Trouble installing BG1 + TotSC

Spider

Hopefully somone can help me get the game to run.

I installed the full CD compliment of both games and the TotSC offical patch. I did not patch to the TotSC DirectX8 patch. My computer has DirectX10.

I started the game up and had no voices. So I went and installed the Bigg's wide-screen mod. I followed the prompts for it choosing 1920x1200. I could not find anywhere other than in it, by the prompts, to set the resolution. After starting the game I still have no voices, not even for the introduction, and the screen is still at 640x480.

I have attached a system information file for my computer with the basics following I had to crop out a good sized portion of the file to get it past the 1000 Kb limit.:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

RAM: 32.0 GB

OS Name / Vers: Win 7 64-bit Pro / 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (two of them)

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio (on board)

Follow up:

I tried playing BGII + ToB. I have no voices in it either. The resolution is higher though but that is set in the config.

I did notice in both games that Environmental Audio is deselected. I cannot select.

SysInfo_alt.txt

Where did you install the game?

F:\Games\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate

F:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA

And thanks for the reply.

P.S. I wonder if I should not install this brand new top-o-the-line Sound Blaster I bought for this computer. I never installed it because the on-board one is pretty good. I paid almost $200.00 for the Sound Blaster and was thinking of selling it online.

Thanks for the response Jarno. I'm going to have to stop exploring this thread of thought. I can't even get BG1 + TotSC to run, other than in 640x480 and with no voices. I'm going to start a new thread in the hopes someone can help
Erhm, it helps if you set up the game correctly without modifying the baldur.ini ... (uninstall and remove the game folder and then) make a full (custom) install (with all boxes checked), then after that you run the BGConfig.exe, this will allow you to set up a few things like moderate video options(no high resolution yet !). And then you run the game and make sure it actually works without black boxes etc.

And then you make a back up, I suggest as a .rar archive. And then you can install mods like the Widescreen mod etc to get the 1920 x 1200 resolution like I have.

This has offitically become an exercise in futility. I would use some other choice words but I'll try to keep it clean instead. :)

I uninstalled Baldur's Gate using the Windows routine and then deleted the directory. I then popped in CD1 and up popped the pretty install me window of Baldur's Gate. I click on Install and up pops UAC's "Are you sure" window. Dumb computer! After clicking on the Yes button everything goes away with nothing happening. No installation.

On a hunch I turned off UAC and restarted the computer. It is now installing. Waiting..., waiting...

It took a slightly longer period of time to install the game disks. When it came time to reinsert disk 1 it took much longer. Eventually it came up to the Launching Movie dialogue. It has been five minutes and I'm still waiting for the movie to launch. The CD drive light is a solid green, no blinking. So far this has been a totally different install than the other day, taking much longer. Waiting... waiting...

It took over 10 minutes 'til the movie began playing. I still have no voices. Neither the movie when the game first loads giving you the back ground, nor if I talk to one of the mages. I know the config program is accessing my Baldur.Ini as I changed the region from 0 to 5. Also, I have two Program Options sections in it, both with Volume Movie lines in them.

So, I'm back to Square 1 with the game still not working correctly. I have not installed any patches nor TotSC. Again I'm pondering, should I install the DirectX patch after I install TotSC and its patch? FYI, I've got a thread going on over at Spellhold also. I'm going to close that thread, giving a link to the thread we have going here.

You shouldn't need to install the DirectX patch (and I'm not sure that it works with the Widescreen mod). If you can, I would try turning off UAC before installing the game and mods.

Edit: I apologize for the overzealous moderation... I merged the troubleshooting posts into this thread, but the topic ID got changed along the way, so your SHS link will need to be updated.

You shouldn't need to install the DirectX patch (and I'm not sure that it works with the Widescreen mod). If you can, I would try turning off UAC before installing the game and mods.

Edit: I apologize for the overzealous moderation... I merged the troubleshooting posts into this thread, but the topic ID got changed along the way, so your SHS link will need to be updated.

You had me going there for a moment. Since, for some unknown reason that the forum is not sending me e-mails, and yes, I've got the options checked, I'm having to look in the "Content I follow" link. All that means is I had to go searching.

