Is Weimer item upgrade mod compatible with eet

maxt9572

In my install it crashes when i ask Cromwell for upgrade

If you installed the mod using any language other than English than all strings that comes from this mod will crash the game - it's no compatible even with vanilla BG2:EE. And fixing language support is just a small part of the work needed considering the mod uses vanilla engine item description formatting rather than BG:EE style (and I don't mean just "Usable by" section) which makes items added by this mod to stick out.

@K4thos Can you tell me what exactly is incompatible with BG2EE/EET? I'd like to try making this mod compatible.

From what I've seen the item descriptions contain item name on top and usability information at the bottom which should both be removed. The item description format is slightly different, but shouldn't really stick out otherwise. WeiDU's HANDLE_CHARSET should take care of the character encoding. Is there more to fix?

@K4thos Can you tell me what exactly is incompatible with BG2EE/EET? I'd like to try making this mod compatible.

From what I've seen the item descriptions contain item name on top and usability information at the bottom which should both be removed. The item description format is slightly different, but shouldn't really stick out otherwise. WeiDU's HANDLE_CHARSET should take care of the character encoding. Is there more to fix?

I wouldn't call item descriptions style between vanilla and EE games a slight difference. Updating item mods takes several hours to do it right. And than the same should be done for other languages. A work so boring that I never bothered to finish it for DSotSC uploaded on my Github (that's why it's still in beta rather than a full release) and I don't think I will ever find motivation to update them myself (help would be really appreciated here).

But to my surprise it looks like Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v40 already has descriptions somewhat updated (setup_ee.tra). While there are tons mistakes in the style used in those files (armors only shows general AC, Combat Abilities are often listed in wrong place, "Special" section that shouldn't be there at all etc.) at least someone started the work on it and these new descriptions already have "Usable by" sections removed, so won't look awkward when viewed in the game.

In this case it's a matter of using HANDLE_CHARSET on all TRA files and LOAD_TRA setup_ee.tra when ENGINE_IS ~bg2ee~, so 5 minutes of work at best to make the mod usable (even though far more work would be still needed to make the mod blend nicely with vanilla EE description style).

edit: example of description style differences between vanilla style (which is often all over the place since there are differences between BG1, BG2 and ToB descriptions, so it's generally accepted that modders uses whatever style they want):

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 6

Saving Throws: +1 bonus

Special: 25% Resist Electricity

Weight: 6

Requires: 4 Strength

Only Usable By:

Druid

Above description updated to EE style:

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:

– Saving Throws: +1

– Electricity Resistance: +25%

Armor Class: 6 (8 vs. piercing and missile)

Requires:

4 Strength

Weight: 6

Without this change the item would scream "mod added content" even if you remove the "Only Usable By" section because every single item in BG:EE, BG2:EE and IWD:EE has been updated by Beamdog to follow one unified description template.

edit2: or maybe I'm just pedantic and people don't really care about item descriptions :pout:

I don't plan to make it perfect. Just a few patch files for the BWS Fixpack to make it work in BG2EE and EET for all languages would be enough. The item descriptions are following a certain pattern (in all languages), so an automated text formatting routine that is dynamically applied during installation for languages without EE-specific tra files should work well enough. I will make it so that updated EE-specific lines will be considered as well. That way individually updated EE-specific lines would not interfere with the patch.

The charset handling is required to make the mod work on EE games (except maybe for English). The formatting of the item descriptions is just cosmetic. Without it you would see two different usability lists for each item. There are other bits and pieces that can be improved, such as making NPC-specific items truly NPC-specific.

Archived