Belm scimitar on a Kensai/Mage affects Mislead spell and Melfs minute meteors

Hi there,

First off many thanks to this community for contributing to the on going support of my most favourite PC game that has consumed more months of my life then any other. To have people still actively supporting such an old game is amazing, so many many thanks!

Now for the belm bug:

I've just joined after noting this bug while playing the GOG version of BG2 (SoA + ToB) + Ascension Mod + BG2 Fixpack (Core fixes + Beta fixes + Improved spell animation + cromwell's forging takes a day) + Widescreen Mod.

Install Order

-BG2 GOG edition

-Ascension Mod (all mods)

-BG2 Fixpack v9

-Widescreen Mod

First off my character class is a dual classed Kensai 13/Mage 14. I have Daystar equiped in my right hand and Belm (scimitar +2 that grants +1 to attack speed) in my left. If I cast Melf's Minute Meteors with both weapons equiped I get 5/2 attacks per round instead of the 5 I should do. This can be remedied by de-equiping belm +2 (whether it be in the right or left hand). This can be done before or after the spell. Using a dual weapon combination excluding belm (Daystar and Flametongue) does not affect the spell's 5 attacks per round.

This is not such a bad bug, belm is but one weapon that I will replace eventually, but it does have a very odd effect that drastically improves (breaks) the level 6 Mislead spell. I am all of a sudden able to attack with my clone!

I haven't done indepth testing but I was lead to believe that the clone is done so at your current level (mostly for the Hitpoints), as a Dual class Kensai this basically gives you another very powerful warrior to fight along side you.

Just an extra note, it does not matter what weapon I use; I swapped out Daystar for Flame Tongue+4 with the same effect, just Belm is the problem.

Well since I'm now thinking about bugs there is something else, although very minor. The Staff of the Archmagi is equiped on my NPC Jan. If the weapon is equiped in Jan's first quick weapon slot all is good and "Spell Trap" works as it should replenishing spells (well I don't know if it works perfectly, but it does replenish spells when hit with magic), if it is in his second weapon quickslot "Spell Trap" works, but does not return spells back to Jan. Very minor and easily fixed by changing the slots around.

Now the more silly question. I was lead to believe that after you finished the Romance with Viconia successfully (I am playing SoA currently) that a reputation over 18 (ie 19/20) would no longer prompt her to leave without warning. This seemed to be the case until I transitioned to Chapter 4 and now she is prompting me to leave just about ever hour of game time or so. I did change my party layout from Viconia, Jan and myself to include both Valygar and Mazzy before leaving for spellhold. Do you think having good aligned party members added rocked the boat a bit too much for Viconia, or is it just how the game is and so I'll need to wait to get my slayer form to make things right with her (Though I like the idea that since Jan, Viconia and myself had done so much together that the game takes into account time spent together and the friendships formed through the many challenges they faced and their unwillingness to allow outsiders into an already well oiled party machine).

Many thanks!

I think the combat prevention of images works by setting their attacks per round to 0. It makes sense that Belm can break it then, since an opcode immunity may be missing. Surely they did cover haste though.

So, I've played and played and played with MMM+Belm and can't find a way to fix this. For the spells with ApR we can farm out the ApR to a shell spell and block it to prevent the wraparound, but that doesn't work for spells. I've tried various combos of MMM setting ApR and blocking further changes, but these also fail.

Belm + Mislead, though, is an easy fix.

I've not been able to replicate your spell trap issues.

Viconia will leave when she gets unhappy, i.e. high rep, regardless of romance status.

I feel a bit unknowledgeable about all those acronyms being used.

What is ApR? (first guess Actions per Round)

It isn't a huge issue as it can be resolved by de-equiping belm to get the 5 attacks per round with Melf's Minute Meteors.

As for spell trap on the staff I can describe the effect a bit better:

Equipping the staff in Jan's first right hand slot and then casting spell trap works fine. If I attack someone in the party to dispel the invisibility granted by the staff then get someone to cast magic missile at Jan all works well and Jan gains a Magic missile spell back. If however I cast spell trap while the staff is in the second quick slot the magic missile spell is absorbed but the spell itself is not given back to him.

I think I need to educate myself considerably more on what is been done by this community as I am pretty much clueless...any good beginners material to help educate myself on what is happening inside the game?

I hear things like opcode being thrown around on the forums which to me automatically conjures images of assembly language programming...I'm not a programmer, though I dabbled in the very basics a long time ago.

Thanks again for your input, even though I don't really understand fully what is meant ;)

Archived