Moving on, I went ahead and installed TotSC and its patch and the DirectX patch. No problem in running the game, but I've still got no sound. I'm going to set that aside for the moment and try to get the wide-screen mod installed.

I had already turned off UAC prior to seeing your response. Hopefully it'll let Bigg's patch install properly. I'm going to set the voices problem aside as I suspect it may be my onboard sound card. I say this because SoA has no voices either. BUT, BG1:EE has the voices.

An hour later. I went to install Bigg's 3.05 wide-screen mod and it keeps cancelling out on me, creating a log file. Reading it I see that it indicates the CDs are not installed locally: "BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [Y:\CD6\/DATA/EXPAREAS.BIF]". So I went looking. The game, and I told it to, did not install the CDs to my hard drive. I put each CD in when it asked me to. I'm going to pull the CDs from an old, non-functioning install... Working...

I copied the CDs over to this install and changed the INI CD line to point to where they are — F:\Games\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate. I think the reason Bigg's mod is cancelling out may have something to with the line: WARNING: parsing log [WeiDU.log]: Sys_error("WeiDU.log: No such file or directory"). I've attached the file to this posting and I thought WeiDu was built into the installer.

Someone please, please help me get BG1 + TotSC up and running, both the voices and the wide screen. I really don't like the EE version that much. But that's my opinion. I'll even donate more to the support of G3 if that'll help.

No problem in running the game, but I've still got no sound.
Sorry to get back to this :D:p;) ... but what kind of sound equipment do you have ? As in how many loudspeaker do you have... as the 2+ setups fail usually as something makes the sound level so low it can't actually normally be heard. The fix for this is to alter the sound setup so it things there's only two speakers and it should bring back the sounds. The easiest way perhaps is to open the control panel, search for the word "sound" and open the first one or the "Manage audio devices" and configure the speakers which will give you option to turn the speakers to Stereo mode, two outputs.

I copied the CDs over to this install and changed the INI CD line to point to where they are — F:\Games\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate. I think the reason Bigg's mod is cancelling out may have something to with the line: WARNING: parsing log [WeiDU.log]: Sys_error("WeiDU.log: No such file or directory"). I've attached the file to this posting and I thought WeiDu was built into the installer.
No, that's the usual message as the file doesn't exist when you have not installed a mod yet. So it can be ignored.

An hour later. I went to install Bigg's 3.05 wide-screen mod and it keeps cancelling out on me, creating a log file. Reading it I see that it indicates the CDs are not installed locally: "BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [Y:\CD6\/DATA/EXPAREAS.BIF]". So I went looking. The game, and I told it to, did not install the CDs to my hard drive. I put each CD in when it asked me to. I'm going to pull the CDs from an old, non-functioning install... Working...
Now this is probably the problem that makes you unable to install the widescreen mod... and it might be just that you need to make a full custom install(with all boxes checked) also when you install the add on pack(TotSC), yep, the BG1 can be a full install without the add on pack being a full install, but the minimal.. and then you can't install any mods. Fun, yeah.

To give better glues to us what's going off you should open the .debug file with the Notepad and copy paste the text to a post.

No problem in running the game, but I've still got no sound.
Sorry to get back to this :D:p;) ... but what kind of sound equipment do you have ? As in how many loudspeaker do you have... as the 2+ setups fail usually as something makes the sound level so low it can't actually normally be heard. The fix for this is to alter the sound setup so it things there's only two speakers and it should bring back the sounds. The easiest way perhaps is to open the control panel, search for the word "sound" and open the first one or the "Manage audio devices" and configure the speakers which will give you option to turn the speakers to Stereo mode, two outputs.

Yeah, I see you using smileys to giggle at me too. :p I searched the Internet for hours looking for anything and everything and found nothing coming even close to your suggestion. End result that solved it. I have a 7.1 speaker set up. Dropping it down to 2-speaker solved the problem. Wanting to test I took it further, the 5.1 speaker setting was a no go. The 4-speaker (quadraphonic) setting works. I will gladly, jumping up and down exstatically accept that. With bells on!

