WFX Files?

Sam.

So I was creating definitions for TrID - File Identifier so that it could recognize all of the Infinity Engine file formats (or at least all that I have access to as I don't have PST) and when I got to the WFX files, I didn't know what to call them. NearInfinity just calls them WFX files, so I looked in DLTCEP and it doesn't appear that it can even edit them... When loading, it gives the message:

Found 7 wfx whatever is it(s) in chitin.key.

What good is that? :p The IESDP has a seemingly complete description for them, and NI can edit them, so why not DLTCEP (other than how infrequently they are used)?

Anyway, I ended up calling them "Infinity Engine Wave Special Effects". Is that as accurate as any, or do they have a proper name beyond the file extension itself?

Edit: On a slightly related note, can .VEF files (visual effects) actually be used in BG2, and what is known about the structure. To those who haven't heard of this file (I hadn't either), it's even rarer than WFX files as they seemingly only apply to BGII and there are no known files of this type... *facepalm* ... lol

I could add a simple field editor for wfx, but i still haven't seen them in use.

Infinity Engine Wave (Special) Effects is a perfect name, i couldn't give better.

About .VEF files All i know they should be listed in the vefproj.ids file (iwd2 has this too).

Archived