SR V4 Beta 17

V4 Beta 17 is now available.  Thank you @Grammarsalad and @DavidW for your assistance.

The major feature of this release is improved compatibility with other spell mods and IWDEE. This release is not savegame-compatible with previous versions.

Most of the spells that SR adds or moves to a new level are now installed using ADD_SPELL, which means that they will be assigned filenames dynamically at install-time. Supplementary files supporting these spells have also been renamed, and references to these spells have been adjusted to match the filenames assigned at install-time. Since there are 50 such spells in SR, this is a large update. As a result, this release may be less stable than prior releases.

Modders who wish to see the IDS changes that SR makes to reflect its new spells, moved spells, and spell replacements can visit SPELL.IDS-Changes on the wiki.

View Release on GitHub

Download (Windows)

Download (OS X)

Download (Linux)

The full changelog for v4b17 is below.

Spoiler
  • Use ADD_SPELL for all new spells (thanks Grammarsalad)
  • Assign IDS aliases for all spell replacements (thanks DavidW and Grammarsalad)
  • Add scroll BAM for arcane Resist Elements (thanks Grammarsalad)
  • Make original version of Rigid Thinking available by adding Contagion as a separate spell (to simplify IWDEE compatibility)
  • Make original version of Protection from Petrification available by adding Expeditious Retreat as a separate spell (to silence complaints)
  • Update descriptions of Rigid Thinking and Protection from Petrification to match SR format
  • Fix Mass Regeneration stacking with itself
  • Avoid installing Cause Wounds spells on IWDEE due to AI issues
  • Prevent multiple copies of Protection from Lightning in IWDEE
  • Prevent multiple copies of Resist Elements in IWDEE
  • Fall back to English for any untranslated strings
  • Fix bug preventing rabbit familiar from disarming traps
  • Fix strrefs for familiar names on BGEE and IWDEE
  • Fix strrefs for Protection from Lightning spell effects on BGEE
  • Fix strrefs for summoned creatures on BGEE and IWDEE
  • Fix strrefs for Greater Malison spell effects on BGEE and IWDEE
  • Fix strref for Melf's Minute Meteor item on BGEE
  • Fix strrefs for Vampiric Touch spell effects on BGEE and IWDEE
  • Fix spellbook-updating code not being executed
  • Fix area of effect listed in Haste description
  • Fix Holy Smite's blindness duration
  • Fix inconsistency in summoned fiends' initial alignments
  • Fix number of skeletons summoned by Animate Dead at level 6
  • Make removing disabled spells part of the main component
  • Fix typos and formatting issues in descriptions

Hello, and thank you for this update (and for all the work in general on this mod 🙂).

I hope to try this new version soon, as soon as I can find the time to start a new BG2 game. ^^

Is there somewhere a readme / exhaustive list of all spells and their effects, updated to v4 beta 17 ? Currently I only know of this file https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-spell_rev_descriptions.html which is only for v3 and not updated to the newer version. Although the spell descriptions are accessible in-game, it would be very helpful to have a full and exhaustive list from the start, especially if you want to plan your spell picks ahead (ie. for a sorcerer). 🙂

Thanks again.

Edited by ThreeQuarters
6 minutes ago, Arthas said:

Hello,

1) Is this compatible with eet?

2) what about the splitted components deva fix , mirror image fix and so on?are they now part of the mod itself ?

1. Should be!
  2. Those remain separate components.  The component to hide disabled spells from appearing has been rolled into the main component, though.
1 hour ago, Arthas said:

Thank you.  Hopefully in the readme it is written what they are for.

It is.

Mirror Image Fix (may be used with or without the main component)
This .exe patch fixes mirror images so they no longer protect from AoE spells such as Fireball. As with the other .exe patches, this will probably only work if you are using the ToB v26498 patch for PCs.

Dispel Magic Fix (may be used with or without the main component)
This .exe patch fixes the chance to dispel magic to match the spell's description (so there is at least a marginal chance of dispelling effects of a higher-level mage) and corrects conceptual problems caused by the automatic dispelling of all magically created items. More info about its outrageous old behaviour can be found here.