No, that's the usual message as the file doesn't exist when you have not installed a mod yet. So it can be ignored.

Okay, understood.

Now this is probably the problem that makes you unable to install the widescreen mod... and it might be just that you need to make a full custom install(with all boxes checked) also when you install the add on pack(TotSC), yep, the BG1 can be a full install without the add on pack being a full install, but the minimal.. and then you can't install any mods. Fun, yeah.

To give better glues to us what's going off you should open the .debug file with the Notepad and copy paste the text to a post.

As I said, when I installed BG1 and TotSC I selected the check boxes for each telling it to do a full install. Honest. At this point I'm going to uninstall and reinstall again. I'll make darn certain they are clicked. I will then start it up and install Bigg's mod. If I get an error I'll pass along the debug file. Note: I attached it to my earlier posting. The funny thing is once I get the Bigg installed I get to play with installing those mods that truly make the game functional. Basically, just fixes and non-adventuring mods. And during that process I'm going to document it all over on my site in case someone else runs into the same problems.

That was interesting. To install TotSC I had to restart the computer Then it installed.

Now, I told it again to install all the CDs and check marked each selector for each disk. However, when I look at the directory they are not there. Neither are the paths reflected in the INI file. The CDs are still pointing towards the CD drive. I installed the TotSC patch, but not the DirectX patch. I would like to add the DirectX patch to the install. The reason I'm thinking of installing the DirectX patch is that I intend to set the game up for me and the wife to play on the home network.

Does it make a difference if I manually copy the CDs to the Discs directory of the game, making the appropriate changes to the INI file? In looking at the installed INI and another from a non-functioning install I see no differences.

The voices are working which solves one problem. After the Disc content oddity is resolved I'll go and try Bigg's mod again.

Yeah, I see you using smileys to giggle at me too. :p I searched the Internet for hours looking for anything and everything and found nothing coming even close to your suggestion.
Well, I made a google search for "5.1 speaker BG2" without the quotes and it gave me this: http://www.gog.com/f..._surround_sound ... as one of the first results, a topic which hints that there really is a problem, and how to resolve it:
Strange, I have the same X-Fi sound card with 5.1 speakers and play BG2 without that issue. The game does not offer true 5.1 sound of course, but by enabling the CMSS-3D option in the Creative Console (switched to "Game Mode"), the sound card redirects the sound to all speakers.
But finding the solution came down to experience here. And I kinda have a lot of that.

End result that solved it. ... I will gladly, jumping up and down exstatically accept that. With bells on!
Hmm, you know, without a Youtube video, it didn't happen. Yep, that might be a little too cruel from this little o' Imp here. Next time. devil.gif

Speaking of which :D ...

Now, I told it again to install all the CDs and check marked each selector for each disk. However, when I look at the directory they are not there. Neither are the paths reflected in the INI file. The CDs are still pointing towards the CD drive.
Well the fact is, you are just not looking in the right directory ...

As you notice if you look in to the original CD(2-6)'s content there are 2 directories, "movies" and the "data", now if you go an look at your game directory, those can also be found in there... the .bif files are where the data is stored. Looking it back with this information, all the data is where the HD0 patch directs toward. So if you actually copy the CD's data and point them to the CD patchs ... you are actually just wasting space, as the data is already there in the game.

Now then... when you are installing the Widescreen mod to your BG1 game, you should also know that the widescreen mod isn't fully integrated to the game... it was developed to the BG2 in mind, so the end result will have holes in the GUI.. meaning that it looks like this:

BaldersGate-WidescreenMod-1280x720.jpg

So it has a black hole in ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ here, and other places when you make it larger.

That can be made better by installing a BG1 GUI mod, there's only one, it needs to be installed on top of a Widescreen modded game and only on a set resolutions.

And yes, the BG1 GUI mod is a "beta", but only because it's not fully realized(aka it doesn't have 1650x1080 & 1920x1200 because there's no artist to do that, and because it's actually a part of a Polish BG1 mod ).

Hey, thanks you little creature with horns. Sooo, I'm not the best with doing a Google search. Shoot me.

