Subterranea- a 3D, turn-based cRPG using OGL (~D&D 3.5e rules)

daveyd

There's a RPG in development called Subterranea that is sort of a modern take on the Gold Box games. Note: the gameplay footage in the video is pre-alpha and the main reason the dev is running a Kickstarter is to improve the animations and graphics.

Kickstarter campaign:

Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230462188

Here's some of the proposed features:

• Create a party of up-to 6 adventurers.
  • Adventure in towns, swamps and abandoned temples.
  • Turn-based, tactical combat, where mastering cover, elevation and spacing is the key to success. Including attacks of opportunities, 5 foot steps, bull rushes and a host of other tactical combat options.
  • Physics-based puzzles and traps.
  • Interact with the environment (ex: blast a rope bridge with a spell to drop enemies into the chasm below as seen in the video)
  • 7 Player Character races – Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Halfling, Half-Orc and Human.
  • 11 Player Character classes – Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer and Wizard.
  • Available on Windows, Mac and Linux.

I'm backing this game because (1) it's a tactical turn-based party cRPG based on a good ruleset, (2) the physics effects / environmental interaction look really choice, (3) there will be multiple choice branching dialogues with ample opportunities to use bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, etc. skills, and (4) it's a create your own party RPG, which is so rare these days. While I certainly like RPGs with companions and personalities as in NWN2, there's something so fun about being able to create your ultimate party that I miss in most modern RPGs.

Sadly the game isn't getting enough KS backers, but I figure there may be a few people here who find this game interesting. At least the Steam Greenlight seems to be going well.

Looks interesting! I might just back it as well...3.5 has always been my second favorite rule set (after pathfinder).

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't played PnP in many years, but I really like what I've seen of the 3.5 ruleset in NWN2 and ToEE. And from what I've seen in a character creation video on Subterranea's website, the developer is even implmenting some of skills that didn't make it into either of those games (Climbing, Escape Artist, Jumping, Gather Information, etc.).

Looks interesting! I might just back it as well...3.5 has always been my second favorite rule set (after pathfinder).

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't played PnP in many years, but I really like what I've seen of the 3.5 ruleset in NWN2 and ToEE. And from what I've seen in a character creation video on Subterranea's website, the developer is even implmenting some of skills that didn't make it into either of those games (Climbing, Escape Artist, Jumping, Gather Information, etc.).

Man, it looks like this isn't going to make it--halfway to the deadline and only about 1/6 to the goal...

Archived