Activating a travel trigger with a door

Lauriel

8 hours ago, Lauriel said:

Sorry - I'm not seeing where there are doors (locked or otherwise) associated with the travel trigger regions in your tutorial.  I'm good with adding duplicate travel trigger regions, although your GW_CLONE_TRAVEL_TRIGGER macro/function is pretty cool and I'll snag that to put into my tool box.  Thank you very much :)

Do you have anything for door objects?

If I understand your request, you want to use the same door leading to different areas according to your mod. So you should not need to clone the door. Anyway, if you look at Lava's Ooze mod, you will find a few macros I wrote to insert a brand new door in the Slum District (specially dealing with the wed file).

7 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

If I understand your request, you want to use the same door leading to different areas according to your mod. So you should not need to clone the door.

I'd actually love to be able to clone the door, if the original one can be deactivated with a script - which I don't think it can.  So I'm stuck with using the existing door, but I can make it work.  The only snag is if the door is locked originally.  I need to make it use a key to unlock it, so I'll need to modify the original door to also be unlocked to begin with so the PC can enter it as close to normal before it's picked as a reward.  I'd prefer to keep them completely unchanged, but I don't see how to do that without being able to deactivate the original door.

8 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

Anyway, if you look at Lava's Ooze mod, you will find a few macros I wrote to insert a brand new door in the Slum District (specially dealing with the wed file).

Thank you!  I'll do that! :)

3 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

Unfortunately, you can't overlap doors. The engine does not allow to create two doors at the same location. The only way to deal with this is to create 2 travel triggers bound to the same door and to choose which travel trigger is used by script.

I was afraid of that.  Thank you for the verification. :)

1 minute ago, Gwendolyne said:

Fortunately, you can do a lot of things: for example, hide a container behind a door and have only aces to the container once the door is open (hidden behind a painting on a wall...).

You're a mind reader!  I was thinking of using artwork on the walls as hidden 'wall safes' in my houses. :)  This is going to be fun!

4 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

I wrote a tuto inspired by mod.

You can also cheat to create two different doors at the same location, one of the door being an animaiton.

I noticed animation doors in Firkraag's maze.  The door to the cell where the kidnapped child is being held is a door polygon.  If you view the region and filter layers with 'doors', it won't show up.  But if you filter 'door polygons', it does.  But if you look in the edit screen, it looks like a regular door.  I haven't studied it enough to understand the difference, when it's best to use one over the other, and what can having both there do for the area.  I'll be very interested in your tutorial.  Mahalo! 

On 2/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, Gwendolyne said:

A few years ago, I wrote this tuto for a French modder. It is written in French, but you should understand its meaning following the images. ;)

@Gwendolyne, I modified your GW_CLONE_TRAVEL_TRIGGER to allow for the passing of the original region's name.  In my case, there are 2 travel regions going to the same destination, so I can't just use that.  The only problem is, it's not finding the one I'm looking for because it's only bringing in the first 8 characters and the region names are all 9 characters in the area file.

This is what I have for the line that reads in the region name:

READ_ASCII ("%GW_region_off%" + 0x00 + (0xC4 * i)) "region_name"            // Region Name

What am I doing wrong?  Why isn't it reading in the entire name?

Edited by Lauriel
Just fixing typos and grammar...

Thank you, @Gwendolyne!  That worked.  I've attached the resulting .tpa file that I've adapted from your tutorial.  I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to reading in those files, but I think I made some handy changes to the code at large.  Also, I've put in some debugging stuff that helped me track down bugs.  I'll be taking it out once I'm positive it's fully bug-free.

Thank you again, for this and all the help you've given me!

GW_Cartes.tpa