Paladin Inquisitor bug

Dakk

Inquisitor Mind Shield

Description: The Inquisitor does not receive protection from Charm spells (Mind Shield) at level 1.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a BGT game (with FixPack)

2. Choose BG1

3. Create an Inquisitor

4. Level up to level 2

Expected behaviour: The Inquisitor should start at level 1 with Mind Shield, and the icon displayed, just as the Cavalier starts with all its immunities (Mind Shield, Resist Fear, Protection from Poison) and the Undead Hunter Negative Plane protection).

Actual behaviour: The Inquisitor gains Mind Shield at level 2.

Other: From all the sources I can gather, immunity to charm spells (= Mind Shield) is intrinsic to the Inquisitor class and should be active from level 1 - just like it works for all other Paladin kits.

Weidu:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9.01

~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.12 (12 Jun 2011)

~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #100 // TobEx - Core: Beta 0023

~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #110 // Disable Force Inventory Pause: Beta 0023

~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #220 // Simple Thief script: v3.71

~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #230 // Simple Bard script: v3.71

Finally I've made it big in the city - a contribution to the BG2 Fixpack (ok, I didn't actually code anything, but still ;))! Now I can retire :D

I'm surprised that's never been spotted, and thank you for coding it up aVENGER.

Are we sure this is a bug? Does it say anywhere that inquisitor kits start at Level 1 with charm immunity? If it was in fact intended to be a Level 2 buff, would they even note it (since you start at Level 7 anyway)?

I'm inclined not to mess with whatever they decided in the kit tables (unless it explicitly says it's a L1 benefit), especially since there's no source material that exactly matches the kits they implemented to know what they were thinking.

The closest thing to source material would be the Baldurs Gate 2 manual, which states:

PALADIN

Special Abilities:Weapon Specialization, Lay Hands, Turn Undead, +2 all Saving Throws, Protection from Evil, Detect Evil

CAVALIER

Special Abilities: Bonus to hit demons and dragons, immune to fear and poison. 20% resistance to fire/acid.

INQUISITOR

Special Abilities: Immune to hold and charm. True sight, dispel magic.

UNDEAD HUNTER

Special Abilities: Immune to hold and level drain. Bonus to hit and damage vs undead.

All kits start with all immunities, capabilities and innates at level 1. LH, PfE and DE evolves with level, but are there from level 1. The Inquisitor also gains Dispel Magic and True Sight once per day per every 4 levels - and starts at 1st level with one use each. Having them gain Mind Shield at level 2 is contrary to what the manual says their Special Ability is.

EDIT: Could there potentially be an issue that the Inquisitor would have ten rows in CLABPA03 (Mind Shield would become ABILITY10)? Although CLABM01 has 14 rows so... Also, what is the ABILITYA in CLAPBPA03? :)

The row count cap is higher (it's an arbitrary amount); the row labels are discarded ('A' is hex for 10).

If the inquisitor filled up his L1 column with nine abilities, then I'd agree that it was probably made L2 simply to keep the row count under 10 (but it can be higher, so it doesn't matter).

Ah I see. Thank you for explaining the A = 10! Makes sense.

What do you think, an (over)cautions programmer was afraid of going over 9 rows? Regarding actual developer intent, I think the lack of "gain/acquire/receive immunity to charm" is telling of what was intended.

PS. In case I sound confrontational at times, I apologise. I'm really not :)

I think it was just done for formatting (they didn't have to worry about characters < L7). It's possible they didn't want to test whether more than 9 rows would work (or maybe it originally didn't).

As long as it works, I don't see issue with moving it to Level 1. Normal players won't ever see it.

Archived