as needed

Easier said than done. I asked about a project like this years ago over at SHS. The biggest problem with vanilla IWD is the bit coding. CamDawg & DavidW have had to create BAF coding to replace it. Not all work, and I'm finding them as I go so the next version will be even better.

Finished Upper Dorn's with only one new problem. Once I fulfill Bandoth's razor vine quest and leave his lab, once I leave his lab the game crashes if I try to reenter. I still suspect a script problem somewhere since it only happens after I give him the razor vine extract.

Now on to Wyrm's Tooth.

It's been a while since I've been able to update, so here I go...

Malfunctioning Items:

Owain's Lullaby failed to cast Cone of Cold.

Edion's Ring of Wizardry doubles 6th level spells instead of 5th level (per item description).

Icewind Dale:

Easthaven: Pomab unkillable except by CTRL+Y. Can be hit, but not reduced to anything below Barely Injured. False Pomabs don't disappear when the real Pomab is hit. The real Pomab can flee the room (may be part of the problem).

Heart of Winter:

Lonelywood: Hobart not present in the Whistling Gallows.

Barbarian Camp: Barbarians walk too fast to Great Mead Hall (may cause problems with Angaar later).

Barbarian Camp: First talk with Wylfdene does not gain 84,000xp when he declares you are not the Ten Town delegates, nor when you tell him you know nothing of the assassin (another 84,000xp).

Burial Isle: Ghost Shamans don't cast spells, or very rarely.

Burial Isle: Polar Bear Spirit roar has no effect on party.

The Barrows: Some Drowned Dead move too fast (may be hasted by Wailing Virgins, but in "fog of war"/unrevealed areas).

Barbarian Camp: Angaar not present at gate, found standing at right entrance to Mead Hall ("fog of war" not cleared that far into the camp, may not move as a result).

Mead Hall: Icasaract not seen fleeing Wylfdene's body, game continued properly.

Mead Hall: Far left exit to camp unreachable.

Now to deal with Icasaract, and then the Luremaster.

Archived