Refinements EE

Hey I'm having a new playthrough with this mod installed.

A few comments regarding balance of new HLAs.

1) Divine Intervention: the effect seems too random and encourage save/load spam, it would be nice if we can make it function like Wish spell.

2) Righteous Might: this new HLA for paladin is a subversion of the cleric spell because the maximum damage only last 12 seconds. Imo it's underwelming because it's a HLA but worse than a lvl 5 spell.

3) Holy Aura: this is just permanent Protection From Evil, 10' Radius that cannot be dispelled, which is ...meh.

4) Bonus Magic Spells: this seems to be redunctant because mages can already pick the extra 6th, 7th, 8th spell HLA.

5) Elemental Summoning: water elements have extremely slow movement speed, which makes them unusable imo.

6) Toughness: 6 hp per selection is...too little, I'd say 10 hp is more noticable boost.

Edited by dunehunter
2 hours ago, dunehunter said:

Hey I'm having a new playthrough with this mod installed.

A few comments regarding balance of new HLAs.

1) Divine Intervention: the effect seems too random and encourage save/load spam, it would be nice if we can make it function like Wish spell.

2) Righteous Might: this new HLA for paladin is a subversion of the cleric spell because the maximum damage only last 12 seconds. Imo it's underwelming because it's a HLA but worse than a lvl 5 spell.

3) Holy Aura: this is just permanent Protection From Evil, 10' Radius that cannot be dispelled, which is ...meh.

4) Bonus Magic Spells: this seems to be redunctant because mages can already pick the extra 6th, 7th, 8th spell HLA.

5) Elemental Summoning: water elements have extremely slow movement speed, which makes them unusable imo.

6) Toughness: 6 hp per selection is...too little, I'd say 10 hp is more noticable boost.

1) Isn't it mostly dependant on your alignment? From what I've experienced (I've never taken a look at the code) if your alignment is good, the divine intervention seems to always work, while it failed if you were evil.

6) I agree wholeheartedly. I would go as far as telling that there should be two versions, one for "fighters", one for "barbarian" only.
Why? Because in that case you could make a case to take them for barbarian. What's better for a barbarian, +5% resistance to damage or +6 hp? I know what I would take.For barbarian it should be 20 hp, at least.

1 hour ago, Morgoth said:

1) Isn't it mostly dependant on your alignment? From what I've experienced (I've never taken a look at the code) if your alignment is good, the divine intervention seems to always work, while it failed if you were evil.

6) I agree wholeheartedly. I would go as far as telling that there should be two versions, one for "fighters", one for "barbarian" only.
Why? Because in that case you could make a case to take them for barbarian. What's better for a barbarian, +5% resistance to damage or +6 hp? I know what I would take.For barbarian it should be 20 hp, at least.

My lawful good Anomen failed to intervention sometimes.

That's intended though. 😛 It should work most of the times, but not all the times. If you wish to be frustrated, do it with an evil cleric. To be sincere, I would have liked if someone explained me how the HLA worked and if it was by chance only (because the alignment thing could be just my feeling, not reality).

Wildmage's Wildstrike is overpowered as there's no way to protect from it, Spell Trap, Spell Immune: Conj doesn't work. So you can just lock down enemy caster bosses with this and they can do nothing about it. Test with the Tactics mod's Lich in Dock, which you cannot interrupt it's spell because it's scripted to cast through scrolls, but with wild strike this fight becomes a joke and the lich is just wild surge to death.

Beastmaster's Animal Affinity is an extremely weak HLA, also considering how weak BM is...this is mostly like a meme.

Blackguard's getting Holy Aura and Shield of Law is very weird as it is neither Holy nor Lawful class.

Edited by dunehunter

Hi,

I've noticed that without an XP uncapper, the triple-classes get access to several level 9 mage HLAs they can never use. I don't think this is intended behaviour, although it might be a compromise.

