Spell/Item descriptions (DLTCEP v7.7)

I simply cant figure out how to change item or spell descriptions... I have the correct language (de_DE) + "use language" in "set WEIDU options", I did move the "dialog.tlk" and "dialogf.tlk" files directly into my BG2EE folder for editing (and back to "lang" folder again) but It just doesnt show up in game. Gameplay changes do work fine, its only the descriptions that never get updated - DLTCEP does show my edits under the "description" tab and it does mention that "dialog.tlk" does get overridden every time I edit my spells/items. I have a few spells that did get changed via mods (atweaks) like dimension door and gate which do have proper, updated spell descriptions, however doing any custom edits doesnt work. (Any spell/item altering mods were installed previously to my own editing attempts !)

Anything I might have missed ?

Edited by kartoffelgratin

What you are missing is that YOU REALLY DON*T WANT TO DO THIS IN dltcep... but make a weidu mod that does it.

You start with picking a mod name, make a directory for that mod, just like all the other weidu mods have, then you make copy any other weidu mods setup-modname.exe and save it as the setup-*directoryname*.exe, then you go into the directory and make a new text file and rename it as setup-*directoryname*.tp2 and save that, and click yes when it asks do you intend to change the file extension. Then you begin to modify the game yourself... aka this is a swamp so wide, deep and long that no one will know where it stops.

6 hours ago, Sam. said:

If it is SoD run modmerge (or similar) tool FIRST.  Try CLUAing in the items to a new game, not a saved game where you already had the items.

Thanks for the advice but I dont use SoD and I did always create a new game in order to check if any description did get changed =/.

6 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

What you are missing is that YOU REALLY DON*T WANT TO DO THIS IN dltcep... but make a weidu mod that does it.

You start with picking a mod name, make a directory for that mod, just like all the other weidu mods have, then you make copy any other weidu mods setup-modname.exe and save it as the setup-*directoryname*.exe, then you go into the directory and make a new text file and rename it as setup-*directoryname*.tp2 and save that, and click yes when it asks do you intend to change the file extension. Then you begin to modify the game yourself... aka this is a swamp so wide, deep and long that no one will know where it stops.

Thank you - I am going to try making use of weidu if its really the only way of accomplishing what I am trying to do. Its weird because I WAS able to change item descriptions BEFORE i cleaned up my game and installed weidu mods (SCS, atweaks, cdtweaks, ascension). Changing spell descriptio did never work though.

1 hour ago, kartoffelgratin said:

... but I dont use SoD and I did always create a new game in order to check if any description did get changed =/.

If you have the SoD installed in a BG1EE, you are using it. It's that simple, you need to use the modmerger. NO matter what. If you don't have SoD, that's a different thing...

What Sam said about starting a new game, also means that before modifying any of the game files, you need to have started a new game at least one time. The reason is that this creates a few files the mod tools require to work properly. They could work by default, unintentionally... but the default language in BG1EE for example is, if memory serves; German. But that's completely unintentional, as proper way to set up the game is not to rely on using Windows, but running the game is a compatible folder... compatible with what, you may ask, well on Windows 10, if you use the C drive, you need to install the game into the users own folders, which is here: C:\Users\<username>\<"games" sub folder>\BG2EE\ -for example.

Weidu moding is easy, if you just start by trying to learn what other small or more precisely TINY mods do, as their .tp2 file has few lines, and so you can copy paste most of it to use as your own.