You were mistaken on one point though. I have a X-Fi Titanium sound card with 5.1, never installed. My gamer board (RampageIV Extreme) had such good sound quality out of the box I never even unpacked my Sound Blaster, I left it in the Amazon box. The nice thing with the on-board Realtek is that I have additional speaker plugs I can make use of. I piped two speakers from my computer to the privy room just for the fun of it. Yeah, I've got a Pioneer Elite stereo system in the living room, but I do most of my listening to tunes on my computer. I've got a separate WD external drive to hold all my burned albums. And of course, I burnt them all at the highest setting from store bought media. All-in-all, some 25 years of buying CDs. I also burnt those of my vinyl albums that were never released to CDs. I've got slightly over 30 gigabytes worth.

Thanks, again, for explaining the point about the CDs. It makes me wonder if on that old install I didn't manually copy the CDs over to that directory.

Moving on... Don't ask, but this time Bigg's mod "took." Nothing changed versus the other installs, they were all the same, but this time the wide-screen mod took. I'm going to go back and set it up for a lower than 1920 res though. A month ago I'd have been fine with that. I just installed my third monitor on one of those brackets and it moved everything back about half a foot making the game too small to look at. And heck, I can live with the screen shot like you showed. Trying it on my install the interior shots, like upstairs in Candlekeep Inn, is a little disconcerting. I'll figure something out.

I sure wish there was some way to play VBG1 with the BG1:EE engine. Heck they used all the hard work of folks in the community. Now how about reciprocating, seeing as they didn't pay for the mods or the source code. I had hoped when EE came out that it would have included a good-sized portion of the adventuring modifications. But, however, that is just my opinion and does not reflect the thoughts of the community-at-large. Yeah, I know, a pipe dream.

Now to pop over to my site and document my, errh, your findings. As soon as I get it set up, I'll pass along a link for you to verify if you are so willing to aid in the documentation. Consider it my giving back to the community. I get some PayPal funds freed up I'll pass along another small donation-to-the-cause. Speaking of which, I sent a PM to one of the listed three head honchos requesting my screen name being changed to Boradordin with no reply. Can you kindly pass along something to that effect for me please?

Hey, thanks you little creature with horns. Sooo, I'm not the best with doing a Google search. Shoot me.
Näh, I'll just request your soul for as a payment for the help and that's about it. Yep, got 6 already.

You were mistaken on one point though. I have a X-Fi Titanium sound card with 5.1, never installed. My gamer board (RampageIV Extreme) had such good sound quality out of the box I never even unpacked my Sound Blaster, I left it in the Amazon box.
Yeah, I think the todays sound cards are more of an additional processors to editing sound files, not meant to actually to listening any one record.

Yeah, I've got a Pioneer Elite stereo system in the living room, but I do most of my listening to tunes on my computer.
I congratulate you on a good choice, I have my Pioneer set next to my computer, playing my the Winamp as I listen to music playlist while I play games. Well, unless I really need to know what the characters says in the game.

I've got slightly over 30 gigabytes worth.
Well, I have my MP3 stats at 46,8 Gb's currently. :devil:

BG1:EE engine. Heck they used all the hard work of folks in the community. Now how about reciprocating, seeing as they didn't pay for the mods or the source code. I had hoped when EE came out that it would have included a good-sized portion of the adventuring modifications.
Well, they did hire a few of the higher up in the moding food chain guys to work on the BGII:EE ... we just have to hope the legal hassle going goes well.

Speaking of which, I sent a PM to one of the listed three head honchos requesting my screen name being changed to Boradordin with no reply. Can you kindly pass along something to that effect for me please?
Hmm, I was thinking, it might be that the Admin in question is not here just no... so you might wish to not post the same PM to the others, but what you should do is to add them to the same conversation, you do this in the Personal Messager -> the message in question -> And when that opens, there's a spot in the left parcel/column that allows you do this via the "add" button:

n4fr.png

It opens up a selection etc. you should soon figure it out easily.

Jarno,

Would you please be so kind as to pop over to my site and review an article i wrote regarding my trials and tribulations in getting the game up and running. I would appreciate your review and any suggestions you might offer to make the posting more complete for others.

Archived