Great mod! Thank you.

ed: FMCs can only select one pip of Combat Prayers, not two, but the description does not state this. This is intended, though, per the code. In languages/english/setup.tra, I changed the Combat Prayers description as follows:

@510 = ~Combat Prayers~
@511 = ~Combat Prayers
Fighter-Clerics are well versed in defending their beliefs. The devotion to their gods united with the aptitude to fight when necessary allows them to more efficiently address their gods in a combat situation, increasing the speed at which they can cast clerical spells.
This ability can be picked two times, each time lowering the casting time of spells by 1 point, but only once by a fighter-mage-cleric.~

ed2: The HLAs also work if the SCS innate ability HLAs component is installed.

Edited by raindare

So I was fooling around with the Sword Saint kit component out of simple curiosity. It seems it only installs in BG2 and EET, so I added BG1 and IWD to the allowed games, for the sake of permitting an non-EET trilogy run. Thing is that it touches on a few items that might not be outside of BG2, so I changed the relevant code to check for the games, from the line"// Changes to Wong Fei's Ioun Stone:" to "Patches for Item Upgrade */":

Spoiler

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ THEN BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~helm34.itm~ ~override~
  READ_BYTE     0x29 current1
  WRITE_BYTE 0x29 (current1 BAND 0b11101111)  //usable!
  READ_BYTE     0x2b current2
  WRITE_BYTE 0x2b (current2 BAND 0b10111111)  //usable!
  READ_BYTE     0x2d current3
  WRITE_BYTE 0x2d (current3 BAND 0b11111011)  //usable!
  READ_BYTE     0x2f current4
  WRITE_BYTE 0x2f ((current4 BAND 0b11010111) BOR 0b00000011)  //usable!
  SAY DESC @1070
END

COPY_EXISTING ~brac21.itm~ ~override~
              ~helm34.itm~ ~override~
  READ_BYTE     0x2b current
  WRITE_BYTE 0x2b (current BAND 0b10111111)  //usable!
END

COPY_EXISTING ~brac06.itm~ ~override~
              ~POTN03.itm~ ~override~
              ~POTN04.itm~ ~override~
              ~POTN05.itm~ ~override~
              ~POTN06.itm~ ~override~
              ~POTN07.itm~ ~override~
              ~POTN12.itm~ ~override~
  WRITE_BYTE 0x2b (current BOR 0b01000000)

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg1ee bg2ee eet~ THEN BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~belt06.itm~ ~override~
              ~belt07.itm~ ~override~
END

COPY_EXISTING ~belt08.itm~ ~override~
              ~belt11.itm~ ~override~
              ~hamm09.itm~ ~override~
/*
May include Mauler and lesser version of Angurvadal.
Poisoned and ~vile~ weapons follow:
*/
              ~SW1H61.itm~ ~override~
              ~SPER10.itm~ ~override~
              ~miscbc.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW1H35.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW1H38.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW1H59.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW1H63.itm~ ~override~
              ~DAGG20.itm~ ~override~
              ~HALB11.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW2H15.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW2H17.itm~ ~override~
              ~SW2H18.itm~ ~override~
              ~STAF23.itm~ ~override~
              ~AX1H13.itm~ ~override~
              ~AX1H15.itm~ ~override~
              ~DAGG16.itm~ ~override~
              ~MISC75.itm~ ~override~
              ~BLUN17.itm~ ~override~
              ~BLUN18.itm~ ~override~
              ~BLUN22.itm~ ~override~
              ~BLUN24.itm~ ~override~
/* Shadow Dragon Scale */
              ~LEAT19.itm~ ~override~
END

Then there's line 267 which mentions "// Fallen status triggered by intentional Slayer Change.// Better having Ascension already present!" Ascension is only for BG2 so I wrap it in a simple "ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ THEN BEGIN" check.

Won't say it's efficient or elegant, but it seems to work.

5 hours ago, Morgoth said:

by the way, can I edit the files so the thief doesn't lose Use any item? Hopefully adding // somewhere would be enough. 

