BG 2 EE or not.

cshh69

In one-two years, BG:EE will be better than the 1998 edition.

Then it should be bought in one-two years. Paying for a game which is so bugged isn't something one can reccomend. Let the people there fix it properly (I don't know why it's taking ages anyway, this kind of amateurism isn't acceptable in the fast-developing gaming business) then buy it if you like.

In one-two years, BG:EE will be better than the 1998 edition.

Then it should be bought in one-two years. Paying for a game which is so bugged isn't something one can reccomend. Let the people there fix it properly (I don't know why it's taking ages anyway, this kind of amateurism isn't acceptable in the fast-developing gaming business) then buy it if you like.

Yeah... and Bethesda Softworks name means nothing ? Or say Ubisoft... or Gearbox:

TES4: Oblivion, TES5, Fallout 3. Bugs, bugs, bugs... or the lack of effort in trying.

Watchdog; here the issue is with the optimizations the player is not allowed to actually do, you have to download a mod on PC to do it, and the consoles can't, all the while the game is far from the Console performance maximums.

Aliens: Colonial Marines.. do I even need to say a thing ? All pre-sales, just not delivered goods.

What do you mean?

It's not really comparable I'm afraid. Example - Fallout 3 has very little in common with Fallout 2. The setting is post-nuclear, you have some references to F2, but the game is completely reworked - it's in FirstPerspective, never mind the other things.

EE offers an improved engine with zoom feature, which is both useless and ugly, nevermind the annoying bug when it flaps out during cutscenes. 15 years has the original game been out in the playground. .

It's not like they're re-building the thing from scratch in 3D, with a re-written story, re-worked combat system etc.

Sigh. I do miss the times when you went to a game shop, cashed your hard-earned savings, and went home with a 1.44 floppy disc, put in in disk drive (mine was B:), and prayed computer would read off it. There was no "patches", no "downloadable additional content", or "gamebreaking bugs". THAT was pro work. The standards have lowered a lot it seems, especially in the last few years.

P.S.

Don't take all this as a "bad review" of EE. I bought it (1&2), despite the fact it's (imo) a rather pale outcome of what it could have been.

I still prefer the original for many reasons, most importantly the seamless transition and a rather rounded game experience with BGTrilogy, and mod customization ofc. (To my great disbelief, even arrows are different in EE(1) and EE(2).)

If one doesn't care about such stuff, or has never played BG et all; what the hell, buy EE - it can only get better actually.

And it does work much faster than the original, even on my very old gaming laptop, which is a huge deal.

I do hope that bugs will be fixed and game will be improved, and one day I'll play a dwarf kensai who will have a romantic interest in Dorn. :p

At the moment, the Enchanced Editions do have more bugs than the original, patched games. HOWEVER, the folks at Beamdog aren't exactly sitting pat and letting the game go on that way. Patch 1.3 for the original is coming any time now, which should fix up most of the problems with that game and provide a handy start to fixing the bugs in the sequel. While the games aren't perfect and have flaws right now, I truly believe that the team working on it is committed to making them the best versions of BG possible (especially with the move to Android and tablet) and given time I think they'll achieve their goal.

Archived