Activating a travel trigger with a door

Lauriel

I'm allowing a reward of a house in the mod I'm working on.  To be the least intrusive on the game, quests, and other mods, a variety of houses can be on the list of possible rewards.  I'm only going to modify the one they select when they are awarded the key.  Then I activate a heretofore deactivated travel trigger, with a door requiring that key, set to be in the same exact place as it's original door and travel trigger.   It's over kill, but I want them to be able to sell the house by selling the key and then no longer have access to the house.  I don't want to close off all possible houses, just the one they pick.

The issue: The new travel trigger may not actually be activating (hard to tell).  The old door is still present (I tested by putting the key in a container in town), opens and closes, but you cannot enter the building, so the original travel trigger region is deactivating, but not its door.  What I think may be happening is the doors don't activate/deactivate along with their associated travel trigger regions.

If this is the case, is there a way to get the door to activate/deactivate?  Should they work together and I just did something wrong with linking them?

I can work around this by a simple area script that deactivates the travel trigger region if they no longer have the key, but I'm (admittedly) pedantic and want the door to tell them it won't open without the key.

Edited by Lauriel
6 minutes ago, jastey said:

did you deactivate the door with its name, as well?

How does one do that?  They're named the same as their travel trigger regions?  The door I put in needs a key to open, yes.  It should start out being closed and locked.  I went to the house prior to getting it as a reward, opened the original door, then went and got the key, ditched it immediately, and went to the house.  Door was open so must have been the original door because the new one should have started out closed and locked. 

Area (in EET) BG0200 travel trigger region Door0006 with attached door Door0006

EDIT: Clarification attached door name = Door0006 with id of DOOR0006.  Not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Edited by Lauriel

Hm. Could you patch the existing door, that it needs a key, but toggle accessibility by locking and unlocking it?

Just a note - this is Rinnie's house. In case you were planning on letting Rinnie vanish into the unknown by using the house for your mod, doing this to game content is usually not well received (and it would be incompatible with bg1re which adds contents for Rinnie).

How about adding a completely new travel trigger to a so far unused house?

2 minutes ago, jastey said:

Hm. Could you patch the existing door, that it needs a key, but toggle accessibility by locking and unlocking it?

I'll try that! :)

3 minutes ago, jastey said:

Just a note - this is Rinnie's house. In case you were planning on letting Rinnie vanish into the unknown by using the house for your mod, doing this to game content is usually not well received (and it would be incompatible with bg1re which adds contents for Rinnie).

How about adding a completely new travel trigger to a so far unused house?

I know, but it's the only house available in SoD.  I'll move Rinnie next door when the house is awarded.  And they don't have to pick that house, either. :)

2 hours ago, Lauriel said:
2 hours ago, jastey said:

I'll try that!

I can't even get the door to close and lock via an area script.  CloseDoor("DOOR0006") didn't work.  I tried renaming the door object to "DOR0006" and CloseDoor("DOR0006") still didn't work.  Same with Lock("..").  I don't see a flag that would stand in the way.

The script runs, that I know, because part of it is transferring objects into the chest located on the ground floor.  They are there just as they should be.

I'm getting frustrated.

50 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

A few years ago, I wrote this tuto for a French modder. It is written in French, but you should understand its meaning following the images. ;)

Sorry - I'm not seeing where there are doors (locked or otherwise) associated with the travel trigger regions in your tutorial.  I'm good with adding duplicate travel trigger regions, although your GW_CLONE_TRAVEL_TRIGGER macro/function is pretty cool and I'll snag that to put into my tool box.  Thank you very much :)

Do you have anything for door objects?

7 hours ago, Lauriel said:

I can't even get the door to close and lock via an area script.  CloseDoor("DOOR0006") didn't work.  I tried renaming the door object to "DOR0006" and CloseDoor("DOR0006") still didn't work.  Same with Lock("..").  I don't see a flag that would stand in the way.

The script runs, that I know, because part of it is transferring objects into the chest located on the ground floor.  They are there just as they should be.

I wonder if this is because I've already been to the area and it's 'creation' functionality has already run.  Could that be interfering with my results?

EDIT: It is.  When I load a previous save game and just manually set the necessary globals, it works fine.  And I found an action command that attaches a travel trigger region to a door.  Don't know if works or not, but I might be able to do all I need to do with that.

Thanks @jastey, for the idea of using the current door to do my dirty work.

Now...if I can only get it to NOT consume the key when it unlocks the door.  Will have to look at the flags.  But that's a separate issue.  Thanks everyone! :)

Edited by Lauriel
4 hours ago, Lauriel said:

Now...if I can only get it to NOT consume the key when it unlocks the door.  Will have to look at the flags.  But that's a separate issue.

It's a separate issue, but I may as well wrap it up here.  The bit 'uses key' doesn't mean it needs a key to open, it means, 'it consumes the key'.  So, spectacularly simple fix.  Though I'm going to miss the 'twang' sound when the door opens.  I like the sound indicating that a key opened the door.  I'll have to see if I can put it back in.  ...  because I'm picky picky picky.  Maybe I'll use the sound that plays when someone tries to open a locked door...if I can figure out how to attach it to the action of unlocking the door.  What a can of worms I've opened!