question/request: quest experience and difficulty

FGWquester

I have searched for a mod for Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games that would make the experience gained from quests independent of the difficulty setting. I have not found any, and I do not know how to do this on my own (yet).

I was wondering if it was possible to do this, or if quest and enemy experience are treated the same. I don't know if it is even possible to negate the setting's effects on experience without negating its effects on other parts of the game.

The reason I ask is because I (and a few people I know) think that quests are a large source of experience and that their major role in levelling causes the "easy" difficulty setting to be more difficult than normal due to lower levels, and that "hard" or "insane" is not that hard because of the bonus quest experience.

Thank you for your time.

Well, the XP mod seems to me to be able to separate between enemy and quest experience. Also, Icewind Dale is the only Infinity Engine game I have played so far that does give a bonus.

In my limited experience with Infinity Engine games, I can only remember getting quest experience from a conversation (no reward from doing what is asked until a conversation is started with the quest-giver). If my observation holds true for all quest experience, then I have an idea.

Store difficulty level, set difficulty level to default when a conversation is started, return difficulty level to stored value once conversation is over. This would, in theory, give default quest experience.

This is what I have been doing during my playthroughs on other difficulties. However, automating the process would be easier during play.

I think I read in the games' multiplayer information that killing someone that another player is talking to is prevented, so I would think that there is a way of telling if a conversation is occuring. If not, then I don't think my idea would be possible.

If there is any quest experience given outside of conversation, please let me know.

Archived