Tormentor's BG2 bug thread

tormentor

ok, dialogs should be fine now. I shouldn't have said "for good". :devlook:

going invisible makes you skip a lot of xp. Interesting choice.

That log is pretty useless. Was it really a crash or an assert? But I did just fix a new crash that should be the same. :)

oh and sanctuary doesn't persist after rest, only the overlay does. Different kind of bug. You can see it with several hardcoded overlays - just save and load and it'll be gone.

SE: that's so much clicking. We have ctrl+shift+y for unadultered violence :king:

That log is pretty useless. Was it really a crash or an assert? But I did just fix a new crash that should be the same. :)

It said "segmentation fault", so it was a crash. What I pasted there was the last error I got.

I was not aware of these cheat keys, but that's obviously easier. I guess I like playing druids in general, and just being invisible is pretty practical. XP doesn't matter when you're only doing it for testing ;)

Edit: Dialogues appear fixed now.

Travel crash fixed.

gemrb closes the inn stuff completely

I could be wrong but i think we do that on purpose because typical use is to rest only once. we dont always do things "per vanilla". this is especially true if something varies between multiple games; it just overcomplicates the code for little to no gain. i dont know if this falls in that group, but I like that it closes completely so its really more of opinion i guess then a bug.

we exit the gui so dream cutscenes and dialog can run without locking everything up. We detect at least the first, but I'd have to check if the exit is nonconditional.

as for the guards, they are spawned (this is scripted, not our code), but sometimes far away. I don't know if the original had blind spots too.

the resting movie probably depends on area type. Did you compare your expectation with the original?

Yeah, I rested in the promenade and the slums in Gemrb and the original. Vanilla BG2 shows the tent cutscene while GemRB shows the inn one. And there really seems to be an issue with the guards. I assume vanilla spawns them right at the start of the rest so they have a good chance of catching the player. Perhaps a timing issue.

I understand the need to support multiple games and the complications of that. You could however use some form of ifdef to keep code apart of needed.

The original games also usually do things a certain way for a reason, and players have gotten used to that. The originals probably got a heck of a lot more playtesting than GemRB.

I checked - we only close if there's a cutscene to be had. Good enough and usually a usability gain like it was mentioned.

for the resting movie, I can't find the right filename, even when ignoring the general pattern of rest*.mve. Quite odd.

Archived