For that case, I recommend installing Rogue Rebalancing thief HLAs, and when installing Refinements, choose “install by class” and install every class except thieves. This way you keep UAI. 

2 hours ago, Connelly said:

So I was fooling around with the Sword Saint kit

If you have access to Github feel free to make a pull request, rather than trying to communicate the exact changes. I trust your judgment ;) The Sword Saint is not something I ever looked at, as my only goal has been to make the HLAs work on EE games and work better with Rogue Rebalancing (see above). So I have never looked at the kit’s code (or any other components) and I have no idea how to change thing without breaking things. 

Having an issue with my current GOOD ranger/cleric.

The HLA table seems botched; There is no divine intervention (good), nor enlightement HLA (prerequisite for divine intervention)

I have only divine intervention (evil). 

I've got (correctly) summon deva evil and summon deva good and can only get the good version.

9 hours ago, Morgoth said:

Having an issue with my current GOOD ranger/cleric.

The HLA table seems botched; There is no divine intervention (good), nor enlightement HLA (prerequisite for divine intervention)

I have only divine intervention (evil). 

I've got (correctly) summon deva evil and summon deva good and can only get the good version.

Can you upload the 2da file? Look at LUABBR.2da, find ranger/cleric, then grab that file (with “LU” at the beginning) from /override.

EDIT - sorry, read your other post. I guess you are dual-classed, so a kitless cleric? In which case find the basic cleric table in LUABBR.2da.
EDIT 2 - my table with Refinements installed is LUD5_3.2da and it looks like this:

Spoiler

ABILITY            ICON               STRREF             MIN_LEV            MAX_LEVEL          NUM_ALLOWED        PREREQUISITE       EXCLUDED_BY        ALIGNMENT_RESTRICT
2                  GA_SPPR722         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
4                  GA_SPPR725         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
5                  GA_SPPR726         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_SPPR727         ALL_EVIL
6                  GA_SPPR727         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_SPPR726         ALL_GOOD
7                  GA_SPPR728         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
9                  GA_SPPR730         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#ELSU         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#DIVN         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#RECI         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  AP_TG#ENLI         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#DSTR         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_SPPR729         ALL_GOOD
1                  GA_SPPR729         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_TG#DSTR         ALL_EVIL
1                  GA_TG#DIVI         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  AP_TG#ENLI         GA_TG#DIVE         ALL_EVIL
1                  GA_TG#DIVE         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  AP_TG#ENLI         GA_TG#DIVI         ALL_GOOD

Edited by subtledoctor
2DA                V1.0
                   ABILITY            ICON               STRREF             MIN_LEV            MAX_LEVEL          NUM_ALLOWED        PREREQUISITE       EXCLUDED_BY        ALIGNMENT_RESTRICT
2                  GA_SPPR722         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
4                  GA_SPPR725         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
5                  GA_SPPR726         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_SPPR727         ALL_EVIL
6                  GA_SPPR727         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_SPPR726         ALL_GOOD
7                  GA_SPPR728         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
9                  GA_SPPR730         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#ELSU         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#DIVN         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#RECI         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  AP_TG#ENLI         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  *                  *
1                  GA_TG#DSTR         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_SPPR729         ALL_GOOD
1                  GA_SPPR729         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  *                  GA_TG#DSTR         ALL_EVIL
1                  GA_TG#DIVI         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  AP_TG#ENLI         GA_TG#DIVE         ALL_EVIL
1                  GA_TG#DIVE         *                  *                  1                  99                 1                  AP_TG#ENLI         GA_TG#DIVI         ALL_GOOD
10                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
11                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
12                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
13                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
14                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
15                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
16                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
17                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
18                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
19                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
20                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
21                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
22                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
23                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *
24                 *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *

if I'm not seeing wrong it matches. So what is the issue? 

And by the way, how were you able to copy it perfectly?

Edited by Morgoth