To update this a little... the components originally included .exe patches to allow these changes, but that half of it is now handled by installing ToBEx or using the Enhanced Editions.  The components just include patches to resources to take advantage of the changed engine features.  I can't speak to how or whether the Enhanced Editions attempted to fix any of these issues.  @kreso might know more.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:31 PM, ThreeQuarters said:

Hello, and thank you for this update (and for all the work in general on this mod 🙂).

I hope to try this new version soon, as soon as I can find the time to start a new BG2 game. ^^

Is there somewhere a readme / exhaustive list of all spells and their effects, updated to v4 beta 17 ? Currently I only know of this file https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-spell_rev_descriptions.html which is only for v3 and not updated to the newer version. Although the spell descriptions are accessible in-game, it would be very helpful to have a full and exhaustive list from the start, especially if you want to plan your spell picks ahead (ie. for a sorcerer). 🙂

Thanks again.

http://gibberlings3.github.io/SpellRevisions/ 😉

10 hours ago, Mike1072 said:

It is.

To update this a little... the components originally included .exe patches to allow these changes, but that half of it is now handled by installing ToBEx or using the Enhanced Editions.  The components just include patches to resources to take advantage of the changed engine features.  I can't speak to how or whether the Enhanced Editions attempted to fix any of these issues.  @kreso might know more.

I'm fairly sure those components should not be installed on the EE games.  Not 100% though. 

(The Dispel Magic Fix actually caused problems for me when I installed it on IWDEE a couple years ago.  For whatever reason it caused trolls to become unkillable.)

6 hours ago, Arthas said:

2) would it be possible to add an optional component to triple the duration of spells?

You might be able to use our Low Magic World to do something like that.  It has a component designed to reduce the duration of spells, but you can edit the settings.ini file and nothing is stopping you from making it increase the durations instead.

(There is a slight issue, the code doesn't distinguish between player-castable spells and monster/innate/system spells.  So there is the occasional blip where something in the game goes longer or shorter than it should.  I haven't got around to implementing limits on which spells are affected...)

7 hours ago, Arthas said:

1) ...

E.g gate spell, lv. 9. Inside the description it is made a reference to demons turning on their casters, but after reading the mechanics description there is no reference to gate demon actually turning on you.

Also the spell seem to imply you don't need to cast protection from evil to avoid getting attacked. Is that true?

2) would it be possible to add an optional component to triple the duration of spells?

3) does spell revision makes potions undispellable?

1. True.  Protection from Evil no longer has a specific demon-repelling ability.
  2. The chance of this being added to SR is extremely low.
  3. No, but IR does.

Wow amazing, this mod still getting some love.

I'll have to test it with my mod but it should be ok. I also made some tweaks to SR, not sure if they're still gonna work, or maybe you included it since then? They were making Planetar vorpal hit bonus damage instead of insta-kill, putting back Gate scrolls into the game (SR removes them for some reason), and fixing the glitched Energy Blades and Dragon's Breath casting animation.

Quite by accident I came upon this.  I'll blow right by my feelings about people who report bugs in mods, but don't report them to the people actually maintaining those mods (they involve expletives), and get to the operative bit:

"ERROR: error loading [spell_rev\sppr1##\sppr121i.eff]

ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "spell_rev\\sppr1##\\sppr121i.eff")

Spell Revisions (Spell Revisions v4 (pre-release)) was not installed due to errors.

...the folder spell_rev\sppr1## contains a file named dvpr121i.eff instead of the sppr121i.eff that is required"

There are a few such errors, the mod is looking for sppr___.eff, and the mod folder contains dvpr___.eff.  I only don't know what's actually in the .SPL files - whether the files in the mod folder should be renamed to match what Weidu is trying to copy, or whether the Weidu should be changed to match the name of the files in the mod folder.

The v4b17 package installs without errors.

These particular files were renamed, yes, but all the references to them were renamed to match.

My guess is that the user has a version of main_component.tpa from before v4b17.  Perhaps they are using v4b17 in conjunction with SR Revised v1.1.0.  SR Revised hasn't been updated for compatibility with v4b17 yet.

The user should choose between v4b17 only or v4b16 + SR Revised v1.1.0.