dialog.tlk busted for items

rafnow

Just tried to install item revision 3 (with hotfixes). I followed the same order I've used countless times with v2. Something in v3 caused all the item descriptions to get screwy. Has anyone else had this problem? The only item-affecting mods installed after v3 were from BG2Tweaks (add bags of holding, stores sell higher stacks of ammo, potion & gems require ID, unlimited stacking - I think that's it). Is this an order problem, or should I not install these BG2Tweak components, or should I not install the v3 potions and/or revised store components? Any help is appreciated.

did you start a fresh game after changing the installation? if you used a previous save, it is possible that the strref values already stored in the save game are different than the new values after the installation change.

Also, those BG2 tweaks shouldn't affect the dialog.tlk or adjust any strrefs in the item files.

If you continue to have problems after starting a fresh game, it may be best to revert to a fully clean install and then re-install the mods, testing between each one to see where and when the strrefs get screwed up if it gets screwed up again.

IR itself doesn't interfere with saved games (I often un/re-installed IR multiple times on the same game without any issue), my best guess is that the problem is one of the following:

1) putting certain files in the override folder (e.g. an itm file) without proper installation can mess up the diaolog string references

2) IR revised stores may affect a bunch of dialogs, and it may not be 100% compatible with previous games (aka old saves)

For 1) only you know if anything like that ever happended, for 2) I'll wait for Ardanis to pop up and look into it because I could be wrong.

Thank you for the replies. It was a fresh install so it wasn't a corrupted saved game problem (as a matter of fact I hadn't even started the game yet; I was just looking at the new item descriptions with Near Infinity and saw all the strings were messed up). But I did install "Bonus Merchants" from BG2Tweaks *after* Item Revisions / Revised Stores, and I now understand that's a no-no. I'll give it another try without the Bonus Merchants and see if that's the problem. Thanks again.

Problem solved on second install. Strangely, something messed up the installer. I installed the first components of item revisions, then quit (as recommended in the readme), installed some other items, then came back and installed the global changes. The first time, when I came back to install the global components the installer did not "remember" that I had installed the earlier components (i.e., instead of asking if I want no change, reinstall, or uninstall, it just asked if I wanted to install them). This second time I didn't have that problem and everything is fine.

Crazy question, but does it make a difference if one "control-c's" out of the program rather than "q"uitting? The first time I "control-c'ed"; the second time I "q"uit. Anyway, thanks for your help and for the awesome revisions!

Archived