Ray-like Projectiles in EE

Skye

Is it possible to create ray-like projectiles similar to scorchers? I remember reading that all kinds of shapes were now possible, but after perusing the game files in BG:EE, I couldn't find any projectiles that would help me with this. It seems both the fire and ice scorcher are still hardcoded, but I did notice the new "ray count" field in the area extension head in DLTCEP, although that doesn't really tell me anything.

Alternatively, is it possible to create a projectile that damages everything along its path, kinda like lightning bolt except it stops at its target?

Projectiles have always been the bane of my existence when designing new spells, readily throwing wrenches into my creative process. :dry:

Alas, I have neither of those games available at this time, but I guess I could ask a mate to send me the files.

Hopefully, those will shed some light on the matter, although I was rather hoping someone might offer more concrete assistance. :)

Indeed, I have tried using the "Line AoE" flag in the extended flags introduced in GemRB and BG2/IWD:EE as SCORCHER.PRO does, but it didn't do anything.

It seems unlikely that BG:EE will get a patch that enables the new capabilities, so I suppose the answer to my questions is "no".

That's rather unfortunate news for my plans, but I guess I'll skip ray spells for now and improve upon things in SoDs and BG2.

Foiled by projectiles yet again....

Oh? That would be nice. I just figured since it wasn't patched in the last update, it didn't have much chance for the next one.

I'll put it on the TODO list then and expand the mod if and when the features are implemented.

Gonna necro this thread since things have obviously changed since v2.x came out.

BG:EE now also has line AoE projectiles, so I decided to delve into it a bit and I came to the realization that Scorcher is still as confusing as ever. I figured this update would have made things clear and simple, but I was wrong. Why does Aganazzar's Scorcher hit twice? How is the duration of the effect defined? Does the duration of the effect determine how many times an effect will trigger (i.e. 1/round)? Or is part of the spell still hardcoded? And where's that high-pitched sound coming from (I've always wondered that)? Feels like I'm missing a VVC from the equation but there's no reference to one.

I haven't tried making my own line projectiles yet, but I didn't feel like I was ready to start until I understand the basics at least. Any insight?

Ray Projectiles:

Offset:0x8 - Single Target(2)

Offset:0xa - Speed(#)

- For Ray Projectiles, which hit instantly, speed affects how many times the projectile image appears between you and the target, increase/decrease if it appears to have gaps or is too tightly packed.

Offset:0x2c - Extended Flags

- Bit 14 - Lined up AoE (Ray Projectile)

- Bit 29 - Limited Path Count (Hit only once, as opposed to Aganazzars delayed extra hit)

There is also an extra feature for scorcher projectiles. They can affect the target and the bystanders standing in the projectile's path differently. The discerning bits are 1024 or 2048 in the saving throw field.

This is in IWDEE. BGEE didn't have this distinction originally, so it isn't implemented (but could be ported).

I figured there had to be something left which was hardcoded. Good to know I'm not going crazy. :D

I played around a bit with ray projectiles and I got it working well enough for my needs. Thanks for the extra tips though, it'll definitely help in the future.

By the way, Avenger, I noticed in an older thread with the extended PRO file spec that one of the flags was intended to be for touch projectiles. Is that still on the to-do list or was the idea abandoned? I tried flipping the flag to see if it might have been implemented at some point, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Being able to make proper touch spells would be huge.

Archived