WAV to WAVC?

Xyx

She was speaking about ogg, which only gemrb supports natively. For the original engine, you have to either not use ogg or other exotic sane formats or convert it to wav in the installer. Hence the OS-dependant batch scripts that run oggdec or similar.

Let me clarify.

First of all, I have only ever copied sounds to the override directory, never to the sound folder, so if you have crashing when WAVC files are accessed from the sounds folder, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry. I know WAVC works fine in the override... which you can't use for PC soundsets.

Usually, modders compress WAV files to OGG format to save space, but that requres operating system-dependent batch scripts that use oggdec or similar to convert the OGG files back to the WAV files that the game can read. Like Lynx says. The problem with this method is that you need three different installation routines, one for each operating system.

If you have only one or two sound files and can copy straight to the override folder, you can use PS GUI to convert the WAV files to WAVC and copy them directly to the override folder without any need to bother with the batch files. But since you need to copy the sounds to the "sounds" folder, that doesn't seem to be working for you.

With that in mind, you might have to compress the sounds to OGG and use batch files to decompress them in the directory you want. If you are comfortable working with other mods as templates, Icewind Dale 2 NPC Project does what you want it to do: It takes OGG files and uses oggdec to decompress them and copy them to the sounds folder. You could look at the tp2 code and BAT files for that mod to see what you need to do, if you wanted to go that route.

of course the games can recognise compressed WAVs, being as how that's the native format for sounds.

I think what ericp07 meant was whether the game will accept .wavc files in the sounds folder. The other soundsets are in .wav format.

That's a fair statement, as I locate all .wav files in the sounds folder.

Archived