Can Fallen Paladins use paladin items?

berelinde

The thread title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking about paladin-specific items such as Carsomyr, the paladin bracers you get in Watchers' Keep, etc.? Not that there are a lot of paladin items in the game, but I'd still like to know.

I ask because I've got to make a "fallen paladin" kit for an NPC and I was wondering if I should use paladin usabilities or fighter usabilities. The guy really shouldn't be able to use Carsomyr.

While I'm at it, testing revealed something unexpected (at least to me). Low repuation does not cause Keldorn to Fall, but it does cause PC Player2 paladins to Fall. I found that interesting. Maybe I'm easily amused.

While I'm at it, testing revealed something unexpected (at least to me). Low repuation does not cause Keldorn to Fall, but it does cause PC Player2 paladins to Fall. I found that interesting. Maybe I'm easily amused.
maybe bioware made paladins are scripted to override the default and only fall under certain conditions? idk just a thought

Thanks for replying, plainab. I suspect there's something in dplayer3.bcs that makes PC paladins fall, but I'll find out more when I decompile dplayer3.bcs. Or baldur.bcs.

Anyway, after a lot of digging, I discovered that fallen paladins can use paladin items if they are equiped with ShadowKeeper but not if the items are placed in inventory. Not sure which way I'll go with this, exactly. I may just take the course of least resistance and give the kit fighter usabilities... if I need to make a kit at all.

There is a fallen paladin flag in the CRE structure, and setting it may remove the need to create a kit after all, but I'm not sure what happens if an in-party NPC with that flag set is present when the PC completes the final paladin stronhold quest. If he were a PC, his paladinhood would be restored, but I don't want that to happen for him, as I've got a separate quest to restore his status. I suspect that I'll find out when I decompile Sir Ryan Trawl's dialogue.

So I've got some dialogue- and script-delving to do.

no need to worry, only demson and garren restore paladinhood and they always target Player1:

$ grep -i regainpa scripts/bg2/* -n

$ grep -i regainpa dlg/bg2/* -n

dlg/bg2/demson.d:866:ActionOverride(Player1,RegainPaladinhood())~ EXIT

dlg/bg2/demson.d:870:ActionOverride(Player1,RegainPaladinhood())~ GOTO 111

dlg/bg2/garren.d:596: IF ~~ THEN DO ~ActionOverride(Player1,RegainPaladinhood())~ GOTO 51

Archived