Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate mod packages when you publish a release

12 hours ago, suy said:

No. AsciiDoc is the input, HTML the output, and the tool is the generator. I don't update the HTML along the AsciiDoc, because I preview the AsciiDoc either directly in my browser via an extension, or on Github/Gitlab/etc. Same as any other generated file. I don't diff those, as different parameters to the generation create different outputs. I just ship it to users because they have no use of the source, but of the output. Same that I don't diff the generated assembly of the code that I just compiled.

I understand the reason why you like it that way. It's common to generate some useful output. All I'm saying is that if you want those HTML files to be present inside your mod directory for Windows users who do use the PI mod update feature, you need to have them inside the repo. 

12 hours ago, suy said:
  • The IEMOD format has no binary embedded inside, like IMHO, it should be. It's just a ZIP file.
  • The claim that the ZIP file doesn't have a Linux binary because "for Linux is impossible" is wrong, and I just pointed out that.
  • You said that you meant something else, which is fine, but then I point out that then it makes even less sense any claim that you can't put a Linux binary (and I insist, Linux binary... Linux-only binary), because it can just have a different name than the other two. The MacOS version already has a wrapper to run it, so the Linux one could have it as well, and pass the arguments to WeiDU so it can be "double clicked to run", if anyone is interested in that. I'm not asking for you to do the work (I'm not asking anyone to do the work, because I don't think any Linux users are gonna care at all).

To summarize: IEMOD seems fine to me, and I don't see why the need of a ZIP package with binaries inside, but if it has to have them, better do it right. I see more Linux users on Discord than Mac ones (though might be survivor bias), and with the Steamdeck this can go even higher.

Now it makes sense. But iemod packages are not simple zip file as those can have variants and disallowed content. The one of key points of having iemod package is that it won't have weidu binaries. Instead, a mod manager will provide it. For Windows, there is PI, for Mac there is MacWeiduLauncher, the solution for Linux is right around the corner.

I agree that it's possible to have a different name for weidu executable along with an additional shell script that will launch it. I will rewrite this statement. So far you are yet another person who claims that "Linux users don't care". For now, no Linux stuff inside the IAP zip unless there is a strong desire to do so.