bg1re Bugthread

1 hour ago, jastey said:

@LeKisique This mod doesn't do anything different technical-wise than bgqe, NTotSC... I wouldn't know what would cause random freezes. I believe that they stpped for you, but I would be very surprised if it's this mod because I have no idea why this would be.

I noticed what game freeze very frequently when i talk and attempt to trade with shopkeeper in Nashel's Shop. Maybe this would help.

@LeKisique that is an interesting detail. bg1re does not add to or patch the Nahskel shopkeeper, his dialogue, or the shop file. I also installed the Russian version of bg1re (I assume you are using that) and it installs without text encoding errors (which are a frequent source of hanging and crashing games). I do not know what would cause this.

Thank you for taking the time to report, nevertheless. Unfortunately I wouldn't know what would cause this in your game.

19 hours ago, jastey said:

@LeKisique that is an interesting detail. bg1re does not add to or patch the Nahskel shopkeeper, his dialogue, or the shop file. I also installed the Russian version of bg1re (I assume you are using that) and it installs without text encoding errors (which are a frequent source of hanging and crashing games). I do not know what would cause this.

Thank you for taking the time to report, nevertheless. Unfortunately I wouldn't know what would cause this in your game.

Thank you for the care for my problem with game. Yes, i use russian version of the mod. I really don't know, why mod cause this freezes, but since then i uninstall mod i played over 5 hours and this freezes don't show up again, this indicates what something wrong with RE and other mods i used.

The books that you find from the Camryn and Tamah quest seem to be classified as scrolls, rather than books (at least after taking out the scrolls). This is rather weird, as the quest itself gives you a Book Bag very early into the game.

@Thels I checked and TIBOOK01.itm (which is the base for all the books after removing the letters) is tagged as "Books (37)" on my local version. I also know I tested it some 100 years ago and recall putting the books into the book bag. I will check this for the next update, though.

The Book Bag can hold both Books and Scrolls, so they fit in there as well. It's just a bit odd that they fit in a scroll case, at least they do so for me.

It doesn't look like any other mod affected it:

E:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>weidu --log nul --change-log tibook01.itm
[weidu] WeiDU version 24900

Mods affecting TIBOOK01.ITM:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~BG1RE/SETUP-BG1RE.TP2~ 0 42 // Camryn and Tamah, by tibicina9.0

I've attached the file, just in case you want to check and see if something's wrong with it. As I said, though, they still fit in the book bag, just for some reason they also fit in the scroll case, whereas other books do not. Maybe it was done on purpose, so you can copy them as notes?

TIBOOK01.itm

Which game are you on? I checked for BGT, and the scroll cases there also accept books, and History of Tethyr is tagged as a book.

In BG:SoD "History of Tethyr" is tagged as "Miscellaneous", and scroll cases also accept books (&scrolls).

So, the books in the mod seem to be fine, but why EE tagged some books as Miscellaneous I don't know.🤷‍♀️

I'm running BGEE+SoD 2.6.

Ah, that explains. It does make sense regarding scroll cases. A scroll case doesn't reasonably fit a book, let alone multiple books.

The Book Bag does correctly accept the History of Tethyr, though, despite it being tagged Misc.

So if it's intended that one can put these books in the scroll cases, then it's working as intended. Still feels a bit odd, though, especially since the quest specifically provides an item for books, which scroll cases can't accept (in EE at least).

I checked and in BG:SoD, all books I could see are tagged as "Miscellaneous". In BGT, they are tagged as "Book" which is the platform I developped the mod on.

I agree that it is inconsistent, but it's due to how the game uses the Book category. Books should be tagged as Books and scroll cases probably shouldn't accept them. I don't feel responsible for the mess, though. 😆

8 minutes ago, Thels said:

The Book Bag does correctly accept the History of Tethyr, though, despite it being tagged Misc.

I just checked and Bartleby's should only accept books&scrolls, too. Now the confusion is perfect. 😁

Okay, for clarification:

Bartleby's Letter Case accepts letters, and the Camryn & Tamah books, but not other books. There's one scroll from Shades of the Sword Coast that it won't accept, but I think that's on Lava's end.

The Book Bag that Camryn gives at the start of the game accepts letters, the Camryn & Tamah books, and all other books I've ran in so far, including that one scroll from SotSc.

I've checked using the Scroll Case from EE itself (the Firebead Elvenhair reward), and that seems to work identically to Bartleby's Letter Case, so the problem is not with Bartleby's.

I assume that if you make the books more like the EE books, they won't work with the Book Bag anymore?

12 minutes ago, Thels said:

The Book Bag that Camryn gives at the start of the game accepts letters, the Camryn & Tamah books, and all other books I've ran in so far, including that one scroll from SotSc.

Ah, then I allowed Miscellaneous for that one, because I wanted it to accept all books.

12 minutes ago, Thels said:

I assume that if you make the books more like the EE books, they won't work with the Book Bag anymore?

The book bag should accept all books always. (As well as all other Miscellaneous items..) But if I tagg the mod's books as Miscellaneous like the books in the game, they won't go into the scroll cases any more.

I admit that this is details I won't spend time on, though. As I said, how books are treated and the Book tagg in the game are inconsistent, there is no optimal solution. Also, I'd need to put in extra effort because it's different for EE and BGT.

30 minutes ago, jastey said:

But if I tagg the mod's books as Miscellaneous like the books in the game, they won't go into the scroll cases any more.

Which would be the intention, not? Books shouldn't be fitting inside scroll cases.

But I can understand that this is a minor detail not worth spending much time.