Current Version

velehal

I´ve downloaded IR and it shows that it is version 3.1. But Readme says that it is version 3 (in fact 2 but version history states tha the lastest version is 3). So is it the long expected new version with Revised Critical Hits or not? If so I don´t probably need to apply Hotfixes. Or is it still Version 3? Thank you for an answer.

The currently available version via official link is still V2 :( while the version you have downloaded following my link is almost surely v3.1 (the readme might says v3 simply because v3.1 was just a relatively small update). Installing hotfixes ensures you have the most up to date version of IR.

That being said, afaik Arda has finished his job 1-2 days ago (he still had to slightly re-code Revised Criticals to also give armored helmets a +1 AC in exchange for the lost crit imm but other than that he said he did everything), thus we only need to write down a decent readme (Revisions readme files have always been quite in depth) and upload the mod.

Going slightly off topic here, but maybe it's worth saying. Some time ago, I tried the Revised Criticals myself (hand-edit via NI every helmet. One day I'm gonna learn Weidu.) since I was unsure if the idea has merit.

As it turns out (this is based on a single BG1 run, with very little BG2 involved), at levels 1-2-3 this is probably favoring AI much more, since if they manage to somehow connect 2 criticals in a round, they have a decent chance of killing the tank, which is highly improbable without this tweak.

Any level above 3rd, scales somehow seem to tip per player party's advantage. I didn't implement the +1 AC, but I don't think it would give any different results.

Revised Criticals

Going slightly off topic here, but maybe it's worth saying. Some time ago, I tried the Revised Criticals myself (hand-edit via NI every helmet. One day I'm gonna learn Weidu.) since I was unsure if the idea has merit.

As it turns out (this is based on a single BG1 run, with very little BG2 involved), at levels 1-2-3 this is probably favoring AI much more, since if they manage to somehow connect 2 criticals in a round, they have a decent chance of killing the tank, which is highly improbable without this tweak.

Any level above 3rd, scales somehow seem to tip per player party's advantage. I didn't implement the +1 AC, but I don't think it would give any different results.

The tweak actually isn't aimed to favor anyone, but to simply make critical hits play a real role in the combat mechanics. I hope it doesn't shift balance toward one side much, but if it slightly favors the AI I'm really fine with it. I really cannot tell it without extensive playtest on all stages of the game.

Considering the entire party is immune to critical hits without the tweak, I guess it is obvious that this change makes party members more vulnerable (e.g. even a weak opponent can now hope to at least score a critical against party's tank and later on AI enemies can now use Critical Strike HLA with devastating effects), but at the same time the tweak is fair, and thus party members can take advantage of it too (e.g. those with low thac0 can hope to hit bosses). What I like about this tweak is the variables it opens up, because it allows more options for items, classes or abilities (not only increased chance to score critical hits, but also a valuable rare protection against it), and that it makes critical hits something players have to really take into account.

Revised Criticals

What I like about this tweak is the variables it opens up, because it allows more options for items, classes or abilities (not only increased chance to score them, but also a valuable rare protection against it), and that it makes critical hits something players have to really take into account.

+ 1

Archived